Verification of Income - Canada

16 minutes ago, fishtank said:

As far as I know they still do them.

Thanks for the reply

However, my next question would be, "How far do you know?".

I have tried looking into Canada's Bangkok embassy website. Talk about a complete goat ropin' ! 

7 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Off hand, does anyone know if Canada has also discontinued issuing verification of income statements? 

Thanks in advance ...

Yes they still do as of last October, as that's when I had them do one for me. Also I asked them if they would anytime soon stop issuing them and they not said not in the near future. One other thing, you have to show proof that you do receive the income, as they have asked me the last 2 times, so I just gave them a copy of my latest income tax return.

I'm not Canadian. I am asking for a neighbor who has a Canadian friend looking to retire here. 

I would assume he could hammer it out. But, one never knows.

I have forwarded all the info. 

Thanks everyone. 

Just adding a little more info.

Canada still issues income letters upon proof.

I was able to get it done by mail last year.

They also need a signed assertion, and then a credit card authorization ($50C)

If you contact them they can e-mail you the forms.

A few Thai Immigration offices (I know of Hua Hin and Petchaburi) want the stamped Canadian embassy income letter verified by the Department of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana.

Well at least for extension based on marriage.

Again you can do it by mail (advised, it's a zoo there sometimes).

Hope this helps.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

They still do the statutory declarations for proof of income. Same as before you have to provide proof of your income when you do it. 

See: https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/legal-juridiques.aspx?lang=eng

My question would be: "If Canada can do them, why can't the USA?  The only POSSIBLE answer is that they do not WANT to do them. It requires no extra staff, only documentation. We all get tax returns or firm documentation for Social Security, state retirement and Annuity payments. It could be easily done, but staff would rather loaf.

9 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

My question would be: "If Canada can do them, why can't the USA?  The only POSSIBLE answer is that they do not WANT to do them. It requires no extra staff, only documentation. We all get tax returns or firm documentation for Social Security, state retirement and Annuity payments. It could be easily done, but staff would rather loaf.

Your question should be how can Canada along with many countries provide letter. .

They are supposed to verify the income.

Impossible.

Australia is an example where AU citizens previously made a statutory declaration. Think it's called affidavit in USA. 

Anyway I had discussion with experienced persons working at AU embassy bkk re this worn out topic. The reply was...."stat Decs from Au embassies can only be used within Australia".

When I asked how were they issued previously for immigration the reply was that they should not have been.

Advice to the contrary welcome, however this occured with embassy staff over a dinner.

Perhaps they were 'taking the #iss' out of me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Australia is an example where AU citizens previously made a statutory declaration. Think it's called affidavit in USA.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your question should be how can Canada along with many countries provide letter. .

They are supposed to verify the income.

Impossible.

The USA Embassy gave the same reason. The State Department made the decision after updated guidelines issued by Thai Immigration.

Years ago, I offered to supply my tax records, bank, IRA, and pension statements. Immigration doesn't accept them because they could be faked. With the new ruling, the embassy would have to provide the actual documentation that they had verified the documents.

As far as why some can continue, there is always the possibility that different embassies are given different requirements. I know different applicants  are treated differently by different IOs. No reason they wouldn't do the same with embassies.