Computer not capable of getting high speeds on the internet.

giddyup

I also have 3bb and only get about 500mbs but if you have a VPN it will be reduce much more.

Edited by vandeventer

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have a 3 year old Lenovo All-in-One that doesn't get anything like the speed I pay for from 3BB, so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest. So if I'm going to buy a new computer I have to make sure it's 5G capable, is that correct?

All you'd need is a 5GHz Wifi adapter. For some reason many of the Lenovo computers come with 2.4 GHz only Wifi cards. Mine was the same. Check Lazada or Shopee or Banana (bnn.in.th) for a USB Wifi adapter that works on 5 GHz. Plug it in the back (if you have Windows 10, it should automatically install). Then disable the other adapter that is built in, and connect to network with your new adapter. If you don't buy noname rubbish for 100 baht, but some reputable brand with high speed rating, you should be able to achieve similar speeds as your technician. Note though that USB 3.0 adapter should be sought, not USB 2. And that your AIO might have only some ports USB 3. If so, you need to plug it into a blue coloured port, not a black one.

As Crossy recommended, however, it might be a lot cheaper and even faster, if you instead just got yourself a short "CAT 6" LAN cable (Ethernet cable) and plug it into one of the (probably 4) ports at the back of your Wifi router that have marking LAN (not WAN), and the other end of the cable into the only port at the back of your PC. I hope you're not unlucky and have a Lenovo that came with 100 mbps LAN only. I know of a few ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, disconnected, but speed seems about the same.

What ethernet cable type are you using, if it is an older type, this may be why you are not getting the speed when plugged in to the router, cable needs to be at least Cat 5e or better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, disconnected, but speed seems about the same.

What is tha name and model number of your 3bb router, you should find the details of the router model number on the bottom of the router depending on the router some ethernet ports will be gigabtye and some not

40 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

By telling you lies, that he expects you to believe.

What were the lies? This guy speaks no English so all he said was translated by my partner, so be careful before you accuse people..

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Mattd said:

What ethernet cable type are you using, if it is an older type, this may be why you are not getting the speed when plugged in to the router, cable needs to be at least Cat 5e or better.

The techie left me a new ethernet cable, yellow, with Data Cable Cat 5 printed on it.

My Tech guy explained it very clearly ... the wifi receiver in nearly ALL laptops can only run at 200Mbs. The standard wifi router can only send about 200 Mbs, so that is what you are seeing.

If you connect by a good old fashioned LAN cable to the back of the router ( you might need a LAN to USB converter as LAN connections are not common these days .... then you will get the max speed. 

However  -  200Mbs is so fast you will not notice the difference as the websites cannot send so quickly. 

SO

Just reduce your costs and pay for a 200 Mbs supply and be happy !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

What were the lies? This guy speaks no English so all he said was translated by my partner, so be careful before you accuse people..

And how do I know that? Did you give that information before? NO!

After that telling me to be careful! Really? I just tried to help you, and tell you what was right and how things work. If you do not want that, then do not start a thread for a discussion in a forum where others reply.

So, as of now it can only be two things. Either your partner have severe difficulties translating thai to english or straight out lie to you, or the technician gave you the wrong info. Just pick your poison. Here I was stupid and thought you wanted help and the right information. Silly me!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

And how do I know that? Did you give that information before? NO!

After that telling me to be careful! Really? I just tried to help you, and tell you what was right and how things work. 

"Anyway, the guy smiles and making an <deleted> out of you" This is helpful? Thanks but I can do without your kind of help. You have just joined a small, but exclusive club.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

"Anyway, the guy smiles and making an <deleted> out of you" This is helpful? Thanks but I can do without your kind of help. You have just joined a small, but exclusive club.

