Computer not capable of getting high speeds on the internet.

giddyup

I have a 3 year old Lenovo All-in-One that doesn't get anything like the speed I pay for from 3BB, so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest. So if I'm going to buy a new computer I have to make sure it's 5G capable, is that correct?

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have a 3 year old Lenovo All-in-One that doesn't get anything like the speed I pay for from 3BB, so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest. So if I'm going to buy a new computer I have to make sure it's 5G capable, is that correct?

I am not a techie as can be seen by some of my "help" posts, but with 200Mbs you should be fine......I get pretty good quality from my 50Mbps connection.

smells bs to me, the catch is normally signal strength and how well the receiver can read.

an analogy, i was complaining how abysmal my speed was to landlord,

he showed his phone was working, i took my laptop and walked past a couple of other condos, and then i got signal.

it turned out the router outside my door was broken, his phone could pick up

signal from a distant router, but my laptop couldnt.

in your case i think his laptop has a stronger receiver,

just like my landlords phone has

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jackdd said:

Are you connected to the 5Ghz wifi network?

5Ghz wifi ("ac" wifi) was introduced in 2013, I guess nearly every laptop which is less than 5 years old supports this.

The easy solution would be to just use a cable.

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to computers. All I know is that the 3BB technician said my 3 year old Lenovo isn't capable of getting more that the 200Mbps I'm getting, whether I use Wi-fi or a Lan cable. He had his laptop alongside my PC and used the same Ookla speedtest I was using and his test showed nearly 800Mbps.

1 minute ago, scammed said:

smells bs to me, the catch is normally signal strength and how well the receiver can read.

an analogy, i was complaining how abysmal my speed was to landlord,

he showed his phone was working, i took my laptop and walked past a couple of other condos, and then i got signal.

it turned out the router outside my door was broken, his phone could pick up

signal from a distant router, but my laptop couldnt

The 3BB techie showed nearly 800Mbps from his laptop using the same router as me, something must be different. My computer is right next to the router.

Edited by giddyup

Just now, giddyup said:

The 3BB techie showed nearly 800Mbps from his laptop using the same router as me, something must be different.

yes, his receiver is stronger, i think by merely move your computer closer to the router will get your speed up

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Your router should offer two wifi networks, one on the 2.4Ghz band, which you are probably connected to, and another one on the 5Ghz band, which the technician probably used.

Post the exact model of your laptop, then we can tell you if your laptop supports this or not.

It's a Lenovo Idea Centre, model AIO C20-00

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to computers. All I know is that the 3BB technician said my 3 year old Lenovo isn't capable of getting more that the 200Mbps I'm getting, whether I use Wi-fi or a Lan cable. He had his laptop alongside my PC and used the same Ookla speedtest I was using and his test showed nearly 800Mbps.

The technician is wrong there. That only has to do with the wifi connection. It´s only the wifi connection that has to do with 5G. If you connect with cable, it is the network card and it´s specs that are ruling. Check what network card you have and if it supports the kind of speed they deliver.

• Like 1

I have the same issue.

Gigabit wifi from 3BB  -my huawei P30 gets 600mbps+ download which surprised the teccies from 3bb who only get about 300 on their phones.

They also said my 3 y o HP laptop is low spec relative to gigabit wifi. I bought a cat 8 ethernet cable which improves measured download speeds in the HP and I think I may need a new wireless card for it. I also tried researching what specs I need in a new laptop to work well with gigabit internet but didnt get very far so I will watch replies to your thread with interest.

• Like 1

I have a couple of laptops. Both have 5Ghz WiFi. The top spec Dell XPS13 with i7 processor flies along at 600mbs+ even with screen/lid closed (I use it like a desktop connected to monitor and keyboard/mouse) and away from router. The other is a Lenovo with i3 processor with lid open (WiFi antennas built into screen surrounds) and closer to the router only gets about 200mbs. Still plenty fast and I put it down to system power.

Edited by soi3eddie

Just now, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

The technician is wrong there. That only has to do with the wifi connection. It´s only the wifi connection that has to do with 5G. If you connect with cable, it is the network card and it´s specs that are ruling. Check what network card you have and if it supports the kind of speed they deliver.

How can I check network card? Anyway, the proof is in the pudding, I only get just over 200 Mbps, and he got nearly 800Mbps.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My PC isn't capable of any higher speed that it's getting now, with or without a cable.

So you have tried a wired connection between the router and the PC?

Just now, transam said:

Check to see the power of the LAN card, I had to replace mine to a 1 GB LAN card to receive the speed. 

My speed is around 300mbps, but surely 200 can handle anything you throw at it....

https://www.visioneclick.com/blog/how-fast-is-a-100-mbps-internet

Download speeds aren't bad as far as downloading torrents but internet searches can be a bit sluggish.

Your Ideacentre should have a gigabit ethernet card.

With a wired connection go to Network and Internet Settings, Ethernet, Change adapter options, double click on your ethernet card and check what "speed" is shown on the General tab. Should be 1Gbps.

Post a screen shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just discovered I can not upgrade the network card in my HP as its integral to the motherboard but one solution apparently is to buy a USB3.0 RJ45 gigabit connector- about 500 baht, so I may give that  a whirl, to see if it makes a significant difference to my ethernet connection  cat 8..  Any thoughts or experience of that welcomed

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a Lenovo Idea Centre, model AIO C20-00

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/c-series-/Lenovo-C20-00/p/FF3KF3C0224

It supports only "11ac 1x1" wifi which means a theoretical max speed of 433mbps. Your 200 seems a bit low, but on the other hand you can't expect much more than 300mbps anyway... If you want more speed just use a cable, then you can get up to 1gbits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beau thai said:

Just discovered I can not upgrade the network card in my HP as its integral to the motherboard but one solution apparently is to buy a USB3.0 RJ45 gigabit connector- about 500 baht, so I may give that  a whirl, to see if it makes a significant difference to my ethernet connection  cat 8..  Any thoughts or experience of that welcomed

Your laptop most likely has a gigabit network card already, so when using a cable you should have no problem to achieve this speed with the built in card.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My PC isn't capable of any higher speed that it's getting now, with or without a cable.

That is not correct, your computer has a gigabit ethernet card, so is capable of utilizing as much speed as your internet connection can give, if the technician was getting 800mbps on WiFi, then you should get at least this via an ethernet cable plugged directly in to the modem.

• Like 1