Meat rabbits

Delman15

Thais dont really Eat Rabbit .

I dont know why.

I personally would go to a Local Market and get a Pair or 2 Baby Rabbits and grow them on to Breed.

They will set you back about 150 Baht each, and the Vendor should Sex them for you.

You could possibly try 2 or 3 different Sources for purchase to reduce the Inbreeding potential.

Plenty of cats around, catch em, skin em, sell as bunny, hardly anyone can tell the diff. That's what they did during the wartime rationing in UK until the gov made it law the rabbits had to be sold with the head still attached. Plenty of Brit families were unknowingly having moggy stew for dinner. ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Thais dont really Eat Rabbit .

I dont know why.

I personally would go to a Local Market and get a Pair or 2 Baby Rabbits and grow them on to Breed.

They will set you back about 150 Baht each, and the Vendor should Sex them for you.

You could possibly try 2 or 3 different Sources for purchase to reduce the Inbreeding potential.

They pet rabbit breeds are useless for meat. They don't grow large enough and have little meat on them.

The meat rabbit breeds are bred for fast growth and to get to a large size with lots of flesh. 

If he uses pet shop rabbits he will end up with more bones than meat. 

• Like 1

I was thinking of the same thing some months ago, have been searching but so far all I found is pets and weird inbreds, nothing worth harvesting for meat or durable cony leather.

Please post updates if you do find a breeder, I would be interested as well.

8 hours ago, TSF said:

Plenty of cats around, catch em, skin em, sell as bunny, hardly anyone can tell the diff. That's what they did during the wartime rationing in UK until the gov made it law the rabbits had to be sold with the head still attached. Plenty of Brit families were unknowingly having moggy stew for dinner. ????

Thats what my parents told me also , never eaten rabbit at home because of that reason .

Link to another recent topic that may be helpful

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1195417-need-rabbits/?tab=comments#comment-16068458

A quote from an old topic ...

Just call University Kasetsart Khampaeng Saen near Nakhon Pathom. They breed new zealand white and another grey race, both 3-4kg, but don't send them to anywhere, you have to go there.

Nok Air allowes the transport, I checked in with 18 Bunnies, from Don Muang to Udon Thani, no problem, forgot how much but it wasn't really expensive.

Edited by chickenslegs