Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

49 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously the bigger picture has gone over your head.

Without a vaccine for the Thai population the government would have little option other than keeping the borders closed.

The vaccine does not kill off the virus, it can still be transported around the world and those without immunisation would be the ones at risk.

But it has to work with the body's immune system. Eat well ,drink water containing vitamins . Water from the machine has no vitamins in it. The same with rain water..

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

easy ... 69.500.000 thai population

65 DIED over a year

millions of WUFLU tourists came into Thailand (2.000.000) to probably every corner of thailand till march 2020

we probably most / all would test positive to antibodies if the government actually did their job

the myanmar covid cluster, all new illegal into thailand or already here before covid started ?

how many of them died ?  are the hospitals full of them ?

Oh dear.  Please try again.  It is NOT the mortality, it is the morbidity. 

If, as you wish to see, we allow unfettered travel for the young and fit, we will not only see the less virulent Asian strain here.  We will see the far more dangerous European and American strains.  I ask again - what percentage of healthy who are infected need treatment.  Not death; hospital treatment.

What happens to YOU - as a young, fir, heathly individual who has no ill effects from covid - when you have an accident but the hospitals are overflowing with those not as fortunate?

PH

4 minutes ago, Bagwain said:
11 hours ago, kebabby said:

Astrazeneca are doing it as a no-loss and no-profit exercise. My friend in the UK is in charge of compliance systems over this.

Rubbish!!

A reasonably balanced article on who is, and who is not, seeking immediate or longer temr profits from vaccine:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/astrazeneca-puts-a-time-limit-its-covid-19-no-profit-pledge-report

9 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

easy ... 69.500.000 thai population

65 DIED over a year

millions of WUFLU tourists came into Thailand (2.000.000) to probably every corner of thailand till march 2020

we probably most / all would test positive to antibodies if the government actually did their job

the myanmar covid cluster, all new illegal into thailand or already here before covid started ?

how many of them died ?  are the hospitals full of them ?

That was before the Virus  came  about.

3 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Thailand 'orders them'. Down the list for recieving !

Wonder if that is anything to do with the rich West ordering far more than they can use in the immediate future so leaving less available for the rest of the World to obtain.

3 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Country is going bust and Thailand having big problems borrowing more money !! Yes this is something not in the news 

Possibly because it is not true.  Even in Thailand, most news outlets try to only ublish news that is true.

PH

4 minutes ago, Such a Hairy Guy said:

That works out to 61 bahts per dose. I wonder how much farangs will have to pay at private hospital / clinics for this?

Foreigners that contribute to social security and pay income tax should get it free, same as the locals.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. 

8 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

When you make an untrue comment as above, you insult people. You insult the scientists of Oxford University who are not profiting from their decades of research, and you insult the workers  and shareholders at Astra Zeneca who made the decision to act on a humanitarian basis and to waive profits.

Oxford University  and Astra Zeneca  have stated from the outset that the vaccine will be available on a non-profit basis “in perpetuity” to low- and middle-income countries. The wealthier countries will pay a  slightly higher cost to help subsidize  the countries which are unable to purchase vaccine.

Now please tell everyone here how big pharma - big money  has done wrong.

At this time the Oxford University / Astra Zeneca vaccine is the only vaccine that does not have  the  very low temperature requirement. If anything the vaccine maker could charge a much higher cost.

Why do you make this statement as if there is something bad by Oxford University and Astra Zeneca?

You should be ashamed of yourself. Are you making donation of money or scientific research to help anyone?

It happens with people who don't stop to think what there saying .

Just now, Phulublub said:

Wonder if that is anything to do with the rich West ordering far more than they can use in the immediate future so leaving less available for the rest of the World to obtain.

How dare they! Against a virus that originated in China!

The bare-faced cheek!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

funny how you build a factory to make the vaccine, even you have as good as ZERO death (65 in a year) than panic buy tens of millions of doses for a population, dying of  ????????  corona ?   65 out of 69.5 million ?

They didn’t just build a factory. It is an existing factory! 

It is currently contained because of strict measures. Obviously, no one wants to continually be in lockdown. That is why they need vaccines so they can get back to some semblance of normalcy.

11 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Only an unreasonable idiot would disagree with a simple measure of protecting vulnerable (98% deaths ) and let the rest of life continue 

"Letting the rest of life continue" is what some in the US appear to be trying to do...and just look at what is happening there.  Hospitals turning away ambulances becasue they are full - so if you have something OTHER than covid but need to go to hospital you are stuffed.

In the UK, in Kent, the ill and injured are being shipped hundreds of miles to find available mediacal care.

Well thought through strategy, or not?

PH

Edited by Phulublub

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The bare-faced cheek!

There's not just a limited amount of vaccine being made. It's time making it and some countries have to wait unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The bare-faced cheek!

Not sure your point. 

Even if the origin of the virus is China's "fault", please educate me on how South America, Africa, South East Asia should suffer because of the greed of the West.

