U.S. Holds War Games In Thailand Despite Coup

Jai Dee

Multinational exercise kicks off in central Thailand

The annual Cobra Gold multinational military exercise kicked off in Thailand's central province Chon Buri Tuesday, jointly participated by Thailand, the United States, Singapore, Japan and Indonesia.

'Cobra Gold 2007' which will last for 11 days, marks the 26th anniversary of this regularly scheduled joint training event hosted by Thailand.

Alexander A. Arvizu, US Deputy Chief of Mission, said at the opening ceremony Tuesday that "over recent years, Cobra Gold has evolved from a strictly bilateral joint exercise (by the US and Thailand) to a multilateral event designed to enhance our ability to respond to peace enforcement and peacekeeping responsibilities under the United Nations."

There are 5,324 personnel participating in the Cobra Gold exercise this year. Among them, 3,089 are from Thailand, 2091 from the US, while the rest from Singapore, Japan and Indonesia.

In addition, there will be ten Multinational Planning Augmentation Team member countries participating in a peace support operations mission scenario.

Six other countries, including China, Republic of Korea, the Philippines, Australia, France and Germany, also sent representatives to attend the event as observers.

This year's event will be the most acrobatic exercise in its history as it will face significant change of externality, according to a briefing by the Thai Supreme Command.

The exercise consists of a computer-simulated staff exercise, field training exercises and humanitarian/civic action project. It will be conducted across various areas of Thailand, with the major venue set in Sattahip district, Chun Buri province.

Source: Xinhua - 09 May 2007

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A wonderful heart wrenching moment. I'm sure the Thai locals are looking at the work being done and thinking if they were doing the work then they would get paid for that. I'm sure they appreciate the U.S. troops taking jobs from them.
Imagine how much help they could give if they just donated the money or medical equpment directly to these run down hospitals instead of using air and naval operations as an excuse to visit Thailand.

It's nice to help poor people with their health care needs but I really don't trust their motives. It almost sounds like vote buying.

Do I detect a certain amount of cynicism here? :D

Just a bit. :o

A wonderful heart wrenching moment. I'm sure the Thai locals are looking at the work being done and thinking if they were doing the work then they would get paid for that. I'm sure they appreciate the U.S. troops taking jobs from them.
Imagine how much help they could give if they just donated the money or medical equpment directly to these run down hospitals instead of using air and naval operations as an excuse to visit Thailand.

It's nice to help poor people with their health care needs but I really don't trust their motives. It almost sounds like vote buying.

Do I detect a certain amount of cynicism here? :o

You are being far too complimentary to Poor Richard.

Even though I might seem to have a grudge against the U.S. and some in their military, I do appreciate having my U.S. military retirement and this forum to help me vent my frustration.

Retirement to Thailand is quite nice after 20 years in the U.S. Army. Perhaps one day I will get a job but for now I am happy watching my son grow up.

To keep this on topic, maybe some Cobra Gold participants will retire to Thailand as well.

Even though I might seem to have a grudge against the U.S. and some in their military, I do appreciate having my U.S. military retirement and this forum to help me vent my frustration.

Retirement to Thailand is quite nice after 20 years in the U.S. Army. Perhaps one day I will get a job but for now I am happy watching my son grow up.

To keep this on topic, maybe some Cobra Gold participants will retire to Thailand as well.

Aren't you a hero.

Maybe the U.S. military is getting tips from the Thai military on how to over throw the President of the United States.

The U.S. military dose a lot of good duriing these war games, provide free medical and dental to the local villages and help with schools and orphanages and of course training for disaster relief

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Thailand already have free medical care?

Not really sure what they do with schools. I can't imagine it is too much if they have been comming here for a quarter of a century and the schools are less than impressive.

Not really sure about their disaster relief either. We saw their performance with Katrina. Unless it is the Thai's training the U.S. how to conduct diaster relief.

The only good it does is for the troops when they go into Pattaya and find short term girlfriends to help pay for them sick buffalos back in the bargirls village. I'm sure during their shore leave safety briefing they pass out free condoms to the troops to make sure they wives and girlfriends back in the USA don't catch any STDs.

It seems like a waste of U.S. taxpayer money and it should probably be cancelled.

You have never been on these type training mission or you would know how valuable this is . As far as a bit of liberty "try a ship for a couple of months and even your back-yard would look good.

