Residence certificate

Getting a Residence Certificate is now really difficult ( at Chonburi Immigration anyway)  . You must have a very good reason and show proof of why you need one ( ie buying a car - show purchase details ) .  I couldn't get one even though Thai Customs in Bangkok required one for importing some things .They said they would need a letter from Customs !!!  (even though I showed details/documents of the imminent import/clearance)  . Eventually Customs accepted recent update of registration / new slip in my Passport .    

On 12/30/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jen65 said:

Getting a Residence Certificate is now really difficult ( at Chonburi Immigration anyway)  . You must have a very good reason and show proof of why you need one ( ie buying a car - show purchase details ) .  I couldn't get one even though Thai Customs in Bangkok required one for importing some things .They said they would need a letter from Customs !!!  (even though I showed details/documents of the imminent import/clearance)  . Eventually Customs accepted recent update of registration / new slip in my Passport .    

Yes I got the run around from them when trying to get one to support my application for a Thai tax ID. Really intrusive and difficult, and expecting other Gov. offices to produce letters in support. And they don't want to! I too was fortunate that the Tax people later relented and proved more flexible and helpful than immigration. 

• Like 1

Probably clamping down and becoming more strict on the purpose for its use, because as usual, some people, somewhere are misusing them somehow.

Really strange that some on a short term tourist visa would need a residence certificate when in reality they are short term visitors.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, userabcd said:

Really strange that some on a short term tourist visa would need a residence certificate when in reality they are short term visitors.

My plan is to change to a long stay Visa after my short term visa and I want to buy a car. Not every one is up to no good. I think it's strange that in order to purchase a vehicle they require this "certificate". What happened to cash is king, oops maybe that's not a good saying to use in Thailand.

Edited by Suphawk
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, userabcd said:

Not strange at all. I needed residence certificates for getting a Thai driving licence and buying a motorbike 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not strange at all. I needed residence certificates for getting a Thai driving licence and buying a motorbike 

But are these things one would expect a short term (tourist) visa holder to need to do? I rented a bike for a long time here ..... and the IDP was accepted as I used a Non-Imm-O Visa. I avoided what I saw as oppressive bureaucracy for as long as I could... and of course things were less policed years back.

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But are these things one would expect a short term (tourist) visa holder to need to do? I rented a bike for a long time here ..... and the IDP was accepted as I used a Non-Imm-O Visa. I avoided what I saw as oppressive bureaucracy for as long as I could... and of course things were less policed years back.

Having a Thai licence is easier than carrying around an IDP which may be out of date so an excuse for a policeman to fine you. As a tourist you can buy a motorbike, do you expect the Transport office to accept a hotel bill vs non tourists have to get a residence certificate? 

A Multi entry tourist visa allowed almost 9 months here

• Like 1

nothing simple here IS IT ?????

• Like 1

was not hard for me to get one last June......!!!

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A Multi entry tourist visa allowed almost 9 months here

True... as did the old triple.... but in more modern times, people who were here long term were getting problems with tourist visas and Exempts....  one may have felt the place was getting less hospitable, maybe still is.