I can see that you really able to see what information that is important in a post. Just go irritate someone else.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, giddyup said:

I have a 3 year old Lenovo All-in-One that doesn't get anything like the speed I pay for from 3BB, so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest. So if I'm going to buy a new computer I have to make sure it's 5G capable, is that correct?

he may be referring to the WIFI  5 GHz which has nothing to do with the not yet activated 5 G communications system, usually WIFI has 2 bands, 1 is 2.4 GHz which the majority of people use and thus tendency to lower speeds and the other is  a 5 GHz which is faster, less crowded but not all devices were built to access it, however your being a 3 year old machine it should have it or you mau have to change your network adapter, did the guy advise you on that?

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

he may be referring to the WIFI  5 GHz which has nothing to do with the not yet activated 5 G communications system, usually WIFI has 2 bands, 1 is 2.4 GHz which the majority of people use and thus tendency to lower speeds and the other is  a 5 GHz which is faster, less crowded but not all devices were built to access it, however your being a 3 year old machine it should have it or you mau have to change your network adapter, did the guy advise you on that?

No. There was a bit of a language barrier though.

• Haha 1

Here are the technical specs for your c20-00

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo_Desktops/Lenovo_C20/Lenovo_C20_Spec.PDF

as you can see 

Some: 11ac wireless, 1x1, Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo adapter, M.2 Card Bluetooth 4.0 wireless, integrated in Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo adapter

Gigabit Ethernet connection

Do you know the name of the wifi card that you are currently using, you can find out by clicking on the network icon bottom of screen and click on properties you should see something like this

Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz I believe yours should be Intel(R) Wi-Fi 3165

Also do you know the make and model number of your 3bb router

Technical if your all in one has a m2 slot you could just replace the wifi card with a Wi-Fi 6 AX200 m2 card with speeds up to Max Bandwidth: Up To 2402Mbps depending on the type of router that you have 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

My speed is now around 250Mbps, that's connected with LAN, I'm happy enough with that, so I'm leaving well enough alone. Thanks for all the advice though.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, GrandPapillon said:

Your router should offer two wifi networks, one on the 2.4Ghz band, which you are probably connected to, and another one on the 5Ghz band,

Giddyup

This is true.  The older 2.4 Ghz band will not support the faster speeds.  Make sure your connection is to the 5 Ghz bandwith on the router.  I know on my computer I get speeds of only about 55 - 75 MBPS on the 2.4 but upwards of 500 on the 5. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Giddyup

This is true.  The older 2.4 Ghz band will not support the faster speeds.  Make sure your connection is to the 5 Ghz bandwith on the router.  I know on my computer I get speeds of only about 55 - 75 MBPS on the 2.4 but upwards of 500 on the 5. 

Looking at the back of my router it has 4 LAN connections, just marked 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Edited by giddyup

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Looking at the back of my router it has 4 LAN connections, just marked 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Those are LAN connections.  They are for hard wire from the router to your computer.  However when you go to your computer and search for wireless connections you should see something like this. Notice some of the connections are 5 and others 2.4.  You would want to select yours that is marked 5G.  That would connect your computer to the 5.0 Megahertz wireless 
image.png.8d9efd77e7cd38c1490fc351124ff014.png

31 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Those are LAN connections.  They are for hard wire from the router to your computer.  However when you go to your computer and search for wireless connections you should see something like this. Notice some of the connections are 5 and others 2.4.  You would want to select yours that is marked 5G.  That would connect your computer to the 5.0 Megahertz wireless 
image.png.8d9efd77e7cd38c1490fc351124ff014.png

Yes, the PC is already showing a 5G connection, but the max speed I've seen is around 250.

I'm not sure that I get this preoccupation with internet speeds.  If it provides what you need, without interruption or buffering, then that is all that matters.  We run our house on 2.4  ToT Fiber and it more than adequate for both myself and Mrs P to run movies at the same time. It's never a problem. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

I'm not sure that I get this preoccupation with internet speeds.  If it provides what you need, without interruption or buffering, then that is all that matters.  We run our house on 2.4  ToT Fiber and it more than adequate for both myself and Mrs P to run movies at the same time. It's never a problem. 

I only questioned it because 3BB advertises the speed as up to 1GB and I'm only getting 1/5th of that.