Phase 2 of ‘We Travel Together’ may be cancelled over corruption

webfact

7 hours ago, meechai said:

See....this is a problem that will only continue. It is endemic to Thailand/Thai's

The reason is they are raised watching how Hi-So, govt etc get away with murder..... literally

They watch corrupt govt officials with their snouts in the trough get rich

They watch Police with their illegal fines get rich

They watch Immigration with their brown envelopes from visa agents get rich

Why would they not say "My Turn"???

One way out of this is enforce rule of law with REAL punishments dished out no matter who you are period

That's it in a nut-shell:

"My turn" - - - what's good for the goose is good for the gander.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

So far, more than 200 people have been prosecuted for defrauding this and other government schemes to stimulate the pandemic-hit economy.  

Wow.

Justice sure moves fast, in some cases.

What are these "other" corrupt givernment schemes?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

All parties must cooperate – givers, receivers and service providers. They must help each other by providing information so that we can arrest these fraudsters,” he added.

give whistleblower protection, and a lot of people will report.

as long as WB is not protected, no chance people will risk their 15-20k job by telling where the millions go.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha was reportedly furious when he heard details of the graft

...and what of the billions of Baht that the richest dozen people in Thailand were forced to donate to his "Covid recovery fund" back at the end of April? It would be interesting to hear where all that cash went, though I suspect a Swiss numbered account is most likely. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Can I also claim?

Probably stating I have a 50 room hotel.

One night I dreaming I owned a massive 5*star hotel and contacted TAT.

They agreed and put me on "their" programme too.

I'll vouch for you as i dreamt being in a 5-star hotel last night. Guess it could have been your hotel.

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

...and what of the billions of Baht that the richest dozen people in Thailand were forced to donate to his "Covid recovery fund" back at the end of April? It would be interesting to hear where all that cash went, though I suspect a Swiss numbered account is most likely. 

Indeed. There's a curious juxtaposition in that articles in TV about Mr Prayut having resolved corruption share page time with otheratricles opining that corruption is worse under Prayuth that at any other time in TL.

Personally, I take the latter position. Yes, the police are corrupt from top to bottom. Ditto the armed forces. Anyone pretending to not understand this must have a degree of determination that I personally cannot aspire to. I do not have fairies at the bottom of my garden, and those who believe they do have got a bigger problem than I can assist with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This 'government's' "schemes" seem susceptible to corruption. Who could have known?

Around 9,000 people to face charges for allegedly defrauding travel subsidy scheme

Around 9,000 people will face criminal charges for allegedly defrauding the “We Travel Together” subsidy scheme which was launched to stimulate the economy and to help hotels and restaurants that were struggling after the lack of travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The national police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk says the police plan to prosecute around 9,000 people for conspiring with hotel operators and shop owners to cheat the government subsidy scheme. The scheme, launched by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, covered 40% of room rates and issued 600 baht and 900 baht food vouchers for food and travel.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/around-9000-people-to-face-charges-for-allegedly-defrauding-travel-subsidy-scheme

Imagine these schemes will be the subject of the expected upcoming censure debate.

Not at all surprised.....it is normal.

Along with blatant lying, it is socially acceptable behaviour.

It's a desperately sad state of affairs when the legacy of 80 years of military government corruption changes a populations culture.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This 'government's' "schemes" seem susceptible to corruption. Who could have known?

Nothing uncommon in that.

The report said the true value lost to fraud may be closer to the higher end of the estimate "due to the higher than usual levels of fraud that accompany disaster management".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53370673

I have had a good run, 17 nights away under the scheme, bit sad if it comes to an end. Unfortunately there are always those that think they can get away with it.