Thai-US annual military exercise "Cobra Gold" begins

Thailand and the United States began their annual joint exercise code-named "Cobra Gold 2007" to strengthen the military relations between the two countries and to build up regional cooperation.

Thai Supreme Commander General Boonsang Niampradit and Alexander A. Arvizu, Charge d'Affaires of the US Embassy jointly presided over the launching ceremony of the exercise at Jomtian Beach in the eastern province of Chonburi.

Cobra Gold 2007 marks the 26th anniversary of the annual exercise held to promote regional peace and security. The exercise is slated to take place in various locations throughout Thailand May 8 to 18.

Cobra Gold is a Thai and United States sponsored exercise designed to train a multinational Combined Task Force.

In addition, there will be a joint Thai-Japanese-and-Singapore United Nations Force Headquarters Planning Cell. The exercise will demonstrate US Pacific Command's ability to deploy a joint task force rapidly to conduct joint and combined operations, conduct transition planning with a UN force, and improve multi-national military-to-military relationships among Pacific allies.

Events held during Cobra Gold 2007 will consist of a computer simulated staff exercise, senior leaders seminar, various field training exercises and 11 humanitarian and civic action projects consisting of four engineering construction projects and seven medical, dental and veterinary clinics.

Apart from Thailand and the US forces, Singapore, Japan and Indonesia also sent the military personnel to participate in the exercise with more than 5,000 staff involved in the training which would cover the eastern provinces of Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, the western provinces of Prachuab Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi, the central province of Lopburi and the upper part of the Gulf of Thailand.

Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei and India attend the exercise as observers, Gen. Boonsang said.

The supreme commander said that the Cobra Gold exercise was an activity that could strengthen security cooperation in the region, and it could boost the ability of the army staff as it was the opportunity for the Thai armed forces to exchange their experience with the US counterparts.

"They (Thai troops) can learn the newest military technology from the participating countries," he said.

Meanwhile, Mr. Arvizu said that during the past 25 years, Cobra Gold has been the most significant symbol of Thai-US military cooperation.

The exercise had developed from a bilateral exercise into a multilateral exercise with an aim to increase the capability of peacekeeping missions under a United Nations mandate, he said.

The exercise is designed to improve interoperability of those participating along with building friendly cooperative relations.

Multi-national responses to regional contingencies are likely to be the norm in the future and Cobra Gold is a way for the countries participating to prepare for such a response.

Source: TNA -09 May 2007

Maybe the U.S. military is getting tips from the Thai military on how to over throw the President of the United States.

The U.S. military dose a lot of good duriing these war games, provide free medical and dental to the local villages and help with schools and orphanages and of course training for disaster relief

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Thailand already have free medical care?

Not really sure what they do with schools. I can't imagine it is too much if they have been comming here for a quarter of a century and the schools are less than impressive.

Not really sure about their disaster relief either. We saw their performance with Katrina. Unless it is the Thai's training the U.S. how to conduct diaster relief.

The only good it does is for the troops when they go into Pattaya and find short term girlfriends to help pay for them sick buffalos back in the bargirls village. I'm sure during their shore leave safety briefing they pass out free condoms to the troops to make sure they wives and girlfriends back in the USA don't catch any STDs.

It seems like a waste of U.S. taxpayer money and it should probably be cancelled.

You have never been on these type training mission or you would know how valuable this is . As far as a bit of liberty "try a ship for a couple of months and even your back-yard would look good.

As far as training missions go, to the military member, it's all beneficial. And your right, I have never been on a ship for that long but in 20 years, I have been in hundreds of training missions.

I still think, at a time when military money is tight in the USA, that this exercise should have been cancelled.

The military is getting enough pratice in Iraq and Afganistan. They don't need to come to Thailand and flex their military muscle. Especially when images of the U.S. military is causing a lot more resentment in the world than it has since the Vietnam war.

BAN NON KROB, Thailand - Seabees from Naval Mobile Constrction Battalion-3 (NMCB-3), Port Hueneme, Ca. (currently deployed to Camp Shields, Okinawa, Japan) lay brick for a storage facility for a school being constructed in Ban Nong Krob, Thailand in support of Cobra Gold 2007. Cobra Gold 07 is focusing on maintaining and improving military-to-military relationships among the Thailand, the United States, Singapore, Japan and Indonesia and on exercising multi-lateral interoperability. The exercise demonstrates joint and multinational capabilities and interoperability in conducting United Nations sanctioned Peace Support Operations (PSO) contingency response planning and execution. (Offical USMC Photo by by MGySgt H. Farrell)

laying brick by day; laying pipe at night :o

not a bad exercise at all........

