Gal Gadot defends Cleopatra casting after ‘whitewashing’ backlash

snoop1130

Gal Gadot defends Cleopatra casting after ‘whitewashing’ backlash

By Ellie Harrison

700bd75a7240df5371e9cc3366a60152.jpg

Gal Gadot has defended her decision to play Cleopatra, following criticism that she is whitewashing the Queen of Egypt.

Israeli star Gadot caused controversy in October when she announced that she would star in and co-produce a forthcoming film about Cleopatra, with critics arguing that an Arab or African actor should play the ancient monarch.

“First of all, if you want to be true to the facts then Cleopatra was Macedonian,” Gadot told BBC Arabic's Sam Asi.

“We were looking for a Macedonian actress that could fit Cleopatra. She wasn’t there, and I was very passionate about Cleopatra.”

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/gal-gadot-cleopatra-whitewashing-b1778032.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought that the objective was to make money.  I can't think of a bigger draw to get (male) butts in seats.

On a side note, I recently discovered a YouTube critic named The Critical Drinker.  Well worth a listen.  He's got some opinions about virtue signaling in the movies.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, impulse said:

I thought that the objective was to make money.  I can't think of a bigger draw to get (male) butts in seats.

On a side note, I recently discovered a YouTube critic named The Critical Drinker.  Well worth a listen.  He's got some opinions about virtue signaling in the movies.

She’s hot (what other qualification do you need ... OK perhaps a bit of acting skill) so that movie makes it to my must see list. 

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“First of all, if you want to be true to the facts then Cleopatra was Macedonian,” Gadot told BBC Arabic's Sam Asi.

I think she should have told him something quite different... If black and latino kids in Brooklyn could put on "Fiddler on the Roof" in 1969, how is one basically mediterranean woman playing another basically mediterranean woman (of whom no reliable depictions exist) even an issue in 2020? 

I guess we're just lucky it hasn't morphed into "Cleopatrans".

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, onebir said:

I think she should have told him something quite different... If black and latino kids in Brooklyn could put on "Fiddler on the Roof" in 1969, how is one basically mediterranean woman playing another basically mediterranean woman (of whom no reliable depictions exist) even an issue in 2020? 

I guess we're just lucky it hasn't morphed into "Cleopatrans".

interestingly  enough I started watching 'Bridgerton'  tv series set in Regency England yesterday.

Apparently around 10% of the aristocracy in that period were non-white including the queen of England.

Yup 2020 - the year to complain about virtually anything.

Cleopatra was indeed Macedonian, and Macedonians were, and still are, white. If you're gonna complain, then complain about something factual.

Interestingly, we never hear complaints about gay actors portraying straight characters, but straight actors playing gay/LGBTQ etc, is apparently forbidden now. It's called acting folks - if you're only playing a character based on what you are, then it's not acting.

• Like 1