Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

58 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

Astra Zenneca is due for UK approval in the next 48 hours according to many media reports.

The unknown is what will be said if anything about the low/hi dosage approach which showed 90% efficacy as compared to the hi/hi dosage which rated only 62% protection.

I think the latest claim is 95% with the modified dose. I wonder how much  Vibhahadi Hospital would charge for that given that the AZ  price would be 140 Baht per jab?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

They never miss an opportunity to profiteer do they?

The AstraZenica jabs will be 3 quid a pop in the UK.

£3 is the charge they are costing the hospitals/surgeries/NHS. the cost to UK residents is free and is now supposedly the safest and easiest to store (refrigerated at normal temperature)

The Phizer/biotech vaccine is being sold at £15 how surprising is it that once one was released all the others seem to also be available.

It brings into question, how safe are these others. Have they declared them safe, just so as not to miss the boat in the millions of sales to come

Edited by Dene16
change dialogue

20 hours ago, tgw said:

approved or not, the decision of which medicine can be administered to patients should ultimately be the doctor's.

Not so, all medication needs to be tested and approved prior to any being prescribed for patient use else total dangerous anarchy. As for this case, pure profiteering at nearly 10x the cost to that hospital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spilornis said:

Astra Zenneca is due for UK approval in the next 48 hours according to many media reports.

The unknown is what will be said if anything about the low/hi dosage approach which showed 90% efficacy as compared to the hi/hi dosage which rated only 62% protection.

The good news is that AZ is relatively easy to produce and distribute. Any country capable of producing flu vaccine can produce it.

The latest estimation is 95% for AZ. We will hear later today or tomorrow what dosage the JVCI approves.  Thailand is setting up a manufacturing facility here. In the UK the cost will be 3 pounds per jab.

4 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

I think the latest claim is 95% with the modified dose. I wonder how much  Vibhahadi Hospital would charge for that given that the AZ  price would be 140 Baht per jab?

I'm not sure how they conclude 95%. This was likely a recent marketing statement reported in SkyNews. The 'boss' says he thinks they have a way to get it up there with everybody else. A comment made with no trial or data.

To conclude about different dosing in two groups, all else should be the same, but wasn't. One group was large, Brazilian, and full age range. The other was much smaller,  mostly Caucasian, and younger. They were also exposed to different strains and climates. They chose  Brazil because the UK was improving and didn't provide enough test cases.  The biggest problem is the age difference because vaccine efficacy can decline with age e.g., flu vaccines.

9 minutes ago, Mike k said:

There's no such thing as free stuff anywhere in the world it's all taxpayer funded or donated by other countries whose taxpayers pay for it 

O.K. let us call it then that you don' t have to pay EXTRA for it..... as you paid by paid  taxed already ???? 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

£3 is the charge they are costing the hospitals/surgeries/NHS. the cost to UK residents is free and is now supposedly the safest and easiest to store (refrigerated at normal temperature)

The Phizer/biotech vaccine is being sold at £15 how surprising is it that once one was released all the others seem to also be available.

It brings into question, how safe are these others. Have they declared them safe, just so as not to miss the boat in the millions of sales to come

I believe the others,  Pfizer and Moderna, were authorized before AstraZenica, so they have already been declared safe.

52 minutes ago, rabas said:

I believe the others,  Pfizer and Moderna, were authorized before AstraZenica, so they have already been declared safe.

The testing of new drugs is a lot stricter in the UK then other countries which is why many drugs become available in other countries before the UK. Boris had to declare that  Phizer/Biotech could not be sued if anyone suffered adverse symptoms. It's mainly  about adverse symptoms at a far later date. This has led to many people/parents stating that they would refuse to be vaccinated or have their children vaccinated (especially as children are not/minimally at risk)

So we have a catch 22 situation where the children would continue to be carriers

Edited by Dene16
Spelling

First of all I want to add my comment as to how appalling it is for profiteering from a terrible pandemic and all those guilty need naming and shaming.  Personally I think ALL health care and pharma should be run by the people for the people by their elected or otherwise recognised approved Government who are answerable to the people that they serve.