PH

34 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

A reasonably balanced article on who is, and who is not, seeking immediate or longer temr profits from vaccine:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/astrazeneca-puts-a-time-limit-its-covid-19-no-profit-pledge-report

Your detective work is like Sophie Borg in Fallet. The article is old news making reference to memo between sales rep and contract manufacturing rep in Brazil from 6 month ago. This already investigated and in  EU news media.  In late November,  Olivier Nataf, big boss of AZ answered in interview with Agence France.

Q: AstraZeneca has said that the vaccine will be made available at cost price. This is a different strategy from some of your competitors. What's the thinking behind your strategy?

R: It's more than a strategy, it's a commitment. The price is around 2.50 euros. This is the main subject of our agreement with Oxford, in order to be able to provide this vaccine to the widest possible population, under the most equitable conditions of access possible. We are committed to these three billion doses at cost price for 2021. We must not forget that this is a race against the virus rather than a race for the vaccine between competitors.

AZ also make many statement that the coronavirus vaccine produced by Oxford University and AstraZeneca will be available on a non-profit basis “in perpetuity” to low- and middle-income countries in the developing world.  

When a company  makes good, it should be thanked not be subject to conspiracy claim.

And  I look up Oxford University statement confirming this.  I do not believe  Oxford University  lie, do you?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-23-oxford-university-breakthrough-global-covid-19-vaccine

Edited by Patong2021
Add reference
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Time to grow said:

It astounds me that the masses can not see what is right in front of their faces. Big Pharma has proven time and time again, earnings preempt health. I see no evidence that it is any different this time.

Please explain how  earnings preempt health with the Oxford Vaccine that Thailand will use. What do you not understand about 'cost'?  How much lower than  Euro 2.5  do you want the cost to be?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Your detective work is like Sophie Borg in Fallet. The article is old news making reference to memo between sales rep and contract manufacturing rep in Brazil from 6 month ago. This already investigated and in  EU news media.  In late November,  Olivier Nataf, big boss of AZ answered in interview with Agence France.

Q: AstraZeneca has said that the vaccine will be made available at cost price. This is a different strategy from some of your competitors. What's the thinking behind your strategy?

R: It's more than a strategy, it's a commitment. The price is around 2.50 euros. This is the main subject of our agreement with Oxford, in order to be able to provide this vaccine to the widest possible population, under the most equitable conditions of access possible. We are committed to these three billion doses at cost price for 2021. We must not forget that this is a race against the virus rather than a race for the vaccine between competitors.

AZ also make many statement that the coronavirus vaccine produced by Oxford University and AstraZeneca will be available on a non-profit basis “in perpetuity” to low- and middle-income countries in the developing world.  

When a company  makes good, it should be thanked not be subject to conspiracy claim.

No conspiracy from me, and I applaud AZ making their vaccine available at cost for now. 

But they have said that they will continue to do so "during the pandemic". (This statement is included in the AZ website, so I am reasonably sure of accuracy). That was my only point (and substantially more positive to AZ than the OP). 

At some stage, they will declare, or agree, that the pandemic is over at which point I expect them to start making some return on their investment - an approach that I fully support, providing they do not go early, or price gouge.

PH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

It astounds me that the masses can not see what is right in front of their faces. Big Pharma has proven time and time again, earnings preempt health. I see no evidence that it is any different this time.

Perhaps you should preface "big parma" with "US".  Both Pfizer and Moderna are looking to profit large; other companies, from other countries, are being rather more humanitarian.

PH

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Not sure your point. 

Even if the origin of the virus is China's "fault", please educate me on how South America, Africa, South East Asia should suffer because of the greed of the West.

PH

There not suffering as such. There's no limit  on the amount of vaccine. being made . It's time making it.putting it in capsule ,transporting it. The West gets preference as it's near to the source of supply.

6 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Perhaps you should preface "big parma" with "US".  Both Pfizer and Moderna are looking to profit large; other companies, from other countries, are being rather more humanitarian.

Agreed, not everyone is acting in poor faith but these conglomerates are multinational.

47 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

What happens to YOU - as a young, fir, heathly individual who has no ill effects from covid - when you have an accident but the hospitals are overflowing with those not as fortunate?

are COVID patients not in a special ward so they don't infect others in the first place ?

are the hospitals full of sick people or people forced to be in a hospital and getting TYLENOL as there is no REAL treatment, unless you "have" to put on a ventilator and in case you don't know, most of those people DIE after being put on a ventilator, forced oxygen for a long time destroys, ahum, the lungs ...

• Haha 1

Just now, Time to grow said:

Agreed, not everyone is acting in poor faith but these conglomerates are multinational.

be sure that big pharma will be PAID in FULL

maybe you think not out of your pocket, because the price is kept cheap for you or free

but there is no FREE or non-profit in big pharma

someone always pays for the FREE things

why is research in PRIVATE held companies in the first place ?

how come WHO does ZERO research ? only buying big pharma products and distribution ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

There not suffering as such. There's no limit  on the amount of vaccine. being made . It's time making it.putting it in capsule ,transporting it. The West gets preference as it's near to the source of supply.

Not suffering?  Covid effects only hitting the west then are they?

Pre-ordering multiples of what you can administer is pure selfish greed.  Order what you can administer so that other production can be sent to other places where they can start their programmes.

PH