Layover and RT-PCR 72 hours prior

I'm finding it difficult to find a lab that can guarantee results fast enough.

Is there a specific maximum layover time if I need to switch airlines in Honolulu and California when coming from Maui? Can these documents be printed at an airport or shown to immigration from my phone if they are not received before boarding the flight to Honolulu/California?

What is the best way to guarantee everything will be okay when the labs take 72 hours to provide RT-PCR results?

**Also, is proof of onward flight needed when a Tourist Visa is obtained?

Thank you

Edited by Kwaynoom

44 minutes ago, Kwaynoom said:

I'm finding it difficult to find a lab that can guarantee results fast enough.

Is there a specific maximum layover time if I need to switch airlines in Honolulu and California when coming from Maui? Can these documents be printed at an airport or shown to immigration from my phone if they are not received before boarding the flight to Honolulu/California?

What is the best way to guarantee everything will be okay when the labs take 72 hours to provide RT-PCR results?

**Also, is proof of onward flight needed when a Tourist Visa is obtained?

Thank you

check this post out for fast pcr in LA

The rules states certificate for the test must be no older than 72 hours before your departing flight. 

In your case that would be your flight from Maui.

Whether you you need proof of a onward flight depends upon where you are applying for a tourist visa at. The airlines do not ask for ask for them if you have a valid visa.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

The rules states certificate for the test must be no older than 72 hours before your departing flight. 

In your case that would be your flight from Maui.

Are you so sure about that? Both Maui-HNL and HNL-LAX flights are domestic flights. Are the check-in staff at Maui airport and HNL going to check if you have all the proper documents for flying to BKK? Kinda doubt it. What if you stopped over in LA for a couple/'few days, then boarded your LAX-BKK flight? What if you had a Maui-LAX roundtrip ticket and a separate LAX-BKK roundtrip ticket? And which flights would you put in the COE - Maui-LAX and LAX-BKK, or just the LAX-BKK roundtrip flights? Logic would seem to say it's the departing flight from your country. What you do within your country is your own business. Either that or the first flight listed in your COE. If all the flights from Maui to BKK are connecting flights, then practically speaking the OP would have to get both the covid and FTF tests done before boarding in Maui, it would seem.

18 minutes ago, 10years said:

Are you so sure about that? Both Maui-HNL and HNL-LAX flights are domestic flights. Are the check-in staff at Maui airport and HNL going to check if you have all the proper documents for flying to BKK?

If you only submitted the flight from LAX to here when you upload your tickets to the COE application site that is when they would probably want to see the certificate to be within 72 hours.

The people that wrote the rules probably did not take into consideration a long trip to the airport where you are starting your actual trip to here. For many people about all of the trip is international with with connections through more than one airport.

3 hours ago, 10years said:

What if you stopped over in LA for a couple/'few days, then boarded your LAX-BKK flight? What if you had a Maui-LAX roundtrip ticket and a separate LAX-BKK roundtrip ticket?

The OP specifically said layover (transit to others) rather than stopover which makes your first scenario moot.  A stopover would indeed reset the clock, and the 72 hours would be from LAX departure and documents verified at check in there.

Seperate tickets would also mean the checks would be done in LAX, which might make it easier to facilitate the testing etc, but runs the risk of you losing your international flight if your domestic one fails to deliver.  If the OP has a through ticket from Maui (OGG) to BKK, with transit in LAX, then the 72 hours is from the OGG departure.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you only submitted the flight from LAX to here when you upload your tickets to the COE application site that is when they would probably want to see the certificate to be within 72 hours.

The people that wrote the rules probably did not take into consideration a long trip to the airport where you are starting your actual trip to here. For many people about all of the trip is international with with connections through more than one airport.

I think I should be okay as I included the OGG flight to LAX in the application for the COE. Worse case scenario, I should have enough time to get the test done at the LAX airport.

Can you please confirm that tourist exempt is okay from USA at the moment? Will it be possible to extend 60 days using the covid immigration form on a visa exempt?

4 hours ago, Kwaynoom said:

Can you please confirm that tourist exempt is okay from USA at the moment?

Yes it is allowed to enter visa exempt and get a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

4 hours ago, Kwaynoom said:

Will it be possible to extend 60 days using the covid immigration form on a visa exempt?

I cannot answer that question at this time. The current order allowing them expires on the 29th of this month. I think it will be extended but not sure what rules will be for it.

I am not sure if there is date set in the current one for when you entered the country or were here already to apply for one.