Now onto the urgent problem we have here right now with an alarming outbreak of CV19 in Thailand.  So may I respectfully suggest that the Thai Government should immediately make available to all vulnerable people (that includes falangs living here on long stay visas who of course should pay the relevant low cost of such vaccines) a tried and tested and now widely in use vaccine that can be purchased today from Russia or China.  Both are apparently being sold at cost price and produced using traditional safe tried and tested methods (same as the Oxford vaccine) as a duty of care not for big pharma greedy profits, and thus trusted by most open minded clear thinking folk irrespective of cost issues.  If they do not do this immediately then I feel there could quite posssibly be a deplorable rising death rate here as well as unnecessary suffering that can now quite easily be avoided or potentially greatly reduced. 

Sure I know the Oxford Astrazenica vaccine is apparently being produced here under license and that is a good thing, but we hear alarmingly that it will not be available for a few months yet and that is just unacceptable now it seems we have a new CV19 pandemic outbreak here.  Yes of course it takes a while to get the production line going and ramp up production rates so of course that Oxford vaccine production should still go ahead as planned for general distribution to all Thai people free of charge as I understand it will be.  However it is grossly  irresponsible not to urgently issue right now an available effective tested safe alternative to all those most vulnerable folk, and that most certainly is the Sputnik V vaccine or the Chinese variants, that have I understand passed all tests and are being widely approved and distributed in several other countries who clearly do not have this current stupid US led childish hangup with Russia and China. So can anyone give a valid sensible reason why this is not happening here? 

What is certain is that we MUST put lives before money right here and now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oslooskar said:

Please! Please! Please! Enlighten me as to why a retired expatriate who lives on his social security and derives no income from any sources in Thailand would be required to pay taxes here? Mind you, I file every year in my home country but my income is now so low that I am no longer required to pay any taxes in my home country.

You don't get it, do you?

I will give you a clue.

In Thailand you pay VAT...... that T stands for TAX.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:
On 12/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

With reservations priced at 4,000 baht, the total cost of getting vaccinated would have been 10,000 baht ($330).

They never miss an opportunity to profiteer do they?

They are going to make up for the lost of tourist by selling it to the foreigners at that price, but before I buy it here, I leave and get it in another country just to show them, we don’t need them. They need us.....????????????????

18 minutes ago, oslooskar said:
1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Please please please.

I beg you.

Inform me how you manage to not pay taxes in Thailand.

I am so tired of paying VAT.

Please.

Please! Please! Please! Enlighten me as to why a retired expatriate who lives on his social security and derives no income from any sources in Thailand would be required to pay taxes here? Mind you, I file every year in my home country but my income is now so low that I am no longer required to pay any taxes in my home country.

Even the Thais are paying the VAT. Send your Thai wife or gf to buy something and bring you the bill. You will see they paying it too. There is no way around not paying it. You can only claim it back if you are on a tourist visa. 

Anyway where does that money goes? Who is pocketing that money? 

In Denmark they has started to roll it out yesterday, but after a strict scheme, old and vulnerable first, front line personal at hospitals and then after age, e.g. 70+ comes as no. 7 in a que and it is all free for the Danes and their Thai wife or spouse

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rayw said:

a tried and tested and now widely in use vaccine that can be purchased today from Russia or China.

Reports are circulating that many Chinese workers vaccinated with the Chinese vaccine are contracting the virus while working overseas, calling into doubt the effectiveness of that product!

On another note.. 70M people living in Thailand each requiring 2 shots.. even the AstraZenica Vaccine is going to run $560 million US Dollars and the moderna vaccine would run $4.6 Billion US Dollars not counting the delivery infrastructure that needs to be in place. Going to be tough for any government to find the cash to pay for that, but at least they appear to be trying by Buying the license to produce the AstraZenica vaccine locally, which should cut the costs down further although it will delay distribution while they ramp up production. My guess is how this will all turn out is that the AstraZenica vaccine will end up being free ( or subsidised), and the more expensive Moderna and Pfizer  vaccines  will be pay to play. 

Personally I want to wait for the AstraZenica shot  as its a traditional vaccine unlike the Moderna/Pfizer ones which rewrite your DNA ( a comforting thought when they have received emergency approval , so no long term studies ???? )

On 12/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

Exactly. AZ seems to have a few transparency issues about their trial data. Google if you are interested.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/hong-kong-to-let-residents-choose-between-covid-19-vaccines

On 12/28/2020 at 9:48 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Production cost.  What about transport cost?  The Nurse who gives you the jab, hospital facilities to make this happen, etc, etc, etc.

I merely quoted the production cost per dose. Thais will more than likely get it for free but the farangs will be charged, that was the point of my post. If you want to work out the overheads then be my guest, let us know when you arrive at a figure.