800K Posthumously

A friends of mine died in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago and as he had no will in Thailand

it took a lawyer to get a judgment from the local Thai provincial court so the estate in Canada could get the money. The Thai girlfriend could also claim the money from the motorcycle insurance as  she was part of the claimants.

A huge amount of red tape in Thailand and in Canada. Every documents, like the will, notarized, translated  and certified by the local Thai Embassy. Expensive too. The process could be  very long. Local Thai documents like police reports had to be translated too and send to Canada for the estate. 

Like other members said.....just make a simple  will for what you have in Thailand....

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:23 PM, Orton Rd said:

You can have the account a joint signatory which is not a joint account. If I go the Mrs can go in an take out what she wants, the bank are not going to be told i am dead. It's a back up to an ATM card which can always get damaged.

If the bank (or anyone else with a legitimate claim for the assets) finds out that anyone took money out of the account AFTER the account holder died, the person that withdrew the money will be in deep troubles as it's illegal. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:23 PM, Orton Rd said:

You can have the account a joint signatory which is not a joint account. If I go the Mrs can go in an take out what she wants, the bank are not going to be told i am dead. It's a back up to an ATM card which can always get damaged.

I was wondering about something similar where my death is not reported to the bank and my GF can simply use my ATM card and withdraw (for example) 25,000 baht per month.