New Mini Mac to TV ?

jonwilly

I see the new Mini mac is getting good reviews.

I have a 2012 iMac and an even older Macbook Pro, both of which I had upgraded to SSD.

Talk of a new iMac next year.

I am considering buying a new Mini Mac and understand that it has a HDMI slot, with this I could connect to my 4K TV and watch on a 42" screen.

Is it posssible to connect to a TV or would I need to buy a dedicated computer screen ?

john

4 hours ago, jonwilly said:

My original post was badly worded.

What I should have said is, Will the workings of a computer run on a TV ?

I know both have a HDMI connection but do they "Speak" to eack other in same language.

john

You are wording your question strangely 

An HDMI output will, in general, display on a display with an HDMI input.

Can you use a TV as a computer monitor? Yes. But it will be a poor choice as a TV has a very low resolution compared to even a low quality computer monitor. 

Computer monitors are designed for viewing at close distance so have small pixels at high density. TVs are designed for viewing at much greater distances so have larger much less dense pixels. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, jonwilly said:

Thank you.

I am a user not an expert on electronics.

If I don't know I ask.

john

I was thinking the same, I’m waiting for a apple silicon iMac too, and was thinking of getting a m1 mini to keep me going until the new iMac is released.

I thought what could I do with the Mac mini, put it under the TV? There are so many better and cheaper alternatives, even my TV has some pretty capable software. Putting it under the TV is a bit of a waste.
I will wait, my old unsupported MacBook Pro can keep going until a new desktop replacement arrives.

6 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I have found that I can watch vids from my iPad on my TV using my HMDI cable, so I think I will be OK using a Mac Mini.

john

As mentioned you will sacrifice a great deal of resolution by doing that, so as I said yes it will display and if you just want to watch movies you probably will not notice much difference. But if you want to do anything related to text you will only be able to use about ½ to ⅓ of the usual screen space as the quoted TV resolution is interlaced so is about ½ the published number.

The Mac Mini is able to put out 4096 x 2160 on HDMI at 60Hz that is a resolution virtually no TVs are capable of displaying with any degree of sharpness if they can display it at all.

Your iPad can’t produce anything like that on it’s own display whichever iPad you have.

so if you are happy with the low resolution you will get using a TV great, but know that it could be much better with a monitor.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 5 months later...

Just ordered a Mini Mac from Apple Singapore will be delivered 17/06 to 21/06. so will get an answer then.

I have been happy watching my iPad on my TV last few days and if not happy then my local dealer will get to sell me a Monitor.

john

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Just ordered a Mini Mac from Apple Singapore will be delivered 17/06 to 21/06. so will get an answer then.

I have been happy watching my iPad on my TV last few days and if not happy then my local dealer will get to sell me a Monitor.

john

If your TV supports 4096 by 2160 pixels at 60Hz (HDMI)or

Up to 6016 by 3384 pixels at 60 Hz your TV may be OK

The iPad display is likely to be 2160-by-1620-pixel resolution though that depends on the iPad it could be slightly different but not by much

So you need about double the resolution on your TV compared to your iPad 

also the pixels on a monitor are much smaller because you use them at very different distances 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Quite happy with the way my iPad Pro plays on my TV.

I am not a nerd just a user, looking forward to playing on TV with the Mini Mac, problems then I  can afford a monitor.

john

Not had a new toy for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

john

I was waiting for a big iMac, but got tired of waiting so I bought a 250GB / 16GB RAM last week - it’s pretty damn cool .. not like a computer experience, but different from a iPad experience. I think you will be really pleased.

Im just confused why you would use it with a TV, you can stream video over wifi to your smart TV / android box / appleTV. Anyways, each to their own, it will do what you want but just a bit excessive.

The Mac mini does come with home, TV+ app and I also got a 3 month subscription to Apple Arcade so you can play mini motorways on your TV - but there is no Netflix or HBOgo app.

Hope all works out well.

It will be nice to be able to do most of my computer work from comfort of my Laz Boy Chair. 

Also during the smog season I go away to the seaside for a couple of months. the hotel I use has TVs with a HDMI connection which will be very good for me.

Thanks folks for all useful comments.

john

• Like 2

IMG_0220.HEICI received my Mac Mini at 14.00 today. 

Spent the afternoon learning about Macs again, I had forgotten so much on the basics for its over 10 years since I got my iMac and even longer when I bought my MacBook.

Very pleased with the picture I get on my TV, enough for a pure amateur such as I, the serious players among you will have to make their minds up.

Tried three Mice and all where poor in their Blue tooth performance, settled on a Logitech Roller ball that I have.

