Do Thai citizens have to pay for treatment in a government hospital for Covid treatment?

losername

A friend of mine was admitted to Banglamung Hospital  yesterday for Covid treatment.  She claims that the hospital is demanding payment of ฿9000 for a 15 day stay.  I don't always believe what she says and I have little knowledge of government hospitals.  Can anyone advise whether Thailand expects their poorer citizens to pay for treatment and is prepared to risk the virus spreading in the population through those who cannot afford the cost?

Depends on if she is registered for the 30 baht scheme at the hospital she is in.  If she is out of province then most medical treatments cost the actual price.  If she is registered at the hospital she is at then something smells awful fishy.  If she was sent to the hospital because she is a Covid patient, then the Thai Government should be picking up the tab.  Not sure what to tell you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Depends on if she is registered for the 30 baht scheme at the hospital she is in.  If she is out of province then most medical treatments cost the actual price.  If she is registered at the hospital she is at then something smells awful fishy.  If she was sent to the hospital because she is a Covid patient, then the Thai Government should be picking up the tab.  Not sure what to tell you.

That's very helpful.  There are issues you have mentioned of which I was not aware.  She is out of province and I doubt she would have the ฿30 scheme even at home.  She had a fever and was told to stay in her room for three days. Nurses visited her there and decided to hospitalise her before the three days were up.  Not sure if that qualifies for the Thai Government picking up the tab.  Thanks.

Complete bloody madness, once the word gets around among the poorer Thais that if they go to hospital with covid sickness they'll cop 9000Bt bills they'll just remain home and spread the infection to everyone else in their vicinity. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, TSF said:

Complete bloody madness, once the word gets around among the poorer Thais that if they go to hospital with covid sickness they'll cop 9000Bt bills they'll just remain home and spread the infection to everyone else in their vicinity. 

what makes u think this hasn't already happened?

any thai i have spoken to ( a total of 7) , have all said that things like"  take care collonaaa so expensive"/

the word is already out there . well but this helps to handle the situation in a way too. do u really think the actual number was 42xx prior to samut sakhon outbreak.

most people are getting allright if this virus in a week or so. u go to a hospital they charge money. many poor thais who had flu like symptoms may have stayed at home and taken medicines to bring down the symptoms. ( i know atleast 3 people who didnt go to hospital and stayed at home when they had flu like symtoms)

the reason for it , hospital charging a lot of money and 30 baht scheme not being nationwide. it is kind of specific to the place. 

• Like 1