World's Best Rock And Roll Bands

Yes, I'm subjective. I've heard 10,000's of R&R and R&B recordings, been in dozens of bar bands, recorded karaoke tracks before westerners knew the work karaoke, written hundreds of songs .....but I just got to say, LOS LOBOS takes the cake for me.

They're 5 guys who have been gigging together since their high school days, decades ago. They're from East Los Angeles, which is mostly Chicano (immigrant families from Mexico) so half their songs are in Spanish - and there's a lot of Latino influence. As much as anything else, I like their verve. In a state like California, most men are trying mightily to become accommodating to women, so many of the guys demure to becoming more effeminate - because assertive women prefer wimpy guys (unless the women are threatened or their car breaks down on a dark rainy night, then they want a macho man to grab the bull by the horns). Los Lobos refreshing buck to the trend - in that they're not afraid to let their masculanity come through in their music. Most of all they're just primo rock and rollers.

What's your favorite band?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm subjective. I've heard 10,000's of R&R and R&B recordings, been in dozens of bar bands, recorded karaoke tracks before westerners knew the work karaoke, written hundreds of songs .....but I just got to say, LOS LOBOS takes the cake for me.

They're 5 guys who have been gigging together since their high school days, decades ago. They're from East Los Angeles, which is mostly Chicano (immigrant families from Mexico) so half their songs are in Spanish - and there's a lot of Latino influence. As much as anything else, I like their verve. In a state like California, most men are trying mightily to become accommodating to women, so many of the guys demure to becoming more effeminate - because assertive women prefer wimpy guys (unless the women are threatened or their car breaks down on a dark rainy night, then they want a macho man to grab the bull by the horns). Los Lobos refreshing buck to the trend - in that they're not afraid to let their masculanity come through in their music. Most of all they're just primo rock and rollers.

What's your favorite band?

early queen not a bad song among them

I've got an album at home that starts with the words

"Ladies and Gentlemen....would you to pleeeaasseee.....welcome the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band on earth.......the Rolling Stones!!!!!"

....so it must be the Stones... :o

My vote goes to THE ROLLING STONES

shoulder to shoulder with the

THE WHO

cause they really did behave like a rock n roll band, throwing tellys outa windows, smashing guitars up on stage etc and driving cars into swimming pools

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

"Ladies and Gentlemen....would you to pleeeaasseee.....welcome the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band on earth.......the Rolling Stones!!!!!"

beat me to the quote ................. :D

The-Rolling-Stones---Tongue-Poster-C10033838.jpeg

surely the argument is about the first of the loosers , :D

ie second best ............... :D

Edited by Mid

the worlds best rock and roll band were the who , followed by led zeppelin.

their live shows in the late 60's and 70s were the gold standard by which other bands were judged.

the rolling stones shows were more of an event , but couldnt compete with the who for raw energy.

i always thought that roger daltry had a better voice and a more magnetising stage presence than jagger and although i wanted to be jagger for quite a few years , (the marianne faithful years) soon came to view him as a bit of a pillock , and thought that being keith richard would be a much better proposition.

bass player entwhistles demise in his fifties , in the arms of a las vegas whore with a bag of coke on the bedside table sadly brought about an end to the who , although they still tour.

motorhead on their day were pretty good too.

the worlds best rock and roll band were the who , followed by led zeppelin.

their live shows in the late 60's and 70s were the gold standard by which other bands were judged.

the rolling stones shows were more of an event , but couldnt compete with the who for raw energy.

i always thought that roger daltry had a better voice and a more magnetising stage presence than jagger and although i wanted to be jagger for quite a few years , (the marianne faithful years) soon came to view him as a bit of a pillock , and thought that being keith richard would be a much better proposition.

bass player entwhistles demise in his fifties , in the arms of a las vegas whore with a bag of coke on the bedside table sadly brought about an end to the who , although they still tour.

System of a Down,now there is a band!!For a superb rock and roll band with a bit of blues AC/DC are hard to beat.

The Who

In 1970 The Who released Live at Leeds, which is thought by many to be the best live rock album of all time

In 1976 The Who played a concert at Charlton Athletic Football Ground which was listed for over a decade in the Guinness Book of World Records as the loudest concert ever.

All info courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

Keith Moon RIP

John Alec Entwistle RIP

mm

Edited by mosquitoman

Motorhead improved after spending some time in america.

However I have very fond memories of there bomber tour, aswell as the Ace of Spades tour.

Whatever hapened to Girl School and the Nolans?

MM

P.S. Lemmy is a star

Edited by mosquitoman

although i wanted to be jagger for quite a few years ,

Do you want to talk about it?

MM

He might but don't mention Marianne Faithful or Mars bars or being caught in bed with

David Bowie by Bowie's wife.