The Bluetooth keyboard was ify but seems to have settled down, still early days and the new Mac has cured its problem

A few years and a couple of new systems back all the keys in one area failed to work, UIOPJKL:M<>, I took the keyboard down town and it performed perfectly in my test shop.

So well pleased, early days and fast, yesterday I transferred some movies from a Folder on HHD to another HDD, time 58 mins. Today I moved the same folder on the HDD disk to my remaining HDD using the Mac Mini. 14 mins.

john

Edited by jonwilly
  • Like 2

So after a weekend I can now say that the Bluetooth problem has sorted its self out, I upgrade any updates and now fine. Mind you I do prefere to use my Logitech Roller Ball M570

Only problem is occasionally I lose connection and get a blank screen but by operating my TV channel control it goes immediately to the chosen HDMI channel. This has never happened when I used to play my iPad Pro onto my TV.

One more scene from my chosen holiday destination PKK.

john

IMG_2837.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

So after a weekend I can now say that the Bluetooth problem has sorted its self out, I upgrade any updates and now fine. Mind you I do prefere to use my Logitech Roller Ball M570

Only problem is occasionally I lose connection and get a blank screen but by operating my TV channel control it goes immediately to the chosen HDMI channel. This has never happened when I used to play my iPad Pro onto my TV.

One more scene from my chosen holiday destination PKK.

john

IMG_2837.JPG

I have a keychron BT keyboard, they aren't very expensive and it connects first time - I used to use on my MacBook Pro, and it was a constant headache, to preserve power, they switch off BT.

Did you buy the 8GB RAM, because the reviews said there were issues, so far I haven't experienced any issues with the 16GB RAM.

Logitec is a f'in disappointment - I have a MX Master 2, every once in a while it drop the functionality of the side buttons. Logitec flow doesn't work reliably between windows and Mac. Logi options seems a bit of a mess and I have had to reinstall twice after it has refused to start.

I have an issue with screens, I have a dual monitor over USB-C and the Mac doesn't understand the refresh rate - I just turned off the "sleep monitor after xx min" to "always on" and its fine.

Thank you, had a quick look and will study in depth later.

I am aware that there is a device called a Luna Display which will set up with Headless. About $80 memory says.

I always appreciate sensible advice.

john

Thanks recome.

I bought the 16 GB RAM, I know all the experts say the cheaper 8GB RAM is more that enough for an amateur but I seriously think this is the last computer I will ever buy and so I have future proofed.  I may get a serious monitor, but not just yet.

I like logitech and use with USB connection.

I first considered buying a Mac Mini last year when the new model appeared but as I was expecting a large medical bill for Cataract surgery I held off until the Doctor advised a couple of weeks back that in his opinion I am OK for 3-5 years.

john

Hi  I also just bought the mac mini but i got the 8GB ram as I don't see me using it for anything heavy usage now or in the future. Its my first apple computer so I am learning from scratch so far I like it. I also went and bought this docking station for more ports and external SSD hard drive capacity it works very well so far. 

https://shopee.co.th/Hagibis-USB-C-Hub-for-Mac-mini-M1-with-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-Type-C-SSD-Case-docking-station-sliver-for-2020-New-Mac-mini-i.220116883.9527289994.  

Regards 

Scotsman 

Dart12

i had never heard of  chromecast and am confused. I have found it available but I also found a page which states not available in your area.

Thanks all more info for me I will continue checking and see what I can find.

Looks like a set top box set up so far.

john

Just to update, I received my AGPATEK hub and bought a 1 Terra internal SSD for it.

Picture below of my set up. Very difficult to locate a 2 T SSD, still all went together, even a Thicky like me can manage.

I tried transferring the large Photos file from my 1Terra external SSD to my 1 Terra internal SSD in the AGPATEK hub  4 mins compared to 58 mins from external HDD to HDD on my iPad and 14 mins when I moved the same folder on the HDD disk to my remaining HDD using the Mac Mini. 

Bluetooth performing as it should and I am quite happy with this years Toy.

John

IMG_0239.HEIC

10 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Just to update, I received my AGPATEK hub and bought a 1 Terra internal SSD for it.

Picture below of my set up. Very difficult to locate a 2 T SSD, still all went together, even a Thicky like me can manage.

The problem is that 2TB SATA SSDs are not common due to the rise of NVMe drives, however OWC has 2TB SATA in stock and up to 8TB NVMe but those are a little expensive. 

36 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

The shop I used tried to get a 2T SATA but even Invadeit which supposedly had them proved unable to provided.

john

They may well be virtually unavailable here but as I said OWC (Other World Computing) has them and ships internationally. I haven’t used them to ship to Thailand only to Japan and I don’t remember which courier company they use. They also have the 8TB NVMe sticks. They answer the phones and are very helpful