BAN NON KROB, Thailand - Seabees from Naval Mobile Constrction Battalion-3 (NMCB-3), Port Hueneme, Ca. (currently deployed to Camp Shields, Okinawa, Japan) lay brick for a storage facility for a school being constructed in Ban Nong Krob, Thailand in support of Cobra Gold 2007. Cobra Gold 07 is focusing on maintaining and improving military-to-military relationships among the Thailand, the United States, Singapore, Japan and Indonesia and on exercising multi-lateral interoperability. The exercise demonstrates joint and multinational capabilities and interoperability in conducting United Nations sanctioned Peace Support Operations (PSO) contingency response planning and execution. (Offical USMC Photo by by MGySgt H. Farrell)

laying brick by day; laying pipe at night :o

not a bad exercise at all........

For a lot of Thai girls in Pattaya, Cobra Gold is appropriately named.

Cobra meaning snake and gold meaning money. :D

Edited by richard10365

Military style house cleaning, hup-to exercises, house to house triage, some good old fashioned SeaBee structure and bridge replacement readiness, and oh yeah, gotta remind those Singaporean dudes how to slide from a 100' platform on a 1" hair rope with a couple of slices of bamboo for the brake...

THEN: PARTY TIME!

I see yet another possibly interesting thread on this forum has deteriorated into the all too familiar America / American bashing rhetoric which is oh-so common here.

Since Cobra Gold has existed for 25 years; even a moron could Google information about the benefits these exercises have brought into the glorious "Land 'O Thais". Google returned 1,950,000 results in 0.10 seconds, so go read up on the facts BEFORE you even start to slag off America.

To suggest (as one poster did) it would be better to hand out money, equipment or medical supplies and let the thais dole it out as they see fit is quite the uninformed statement to make. Don't forget vast amounts of money went "missing" from the tsunami relief funds which poured into the glorious "Land 'O Thais" post tsunami. When an international audit team wanted to peruse the accounting there was, to say the least, a "lack of willing cooperation" from this country. Of course it was masked in mock outrage that anyone could/would question their accounting practices or methods. Hmmm, wonder why?

The US military does many valuable public services here, just as they have each and every time they've run these exercises. To say they take jobs away from the thais is another gross generalization formulated by first world people embracing their 'thai-ness'. IF a thai wants to work, I mean really wants to work, they can find a job. Maybe not in their home town, but they can work IF they want to. It's the lazy ones who bitch, piss and moan, not the ones who want to work, because; wow go figure, they're already working. Don't even start on the wage discrepancy between here and a first world country because if you'd take your thai colored glasses off for a second you'd see "this ain't Kansas, Toto". It is a developing third world country, and pays wages to its people accordingly.

To address the issue some posters have all too quickly pointed out; as far as American soldiers fueling the billion baht money train to Nakhon Nowhere Issan. It is small potatoes compared to what the sex-pats and sex tourists who routinely flock to that area contribute.

By all means keep up the American bashing, but remember, at the end of the day someone has to be “keepers of the free world’;

Step up or shut up.

Research BEFORE rhetoric would seem to be something sorely lacking here.

Make sure to have some cheese with your whine.

I was not aware that the Thai self-sufficiency principle requires holding military exercises with world powers. The benefits that the military-industrial complex pays to peaceful civilian activities is vastly exaggerated, and surely not worthwhile on a cost-benefits analysis.

The point seems well made that the USA military is getting more than enough exercise in Asia already. Besides, what did happen to that moratorium on military benefits from the USA to Thailand due to the junta? That's an American law (not applied in Venezuela) - does Cobra Gold have an exemption, or has the moratorium been lifted because there is no junta now?

I see yet another possibly interesting thread on this forum has deteriorated into the all too familiar America / American bashing rhetoric which is oh-so common here.

