Soon No More Gmail Accounts In Thailand?

danone

it wouldnt surprise me.

nothing here surprises me anymore.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30033692

Here is the whole news

ICT to file charge against Google on Friday

Information and Communications Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom Tuesday said the ministry was preparing to file a charge against Google in Thailand after it refused to remove video clips that insulted His Majesty the King.

The ministry had previously blocked access to the YouTube website, owned by Google, after it showed film clips deemed offensive to the monarchy.

The government approached Google, but the company said it had no policy about content deemed offensive in Thailand.

Sitthichai said the ministry would seek to file a charge with the Criminal Court on Friday.

The Nation

Where does it say that Gmail accounts can not be accessed in Thailand in the future? Or did I miss something? :o

If Google gets blocked it would suck. More so for webmasters who ignored Live.com and Yahoo, putting all their eggs in the Google basket like far too many do.

google is the most important search engine. but google also sold their soul to china removing the dangerous content....

If Google gets blocked it would suck. More so for webmasters who ignored Live.com and Yahoo, putting all their eggs in the Google basket like far too many do.

google is the most important search engine. but google also sold their soul to china removing the dangerous content....

More like a shrewd business move.

If Thailand really decide to take the next step and block all of Google and Gmail I think perhaps it's time to find a country that's a bit more in line with the times ... :o

If they blocked google I would be surprised. That would be stupid even by Thai Govt standards which is saying quite a lot. That would put Thailand into the same censorship levels of a Libya, North Korea or Cuba.

I doubt it will come to that.

If Thailand really decide to take the next step and block all of Google and Gmail I think perhaps it's time to find a country that's a bit more in line with the times ... :D

Let me know as well, I will move too :o

I doubt it will come to that.

Everything is possible. For 2 reasons :

-face. Now, the ICT Minister is totally pissed off. He went already far. He's going a step further (charges against YouTube next friday in a bangkok tribunal).

At one point, he won't able to back off.

-make the sum of the IQ of the junta and the current gvt... You'll have vertigo.

Therefore, it's the perfect recipe to continue the silly fight Thailand versus The World (I should write The Universe).

I think the sky is falling again.

Youtube was blocked in Thailand for reasons we all know.

Google recently acquired Youtube.

The government in Thailand has no control over the actions of

Google or Youtube in the US.

However , presumably , Google has a legal entity in Thailand.

Therefore they can expect legal action , considering how vexatious

the issue must be for Thais

If anybody can get the current ICT minister to read and authorise

all the banning requests for all web sites associated with Google

or it's subsidiaries , given his probably limited attention span , then

the sky will have hit the deck and may never rise again.

Also , for those of you for whom access to a specific search engine

or webmail service is a major factor in deciding whether to stay in

Thailand , well........

:o

The government in Thailand has no control over the actions of

Google or Youtube in the US.

However , presumably , Google has a legal entity in Thailand.

According to the Bangkok Post No..

Sitthichai to sue YouTube in Thailand

The suit will charge that YouTube.com, owned by Google, hosted video clips offensive to the monarchy. It was not clear where Mr Sitthichai will charge the American company with lese majeste, defamation or a cyberlaw violation.

Google has no office in Thailand, although it does business with many Thai-based websites and businesses. The California company established an office in Singapore late last week to try to expand its advertising profile in Southeast Asia. YouTube.com has no offices in Thailand.

A ministry statement on Tuesday said the suit will take the form of "a petition to the criminal court for emergency protection," according to official Thai News AGency.

source: http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=118618

If Thailand really decide to take the next step and block all of Google and Gmail I think perhaps it's time to find a country that's a bit more in line with the times ... :o

I agree. Everyone has to know their own boundaries for 'enough is enough', and when Google gets censored, I'm outta here. It'll just be a sign of things to come.

This would probably benefit Thai Society more than anything ver done by local goss since years: Block google, and you can rest assured that within hours all Thais aged 25 Years and below know how to install anonymous proxies ....

Go ahead, Mr. minister: Its only a small step for you, but it would be a giant step for Thai population!

Sunny

Block google, and you can rest assured that within hours all Thais aged 25 Years and below know how to install anonymous proxies ....

No, that's too much work, and quite unnecessary, but they'll find Yahoo, or Live.com.

Get Google (and other) search results via Dogpile http://www.dogpile.com/ problem solved.

I doubt that Big Brother is going to block ALL the meta-search engines, that would be REALLY dumb, but as previously seen TiT.

Whilst the loss of Google would be a bind, it's not going to make me leave Thailand and there a numerous ways round the block as previously intimated :o

IMHO The sky is most definately NOT falling :D