Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone else believe that is just robbery in daylight? Regardless of the hospital mark up?

They will be selling hundreds of millions and that is the best price they can come up with per dose?

Gonna be several billion people a bit short of the payment needed.

This should be free to all, paid for by their governments, especially in those countries dependent on tourism.

With hospitals heavily penalised for further up pricing it in the private sector.

Better still, send the bill to China

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If so then why the recent articles indicating that Chula University was in need of donations to build a lab to work on a vaccine. Supposedly as Anutin said a long while back that they were working on a vaccine and it was only weeks away. Then silence until the AstraZeneca contract was touted.  

Astra zeneca were reported to have agreed production of its vaccine back in October. A deal

was announced by the British Embassy at the time, amid great dirision from the Thai visa 

epidemiology fraternity, 

I will have a quick look around Google for updates, but it seems to me that the health authorities

are waiting for approval of this particular vaccine, as are the UK government who have ordered 

Tens of millions of the same.

News from the UK suggests that the AZ/Oxford vaccine will be approved in the UK 

sometime this week, I also found a UK Gov article relating to an agreement between AZ and Siam Bioscience to produce the vaccine in Thailand for domestic

and SE Asian use.

Edited by shy coconut
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Astra zeneca were reported to have agreed production of its vaccine back in October. A deal

was announced by the British Embassy at the time, amid great dirision from the Thai visa 

epidemiology fraternity, 

I will have a quick look around Google for updates, but it seems to me that the health authorities

are waiting for approval of this particular vaccine, as are the UK government who have ordered 

Tens of millions of the same.

I believe they have been silent on the issue because as all things Thailand they have been put on hold.  They are also talking about a vaccine using Hot Sauce and Tobacco from I have been reading, but needed to build a new lab at Chula to start work on new vaccine prototypes.  Even if the Government Lab was able to start producing the AZ vaccine when given the go ahead, it will take more lab space then they have, ergo why they also ordered a large amount of doses to start the process of vaccination.  Not sure how long it will take the AZ vaccine to be given approval.  The Moderna Vaccine, and Pfizer vaccine are already out and they could have allowed that to also come in and undergo the regulatory process here, but they did not for some reason, and put all their eggs in one basket which now has caused them issues, and delayed the vaccinations here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Anyone else believe that is just robbery in daylight? Regardless of the hospital mark up?

They will be selling hundreds of millions and that is the best price they can come up with per dose?

This should be free to all, paid for by their governments, especially in those countries dependent on tourism.

With hospitals heavily penalised for further up pricing it in the private sector.

It's 2 different types of vaccines and Modernas mRNA is more expensive to produce, plus most countries will buy and offer it for free to their citizens. 

I find them mRNA vaccines really interesting, because they are so easy to recode towards a new Corona variant if needed. 

The retail price is not that expensive imo and I would gladly pay the 10,000 baht to be able to get the shots now. 

I'm in the group that has to wait until summer/fall before my government will offer it for free to me, so I'm all for paying for the shot in private hospitals as long as government approved the vaccine. 

But it looks like a long time before private hospitals can offer that. 

The 3 major vaccine companies simply can't produce as many as needed worldwide. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe they have been silent on the issue because as all things Thailand they have been put on hold.  They are also talking about a vaccine using Hot Sauce and Tobacco from I have been reading, but needed to build a new lab at Chula to start work on new vaccine prototypes.  Even if the Government Lab was able to start producing the AZ vaccine when given the go ahead, it will take more lab space then they have, ergo why they also ordered a large amount of doses to start the process of vaccination.  Not sure how long it will take the AZ vaccine to be given approval.  The Moderna Vaccine, and Pfizer vaccine are already out and they could have allowed that to also come in and undergo the regulatory process here, but they did not for some reason, and put all their eggs in one basket which now has caused them issues, and delayed the vaccinations here.

And the committee (still being formed) is due to give its report in 6 months but expect at least 2 delays of 30 days. 

22 minutes ago, Captor said:

There will not be a herd immunity if not the greater part of the population can take the vaccine. And they can´t if the price is 10 000/person. I hope they at least are letting the governmental hospitals sell them cheap or maybe for free same as in the bigger part of the world.

