Computer not capable of getting high speeds on the internet.

giddyup

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I only questioned it because 3BB advertises the speed as up to 1GB and I'm only getting 1/5th of that.

In general terms those or any speed quoted will apply to local in country servers, NOT international speeds that most of us use, where they can and do vary dramatically from those stated/claimed.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Yes, the PC is already showing a 5G connection, but the max speed I've seen is around 250.

As mentioned your connection speed is a combination of things.  If you are getting 250 you probably have a wireless card in the computer with a 300 MBPS adapter.  If it is a desktop the card would look like the attached.  If it is a laptop it will be a smaller card So no matter how fast 3bb and/or the router is sending the signal your computer is limited to the speed of the card it has installed.  Try a newer Iphone, connect to the 5g network wireless and then test.  You should get higher than 250.  If it is your computer card, you "can" upgrade to a faster card.  However don't expect that your wireless will ever approach to 1gb speed.  The processor CPU in your computer and your RAM will also control how much data the computer can handle at once.  Try also hooking up your computer with a wired LAN.  That should be as fast as the computer can go. 

image.png.97023b1ed235493172e62a650b8c7738.png

Mini, internalnetworkcard, Intel, interfaceaddoncard

Just now, Thomas J said:

As mentioned your connection speed is a combination of things.  If you are getting 250 you probably have a wireless card in the computer with a 300 MBPS adapter.  If it is a desktop the card would look like the attached.  If it is a laptop it will be a smaller card So no matter how fast 3bb and/or the router is sending the signal your computer is limited to the speed of the card it has installed.  Try a newer Iphone, connect to the 5g network wireless and then test.  You should get higher than 250.  If it is your computer card, you "can" upgrade to a faster card.  However don't expect that your wireless will ever approach to 1gb speed.  The processor CPU in your computer and your RAM will also control how much data the computer can handle at once.  Try also hooking up your computer with a wired LAN.  That should be as fast as the computer can go.

Yes, pretty sure the card is what limits the speed. Don't get me wrong, generally I'm pretty happy for a speed around 200-250, but I guess if I'm paying for more I'm wasting my money.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I only questioned it because 3BB advertises the speed as up to 1GB and I'm only getting 1/5th of that.

okay fair enough if you are not getting what you are paying for.   I have never checked what ToT are giving  against their contract as I've never had an issue that needed me to do so. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, pretty sure the card is what limits the speed. Don't get me wrong, generally I'm pretty happy for a speed around 200-250, but I guess if I'm paying for more I'm wasting my money.

If you are getting speeds of 200 - 250 you really for everyday surfing on the internet won't notice any difference if it was 500 or 750.  Internet here is cheap so the 1gb speed that 3bb offers is a bargain even if you only get the 250 speed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Who cares what is advertised. What level of service (i.e. internet speed) are you paying for?

My provider also can deliver 1GB speeds, but I only have signed up for the 600MB plan. You get what you pay for.

Also, on a different note, the speed of incoming data can be affected by the 3rd-party server doling out the data itself... something that you (or 3BB) will never have any control over.

P.S. I am happy with my internet speed on my computer; 84.1 Mbps download, 17.5 Mbps upload. I have at any given about 10 devices on my LAN; they collectively share the bandwidth.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

That speed is only in Thailand anyway. You will never see that kind of speed to Europe or the USA.  Be more concerned about latency. Most of us cannot afford to keep our PCs up to the current needs to support the speeds you all seemed to be worried about