American does so many stupid things they are an easy target to Bush,....I mean bash

Since Cobra Gold has existed for 25 years; even a moron could Google information about the benefits these exercises have brought into the glorious "Land 'O Thais". Google returned 1,950,000 results in 0.10 seconds, so go read up on the facts BEFORE you even start to slag off America.

Not a very good statement. Most morons know (not sure why you couldn't figure it out) that the Google Search engine probably did not have 1,950,000 results that dealt specifically with the military exercie here in Thailand. Most returns were probably about a snake and the others about a precious medal

To suggest (as one poster did) it would be better to hand out money, equipment or medical supplies and let the thais dole it out as they see fit is quite the uninformed statement to make. Don't forget vast amounts of money went "missing" from the tsunami relief funds which poured into the glorious "Land 'O Thais" post tsunami. When an international audit team wanted to peruse the accounting there was, to say the least, a "lack of willing cooperation" from this country. Of course it was masked in mock outrage that anyone could/would question their accounting practices or methods. Hmmm, wonder why?

Thats why one poster said to give out equipment and medical supplies. These are easier to track than currency.

The US military does many valuable public services here, just as they have each and every time they've run these exercises. To say they take jobs away from the thais is another gross generalization formulated by first world people embracing their 'thai-ness'. IF a thai wants to work, I mean really wants to work, they can find a job. Maybe not in their home town, but they can work IF they want to. It's the lazy ones who bitch, piss and moan, not the ones who want to work, because; wow go figure, they're already working. Don't even start on the wage discrepancy between here and a first world country because if you'd take your thai colored glasses off for a second you'd see "this ain't Kansas, Toto". It is a developing third world country, and pays wages to its people accordingly.

It wouldn't hurt to have a military advisor supervising the Thai workers but to pretend they are not taking away jobs is stupid. Work is work here. Most Thais will work if you give them a job to do. Now the U.S. military comes in to build something and the locals look at it as lost work opportunities. Pay the locals and provide the materials and it would be much more appreciated than just invade their community and do work that Thai locals were already planning on doing.

To address the issue some posters have all too quickly pointed out; as far as American soldiers fueling the billion baht money train to Nakhon Nowhere Issan. It is small potatoes compared to what the sex-pats and sex tourists who routinely flock to that area contribute.

I bet you have a lot of expierence in this area.

By all means keep up the American bashing, but remember, at the end of the day someone has to be “keepers of the free world’;

I think the Americans (and other western nations) have caused more hostility in the present day world than most asian nations. To suggest they are the keepers of the free world is a stupid thing for any country to say. If any organization even remotly qualifies it would be the United Nations.

Step up or shut up.

I have a U.S. Military Retirement (20 years) ID card. What's in your wallet?

So do I hero. Plus a six-line rack with Silver Star, Bronze Star with 2 Oakleaf Clusters, four Purple Hearts and a CIB. And you? My guess is you are a gold-plated REMF.

U.S. holds warsex games in Thailand despite coup
"For a quarter century, Cobra Gold has been the most visible symbol of U.S. and Thai military cooperation," Arvizu said in a statement.

The exercises take place in the province of Chon Buri, east of Bangkok, where the United States built up a massive military presence during the Vietnam War.

Since when does Cobra Gold have anything to do with military cooperation or exercises? It has more to do with sending the US soldiers for a 'treat' in Pattaya.

:D

Not a fair comment. I know some U.S. seabees who have been there for Cobra Gold. They spent 5 or 6 days building a road and refurbishing a school. They then had 1 day in Pattaya. Yes they enjoyed the one day in Pattaya, but they had to do a week or work to get that one day of play.

:D

Oh and by the way what does the British army get? One afternoon in Blackpool?

:o

So do I hero. Plus a six-line rack with Silver Star, Bronze Star with 2 Oakleaf Clusters, four Purple Hearts and a CIB. And you? My guess is you are a gold-plated REMF.

*********I'll moderate my own comments here***********

Edited by richard10365

for information only, link is new on USAF corba gold exercises at Korat.

http://www1.apan-info.net/tabid/2812/newsi...85/Default.aspx

Please no bashing,I am also Retired from the Air force after 23 years, spent two tours in Viet Nam and 5 tours in thailand. richard10365 I understand your frustrations, but I have seen things in a different way.