Thailand made a deal with Astra zeneca which is the cheap one, plus Thailand were supposed to be able to produce 200 million doses of that, so Thailand could vaccinate enough people for a cheap price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Production cost.  What about transport cost?  The Nurse who gives you the jab, hospital facilities to make this happen, etc, etc, etc.

Quite. People do not want to think about that, to many nothing will ever be right in Thailand.

I had a flu jab at Bang Saen a couple of weeks ago, it came to 340 baht, 320 for the vaccine and 20 for the nurse. That was 20 baht down on last year when it was 300 for the vaccine and 60 for the nurse.

Many on this forum would never see the benefit in cost reduction, as far as they are concerned I got ripped off having to pay 60 baht for the nurse last year.

I was there a couple of days ago and was charged 70 baht for the doctor and a nurse to spend 20 minutes teaching my wife how to dress the wound, more gross profiteering.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

Anybody trust the Chinese vaccine?  I plan to get the Covid antibody test before and after the vaccination so I maybe know if the vaccine works.

If you start to get the minor side effects that the vaccines give, it's a good indicator that your body is reacting to it, but a test couldn't hurt. 

Just wait a few weeks so your body had the chance to produce enough anti bodies. 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Ministry of Health said in a statement that no COVID-19 vaccine had been approved for use in Thailand yet and that advertising one violated hospital regulations.

"The removal of the advertisement was ordered," it said.

They banned it because they only want to sell the thai made vaccine . 

Just Greed 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Vibhavadi Hospital told Reuters its online offer for 1,000 initial reservations for the two-dose Moderna vaccine had been the result of a misunderstanding. With reservations priced at 4,000 baht, the total cost of getting vaccinated would have been 10,000 baht ($330).

The vaccine should be Free like in some other countries like Australia .

But no not here ,someone has to put their fingers on the pie and grab a quick few Mill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Remarkable! It's not the selling of reservations what was prohibited. It's just not ok because no vaccine was approved by now. Thai government should come forward with a vaccination plan and make sure no f&ckn criminal hospital or so called "doctor" is exploiting people's fear and doing a dirty extra business!! They should put then into jail for this! 3. World country Thainand. You want to fly to the moon? Vaccinate all your residents first. FOR FREE!!

Who will trust he gets a real vaccine instead of a counterfeit if there is such big money to earn? Who can trust the vaccine is still good and was kept at minus 70 celsius without any interruptions. If government does not check and treat this issue with highest priority it will be paradise for corrupt criminals. Good luck third world corrupt Thauland. I get mine in Europe.

Edited by P100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well..they start vaccine in norway..and its free to the citizens

• Like 1

Astra Zenneca is due for UK approval in the next 48 hours according to many media reports.

The unknown is what will be said if anything about the low/hi dosage approach which showed 90% efficacy as compared to the hi/hi dosage which rated only 62% protection.

The good news is that AZ is relatively easy to produce and distribute. Any country capable of producing flu vaccine can produce it.

It is likely to be the vaccine used in India where Serum is one of the worlds largest vaccine manufacturers. They already have many hundreds of millions of doses ready to go when authorisation is given.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

re-read the article.  The hospital did not and does not  have the vaccine. they were selling "advance reservations" to receive it once it is in stock.

Yes and they are trying to sell a vaccine they don't even have yet. What would that indicate to you that they intend to do? I don't need to reread the article to see the writing  on the wall.

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What a fiasco.  Does this have anything to do with Thailands contract with Astrazenica and the wanting to build there own lab as well to create a vaccine.  If there is a vaccine that works shouldn't everyone have the option to choose,

...i might checkout..Shopee and Lazada!

4 hours ago, dallen52 said:

No different from the ASQ facilities and charges.

Doing 15 days isolation in a country self inflicted with the Covid19 virus again.

And how much is quarantine in Australia again for one person? 

And how about that flare up on the Northern Beaches was that "self inflicted ". 

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So how will farang get a jab? They will be provided free for Thai nationals but who will pay for farang jabs? Thai government or the foreigner's home country.  I can just see Boris paying for mine over here.