Thai hospital banned from offer to sell COVID-19 vaccine

Jonathan Fairfield

10 minutes ago, phartley58 said:

Because if you read thailand49's comment again I think you'll probably find that one all the "hoops" he mentions includes the need to quarantine. If having an approved vaccination takes that away, then as I said, it's a no brainer.... ???? 

True.... It's too early in the morning here ????

5 minutes ago, Percy P said:

If Governments are supporting vaccine companies to develop a vaccine for  particular illnesses out of taxpayers money then that money should be returned it the vaccine is successful. 

And it's a hospital.

And a private one shockingly! 

35 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

There is a treaty between Belgium and Thailand to avoid double taxation....of course if you keep your legal residence in Belgium while staying in Thailand you will pay taxes in Belgium

That is what i meant ....they dont want to miss any opportunity could exist even on the other end of the world ...to make some tax money out of their citizens ...????

Even when NOT having your legal residence in Belgium anymore as a Belgium nationality person you could br taxable ...depending curcumstances .....!

So then they could also remember us for vaccinations .....as when 1 foot on Belgium ground we are at cost on their social security ( eg. Hoapitalization...!) ????

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

War profiteers.

Disgusting.

In China that would get you taken out to the back where a single rifle bullet is put through your head and your family changed for the bullet and an example to other administrators driven by greed to rethink their plans.  I've got to be honest.  That's approach makes a point that is difficult to ignore.

10,000 THB for a 1,000 THB vaccine. 
Tip of the Iceberg Of Abject Greed.  You should see what is beneath the water?

• Like 1

They should definitely allow private hospitals to join the vaccination effort, maybe after the high priority groups have been vaccinated first.

The price quoted in the OP amounts to daylight robbery, but I think even at private hospitals that ought to make a profit, vaccinations will eventually be available at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, realfunster said:

The economic principles of a perceived urgent need combined with limited supply & high demand ? It would already seem apparent that there is inequality in vaccine distribution be this on an individual, regional or a country basis. This sort of scenario lends itself to a grey market and price gouging. I would see this as quite different to your example of a common flu vaccine. 

Earlier in the thread information was shared showing that Belgium has secured 33.5m doses for population of 11.5m. Compare this with Thailand that presently has enough vaccines for 10m people from 70+m population. Several countries have already launched widespread vaccine programs, in Thailand we are expecting launch somewhere from April onwards. 

We will see in due course but it doesn’t take much to imagine quite a scramble here amongst those not covered in the quite limited vaccinations secured (to date) by the Thai government. 

This scramble will probably include me, as I expect vaccination (at least during the next 1-2 years, whilst we edge back to normality) might become an increasingly common requirement to be able to travel internationally. I would very much like to visit family and friends back home in 2021!

Side note.... as above stated the requirment need vacc.to travell to meet home front ...besides all the other financial requirments ...

A simple question ...should 270 € stop you to keep your life safe ..especcialy when in the "danger zone " age category ..?

Even when finding it a outrages immoral profit ?

Well, all those expecting miracles should ask themselves first:

What do I expect from a Covid-19 vaccine ?

Then you should cross-check your expectations with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/09/23/covid-19-vaccine-protocols-reveal-that-trials-are-designed-to-succeed/?sh=1a2233cb5247

In case, you prefer a more scientific version in British Medical Journal, cross-check here:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4037

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, starky said:

Wheres all the people saying no way falang would be able to purchase a dose in Thailand now? ????????????????????

re-read the article.  The hospital did not and does not  have the vaccine. they were selling "advance reservations" to receive it once it is in stock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

They never miss an opportunity to profiteer do they?

The AstraZenica jabs will be 3 quid a pop in the UK.

Might be the case hopefully that if vaccines are up and running and flights resumed, that we can all shoot off to our homeland for a quick set of jabs and come back and avoid delays, hiked prices - imagine foreigners being charged triple to quadruple the vaccine - I would not be surprised.  

18 minutes ago, Sharron Merrilees said:

How the hell are the the locals, No matter what the cost they can't afford it let the government pay  and then some of us that can can get back in I am hanging out to get back. miss the the place so much. from down under.

need money for the new rocket !!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Any hospital or clinic that is trying to get rich  from any of the covid vaccines

should be publicly named and publicly shamed.   I do hope the government

lets all the medical places understand this.

Geezer

It would appear that the Australian TGA head, Prof John Skerritt, has no problem with the 'Pay more, be vaccinated sooner' concept. Being quoted as saying 'We live in a free economy. There's nothing stopping companies as long as they have the TGA approval to put that vaccine on the market in Australia.'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/coronavirus-pfizer-vaccine-eskies/12871888

• Thanks 1

The USA and the UK will receive the first supplies. The vaccine is 95% effective so some of these comments are incorrect.  If you have the vaccine you should be able to travel world wide. There is little change of contracting he virus after the vaccine. The Thai government will be substantially better off without the quarantine option to those with a vaccination certificate. I will spend far more in the country not being confined to a hotel room. Thailand being a third-world and highly corrupt county it's hard to imagine how they will handle it once the population of the western world starts to get vaccinated.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lol, Moderna vaccine isn’t coming to Thailand anytime soon. Western countries will be prioritized. At max, Thailand “might” get 100,000 doses. It won’t be until 2023 that Thailand gets it’s act together in regards to vaccines. At which point the virus will have  mutated and the vaccine they do finally administer will be totally useless. Not to mention, the market will be flooded with Chinese counterfeits within 6 months. No one will know what is and isn’t real like 95% of the medicine currently sold in Thailand.

Majority of medicine in Thailand is fake if you weren’t aware. Often the medicine still works but the potency isn’t there because it’s a Chinese knock off that hasn’t undergone stringent quality control. Not to mention most of the medicine that gets used in Thailand is smuggled in via customs bribery methods from other cheaper countries ( as legal importation with up to 300% import tax on medicine has created a black market for Pharma goods ) and sits in a hot customs warehouse where it rapidly loses it efficacy due to the heat here. Most medicine needs to be stored under 25 degrees C or it’s no good. And the quality control and temperature regulation needed for vaccines is insane.

Thailand lacks the infrastructure and knowledge to produce and administer a viable vaccine in a reasonable amount of time. The virus will have already mutated if they actually manage to mass produce something ( which I doubt ). It’s a futile endeavor and a complete waste of time and money. But if it helps you sleep better at night, so be it. The “placebo effect” is indeed powerful.

Bottom line is that if you live in Thailand, you need a strong immune system and you need to take care of your health. Don’t expect medicine  here to help you much. It’s mostly bogus and the stuff that is legit underperforms due to the temperature issue ( few people consider the importance of temperature when it comes to medicine ).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

In Belgium it will be free for all, Belgians and legal residents (such as my wife, Thai).

1) There is no such thing as free stuff in Belgium. All paid by tax payers money. One of the highest taxation countries in the world with lowest ROI if you are a tax payer.

2) Belgium always screw things up. By the time you'll get the vaccin it will be 2025 and Corona will be of no importance anymore because the world finally figured out it it's not the killer virus the media and TV scientists brainwashed the population with. But maybe not in Belgium because they always screw things up and BE will still list number one in Covid deads.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1