How To Renew Passport

my (US) passport expires soon and i know to buy tix to a lot of countries you are supposed to have 6 months remaining on it, which means i need to get a new one, erm, right about now! has anyone done this from thailand or do i need to go home to do it? advice?

I've done it twice since being here (also US). Just go to the US embassy/consulate and fill out the appropriate form. Submit with about $55.00, not sure of the cost at the moment. It will take up to 3 weeks for the new one to arrive. Rather straight forward. Also need two passport size photos done at a recommended center that are familiar with the requirements.

Details here > http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/pspt.htm#pspt-passport

You can download the forms from here > http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html

thanks... does that mean you are passport-less for those 3 weeks of processing?

No, you keep your current passport. When the new one arrives they will punch holes in the old one and you keep them both. A letter to immigration will be supplied if you need to transfer any stamps (extension of stay or other).

thanks... does that mean you are passport-less for those 3 weeks of processing?

No, you keep your current passport. When the new one arrives they will punch holes in the old one and you keep them both. A letter to immigration will be supplied if you need to transfer any stamps (extension of stay or other).

You're lucky. I recently applied for a new New Zealand passport and I had to send it to New Zealand. Luckily I have another passport.

If you are in Pattaya, the US Embassy and the German Embassy come a few times a year. You inform them of your details and they sort it out for you there and then. A little more detailed for sure but as a UK passport holder I didn't go into great detail.

The UK does not offer this service nor did they offer large or biometric passports in Bangkok. I went back to the UK.

my (US) passport expires soon and i know to buy tix to a lot of countries you are supposed to have 6 months remaining on it, which means i need to get a new one, erm, right about now! has anyone done this from thailand or do i need to go home to do it? advice?

hey girlx, i believe the u.s. embassy can also issue an "emergency type" passport of limited validity (1 year) it may only take a few days to get that, you might want to ask if your travel plans require something a little faster than 3 weeks. you then exchange it later (no charge) for an official replacement. :o

The UK does not offer this service nor did they offer large or biometric passports in Bangkok. I went back to the UK.

By "large" do you mean the 48 page version? The Bangkok embassy issued me one in 2003 no problem. Also the did it in five working days but that still meant, including weekend, seven days without pp. Why they can't just keep a photocopy, leaving you with the pp and chop the cornet off when you collect new one is beyond me.

btw girlx, remember that any visas cannot be transferred to the new pp whilst in country. This came up on another recent thread, sorry can't remember topic title or forum but Thai visas wold be a good place to start.

btw girlx, remember that any visas cannot be transferred to the new pp whilst in country. This came up on another recent thread, sorry can't remember topic title or forum but Thai visas wold be a good place to start.

Not really a problem since she will keep her old passport with the visa stamp and can transfer her permission to stay/extension stamps to the new one. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119849

If you are in Pattaya, the US Embassy and the German Embassy come a few times a year. You inform them of your details and they sort it out for you there and then. A little more detailed for sure but as a UK passport holder I didn't go into great detail.

Funny that you should mention it but was issued a new Biometric British passport from the embassy here about 6 months ago.  I understand the big biometric ones are also now available!

Don't believe all that you hear as there is a lot of scuttlebut about.

Badbanker