:o

beat me to the quote ................. :D

The-Rolling-Stones---Tongue-Poster-C10033838.jpeg

surely the argument is about the first of the loosers , :D

ie second best ............... :D

This is The Who without a doubt! They not just played Rock'n'Roll, they also lived it!

great bunch of responses! It's interesting the Who and Led Zep top many a list, 'cause I caught them sharing the bill at a rousing concert in Maryland early 1970's I think it was Zep's first date on their 1st tour of the States. Both bands were excellent. I had 2nd row seats thanks to a groupie friend of mine who's daddy owned the biggest radio station in the D.C. area. The groupies hanging out in back were lascivious also. I had my long blonde locks and a pseudo Brit accent = which was good enough to get some salacious action. I convinced one mulatto gal that I was the 'sound man.' I might have given her a sound spanking - but that's a story for another time.

I've seen the Who and Led Zep separately several times before and since. - always exciting.

Even so guys, take a chance on Los Lobos 'greatest hits' album - I think it's called 'Wolf Tracks' ('los lobos' means 'the wolves' in Spanish) ...I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's even got me dancing by myself.

Zep - no contest !

oh , but there is a contest. its by no means cut and dried.

i saw them both many many times , i was at the live at leeds show and the charlton show and many others for the who , and saw led zep at uni and earls court , knebworth and once in the usa.

for musical ability , zep were the ones , although plant was the ultimate poser in those days with his girly mannerisms and lengthy semi down his pants. but there was always a barrier between them and the audience , there was no connection.

the who though , beat them soundly for raw energy and stage presence. daltry was the ultimate in frontmen , a great voice and wonderful to watch and towshend , although not the worlds best guitarist , had a knack for making you think he was the greatest , again very very watchable in action. moon and entwhistle were unique characters too. and they never failed to connect with the audience.

heres a couple of shots i took of the who at a wembley arena concert in the early 80's

just look at townshend go , even without sound those pictures just scream rock and roll

but if the who and led zep were playing tomorrow night at different venues and i could only go to one of them , i think it might be to see zep. some of their songs are just so good.

but if i were 25 years younger , it would be the who.

long live rock and roll.

Edited by taxexile

The Who.

Zep, love their stuff but comes across some times as being a little full of self importance and pretentious...... so second best to Spinal Tap :o

A couple of the best bands that I have seen live would have to be The Stranglers and The Wonder Stuff, but they aren't exactly rock and roll, so don't count. One I never got to see live was The Stone Roses, that I regret as I only have their recorded work as a point of reference.

But, end as I started ..........

The Who.

(track currently playing ........ Baba O'Riley)

//edit/typo

Edited by Thaddeus

Did someone mention the “World's Best Rock And Roll Band”, why thank you. :D

For me “Statue Quo

Status Quo Tribute

This tribute band remains true to the integrity of Status Quo's material while presenting the songs in its own impressive way.

All band members are professional players with years of experience in the music and and entertainment industry enabling them to deliver a quality live act.

Songlist includes:

• CAROLINE

• ALL STAND UP

• WHATEVER YOU WANT

• RAIN

• WILD SIDE OF LIFE

• CREEPING UP ON YOU

• ROLLING HOME

• BACKWATER/JUST TAKE ME - played either as a medley or just Backwater

• BREAK THE RULES

• ROLL OVER LAY DOWN

• ROCKIN' ALL OVER THE WORLD

• BLUE EYED LADY

• DON'T WASTE MY TIME

• RAILROAD/DOWN THE DUSTPIPE - played either as a medley or just Dustpipe.

• DOWN DOWN

• PAPER PLANE

• LITTLE LADY

• MOST OF THE TIME

• WHAT YOU'RE PROPOSING

• MYSTERY SONG

• SOMETHING 'BOUT YOU BABY I LIKE

• SOFTER RIDE

• BIG FAT MAMA

• BELAVISTA MAN

• SOLID GOLD

• OH CAROL

The band's line up:

• Andrew Forrer - Lead Vocal & Bass Guitar

• Wayne Smith - Lead/Rhythm Guitar

• Ron Mahony - Drums & Second Vocal

• Co Tipping - Lead/ Rhythm Guitar

planned cover of the new Status Quo Studio-Album

"In search of the fourth chord"

(Release: 10.09.2007)

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

P.S. Golden Earring

A Dutch rock/pop group that was founded in 1961 in The Hague as the Golden Earrings (the 's' was later dropped). They had international chart success with the songs "Eight Miles High" in 1969, "Radar Love" in 1973, and "Twilight Zone" :D in 1982. In their "home-country" they had over 40 hits and made over 30 gold and platinum albums. Current members of Golden Earring are Barry Hay (vocals, guitar, flute and saxophone, member since 1968), George Kooymans (vocals and guitar,founder of band), Rinus Gerritsen (bass and keyboard, founding member), and Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums and percussion, member since 1970).

:D

Some great mentions here. certainly Zep, Stones and Who are no brainers. Golden Earring is solid. Aerosmith pre 1977 put on a whale of a show. Deep purple, sure. Skynyrd, Tucker Band, Supertramp, Bob Seger were outstanding live acts. Tom Petty pre 1982, Early Starship (pre '82) was great live. nobody mentioned G N R but they were worthy. Doobies, the Doors in their time and ELO had great live moments