Edited by skipvice

According to information on udonmap.com, a number of these exercises are also taking place in Udon Thani. One of the respondents mentioned that they are many American personnel living in that city who work for organisations such as the CIA. Udon Thani, it would seem, acts as an American listening post for events in the region. Nowadays, the only threat to American/British/Australian interests in the region would be China.

In view of the fact China and Pakistan signed a pact last year, which permits China to station nuclear-armed ships in Pakistani ports, it is obvious why the U.S., India and others would want to renew Cobra Gold this year. Previously, China signed a similar pact with Burma. India felt vulnerable and signed an agreement to hold joint exercises with the American navy in the Indian Ocean. I would think India's participation in the Cobra Gold exercises has something to do with China's treaties with Burma and Pakistan.

The economic and political impact of the military presence in Udon Thani might be seen in a positive light by some, but one could also argue the concentration of soldiers from different countries in Udon also could lead to some negative consequences socially.

Back in the 60s and 70s air america flew out of udorn and had cia ties, and there was a listening post that was run jointly by the military, I do not belive it is still operating it closed down in the late 70s. But VOA (voice of america) is still operating but that is a radio broadcasting station. you can not belive everything you read in forums,but i could be wrong. try googleing voa and see what you come up with. anyway it has no connection with cobra gold. and I could be wrong again. :o

Jeff, who's bashing? Think your a little sensitive....... :o

Well, Solent, you aren't the sharpest pencil in the box, but at least you are smart enough not to spout your anti-American rhetoric in one of those Pattaya bars. Otherwise, your health care policy would be getting quite a workout.

:D:D:D:D

Its a well known fact that Pattaya became what it is during the Indo-China conflict, when the US used it as an R&R stop off. How stating that makes me anti-American is beyond me......... and as far as sharpness goes Prof. Einstein, I better not upset you in a bar had I, or you may beat me with your boyfriends hand bag.

Jeff, who's bashing? Think your a little sensitive....... :o

Well, Solent, you aren't the sharpest pencil in the box, but at least you are smart enough not to spout your anti-American rhetoric in one of those Pattaya bars. Otherwise, your health care policy would be getting quite a workout.

:D:D:D:D

Its a well known fact that Pattaya became what it is during the Indo-China conflict, when the US used it as an R&R stop off. How stating that makes me anti-American is beyond me......... and as far as sharpness goes Prof. Einstein, I better not upset you in a bar had I, or you may beat me with your boyfriends hand bag.

Hmmm. I'll pass on your suggestion to her. She might want to do it herself.

So now we got a pissing contest going.... :o

Got one better: How about us guys who managed to keep our noses clean over the last 40 years, not contributing one drop of sweat or blood to the attempted destruction of Vietnamese society, nor the debacle in Iraq? Both have made the USA the laughing stock of the world.

The only thing I do regret is that my taxes supported those misguided efforts (and paid for the medals pinned to your hero's chests). :D

Edited by toptuan

So now we got a pissing contest in the works. :o

Got one better: How about us guys who managed to keep our noses clean over the last 40 years, not contributing one drop of sweat or blood to the attempted destruction of Vietnamese society, nor the debacle in Iraq? Both have made the USA the laughing stock of the world.

The only thing I do regret is that my taxes supported your misguided efforts.

The whole TV experience is mostly of one trying to out do another .. pissing into the wind.

In all fairness to each of them... Neither of them made the USA a laughing stock to anyone - they did their duty as the should have. The blame lays squarely with politicians. But it is long past time to put your egos away guys about who has the most fruit salad - I would venture to bet that there are many with far more than both of you.

...they did their duty as the should have. The blame lays squarely with politicians.

Same argument used at the Nuremburg trials by the defendants. It didn't fly with the court of world justice at the time, nor does it hold water in the court of world opinion today.

But we digress....

...they did their duty as the should have. The blame lays squarely with politicians.

Same argument used at the Nuremburg trials by the defendants. It didn't fly with the court of world justice at the time, nor does it hold water in the court of world opinion today.

But we digress....

Not we........

Yes you certainly did.

But we digress....

Not we........

Yes you certainly did.

But someone had to call you on your faulty logic. Sorry 'bout that. :o

Edited by toptuan

But we digress....

Not we........

Yes you certainly did.

But someone had to call you on your faulty logic. Sorry 'bout that. :o

Amazing how I just keep proving myself right when it come to the pissing into the wind so many love to do on TV. Enjoy your shower toptuan.