Suspected Russian hacking spree used another major tech supplier -sources

webfact

It's worth pointing out amidst all this outrage about the reported hack of US systems, that we do not know what if indeed anything happened.  We can only rely on the reports of the intelligence community and private companies to tell us what happened and who might have been responsible.  We will never see anything that would constitute evidence and could not evaluate it if we did.  In addition, there will never be any real world result that can definitively be attributed to this hack.  Sort of like the Chelsea Manning or Ed Snowden revelations.  The intelligence community screams about all the damage they did, but we can only take there word for it.

For my part, I intend to ignore the whole incident as not worth my time to think about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, candide said:

It has been wrong on order! Dick Cheney has been initially quite angry at the CIA because they failed to provide him with the intelligence he expected. Eventually, the CIA complied.

so you are saying the CIA plays politics and can follow an agenda? thanks for proving my point ????

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

It's worth pointing out amidst all this outrage about the reported hack of US systems, that we do not know what if indeed anything happened.  We can only rely on the reports of the intelligence community and private companies to tell us what happened and who might have been responsible.  We will never see anything that would constitute evidence and could not evaluate it if we did.  In addition, there will never be any real world result that can definitively be attributed to this hack.  Sort of like the Chelsea Manning or Ed Snowden revelations.  The intelligence community screams about all the damage they did, but we can only take there word for it.

For my part, I intend to ignore the whole incident as not worth my time to think about.

absolutely, and let's not forget that the CIA has its own agenda, and is nothing more than a political police for international affairs

it's interesting to see anti-Trump supporters defending the CIA lies, when they were pointing out those some lies when it was  another POTUS

• Like 1

12 hours ago, candide said:

It has been wrong on order! Dick Cheney has been initially quite angry at the CIA because they failed to provide him with the intelligence he expected. Eventually, the CIA complied.

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

so you are saying the CIA plays politics and can follow an agenda? thanks for proving my point ????

Trump pressuring the CIA to accuse Russia, that's completely incoherent.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, Tug said:

It’s a big deal damage is still being assessed lots went wrong on trumps watch what a disaster on every level and in every way a true fubar 

the true extent of the damage may never be known. I expect the data that is not being utilized (economically/militarily) will be sold to the highest bidder, thus the repercussions will start to be seen coming in from all directions in the foreseeable future..

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

the true extent of the damage may never be known. I expect the data that is not being utilized (economically/militarily) will be sold to the highest bidder, thus the repercussions will start to be seen coming in from all directions in the foreseeable future..

not presently actionable intelligence is not sold off by state actors as  they have their juicy government budgets to rely on.  selling secrets would tip off the targets that their data has been compromised.  they're held in storage for possible potential future needs, and to protect sources and methods.

non-state actors, random hipster hacker groups who do have access to hacking tools used by governments once released into the wild, would be looking to sell whatever they can get their filthy digital hands on before it reaches the expiration date, or is accessed by other random hacker groups.

i don't recall seeing any of "her" yoga schedules and chicken fried steak recipes amongst the 33k missing emails on an unsecured server that were accessed by multiple state actors yet never released publicly.

As if it wasn't already abundantly clear who gives the orders (hint; he's not American????

The White House was set to accuse Russia of the devastating cyberattack on the US government's computer systems but was told at the last minute to stand down

"Throughout his presidency, Trump has downplayed or sought to shift blame from Russia in response to hostile actions against the US. 

In July, it was revealed that Trump had taken no action when briefed that Russia was paying militants in Afghanistan a bounty for killing US troops.

The president has consistently refused to unequivocally accept the evidence from US intelligence agencies finding Russia responsible for attempts to interfere with US elections, including the 2016 election."

The man-child and his boss:

Capture.JPG

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, simple1 said:

trump has downplayed / deflected Russian involvement with the latest round of hacking, again contrary to advise from US intelligence and SecDef. It will be interesting to understand what motivates trump to contradict his own people - wonder if the facts will ever reach the light of day...

https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-with-alex-witt/watch/trump-tweet-downplays-russia-hack-implicates-china-98074181766

"It will be interesting to understand what motivates trump to contradict his own people..."

He makes a lot of money from Russian "investments" and hopes to make a lot more.  Plus, if things get really hot, he needs a friendly country that won't extradite him he can hide in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/21/us/politics/russia-hack-treasury.html

Treasury Department’s Senior Leaders Were Targeted by Hacking

The Russian hackers who penetrated United States government agencies broke into the email system used by the Treasury Department’s most senior leadership, a Democratic member of the Senate Finance Committee said on Monday, the first detail of how deeply Moscow burrowed into the Trump administration’s networks.

In a statement after a briefing for committee staff members, Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, who has often been among the sharpest critics of the National Security Agency and other intelligence agencies, said that the Treasury Department had acknowledged that “the agency suffered a serious breach, beginning in July, the full depth of which isn’t known.”