Indiana Jones fans outraged as Channel 4 airs censored version of Raiders of the Lost Ark

snoop1130

Indiana Jones fans outraged as Channel 4 airs censored version of Raiders of the Lost Ark

By Louis Chilton

newFile-4.jpg

Viewers have reacted in outrage after Channel 4 aired a censored version of the Indiana Jones film Raiders of the Lost Ark on Sunday (3 January).

Steven Spielberg’s beloved adventure film was broadcast with part of its climactic scene omitted – in which a group of Nazi villains have their faces melted off after opening the Ark of the Covenant.

The uncensored film is rated PG (“Parental Guidance”) in the UK, meaning it is approved for “general viewing” and “should not unsettle a child aged around eight or older”.

However, it does contain several scenes which would be unlikely to make it into a PG-rated modern film, including scenes depicting bloody injury, the face-melting scene, and a sequence in which a man is implied to be sliced by the blades of an aeroplane propeller.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/indiana-jones-raiders-channel-4-censored-b1782420.html

The film aired before the 9.00pm watershed, so it was thought that some scenes were too gory for youngsters.

I agree with the watershed and I'm pretty sure that the face melting scene (which lasts a few minutes) would give my 9-year-old nightmares.

I haven't seen the cut version, but I think it would still be an enjoyable story for young ones without the gore.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Viewers have reacted in outrage after Channel 4 aired a censored version of the Indiana Jones film Raiders of the Lost Ark on Sunday (3 January).

Really?

Outraged?

About an old fictional action movie depicting something that didn’t really happen?

Who are these people? They need to get a life.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

The film aired before the 9.00pm watershed, so it was thought that some scenes were too gory for youngsters.

I agree with the watershed and I'm pretty sure that the face melting scene (which lasts a few minutes) would give my 9-year-old nightmares.

I haven't seen the cut version, but I think it would still be an enjoyable story for young ones without the gore.

I was born in 1972. Raiders came out in 1981 and myself and all my friends saw it dozens of times. We were fine. Maybe kids are more sensitive now though and for under nines, maybe it is scary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

a bit like  blurring a cigarette on thai tv and delete any scene with a little nudity

Yet in hit movies from USA etc they blur our people shooting guns and in Thai soaps everyone has them and fires away quite happily before slapping a woman around ! ????