Habits - starting bad ones again...

1FinickyOne

I remember hearing a fellow say that he would start smoking again when he reaches 80... and it gave him something to look forward to...

I never saw my father eat a sweet or desert until he was about 75... and he lived to 92... 

What are your plans or did you never give up some of the bad habits in the first place? Sometimes it is a matter of quality of life - 

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I packed up smoking over forty years ago for health reasons when smoking cigs was still popular by many.

Cut down on drinking 30 years ago not really for health reasons for financial reasons which I guess in turn helped my health.

Since retirement get my body checked every 4 months as I am registered in a clinic at our local govt hospital.

I watch what kinds of foods I eat more nowadays in my aging years.

I generally listen to my body more and as I always say I have to get to know my limitations which annoys me as I have always been a strong active person. 

It's what you want to believe in.

My oldest brother he died when he was 83 years old.

Smoked heavy cigarettes like Gauloiase, and drank like a heretic.

Of course you can say when he don't do this maybe he still alive, but in my opinion (I'm 73) it's all relative.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I packed up smoking over forty years ago for health reasons when smoking cigs was still popular by many.

Cut down on drinking 30 years ago

so, lets say you are past 50 - - and in another 100 years, you hit 150... might you take up smoking again? Or are you so far from it that you have no desire at all? 

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

so, lets say you are past 50 - - and in another 100 years, you hit 150... might you take up smoking again? Or are you so far from it that you have no desire at all? 

Nah I see smoking as a filthy habit just like I see hard drugs IMO.

It's not down to desire for me but having a hundred wives or more would be. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, madmen said:

I have an extra 1 beer a day now and I'm racked with guilt. 

I eat a lot of ice cream at the weekends and that makes me a bit racked with guilt. I am still the same weight as I was in my thirties.

• Like 2

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
14 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I believe its quality over quantity.

I like to have a drink and I like to have a smoke.  I know I smoke too much.  But I love my wife.

If I was to give up smoking now I would be a total a....hole!  I know because I have tried to stop so many times and I end up starting again because I cant even stand myself.  Now what kind of a life is that for my lovely devoted wife........let alone myself.  I should never have started.  Once a smoker, always a smoker I say.  That's why there are so many ex smokers out there who are ever ready to stick the blade in because you are a smoker.   They become total a##holes because they are still craving but in total denial.

I love my wife and we have a great life together.  When we have a few drinks we are as happy as Larry, always a good laugh or a giggle   Is that so bad?  Lets face it we live in a totally unnatural plastic life.....make the most of it however you can I say.  However I must say that as I have got older I have needed to take notice of that and moderate things a bit.  Everything in moderation!

Now getting back to your post title, I thought you were refering to the starting of bad habits during lockdown and I was thinking I havnt started any bad habits but have a lot more time for those I already possess lol!

Ha, you can be overrated as a smoker in your mind, but is smoked over 25 years, dark tobacco and stopped when my child came to be born. This was over 30 years ago and I still have fun in life. Not been, like you presume, an a..hole in any way. 

And feel happy and lively hopefully for many more years to come! ???????? Cheers 

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I eat a lot of ice cream at the weekends and that makes me a bit racked with guilt. I am still the same weight as I was in my thirties.

23 stone !   LOL    (322lbs, 150kg)    Sorry Possum, it's a joke.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Is that you? For the record, I am 76 Ks and 6 ft tall.

No Possum, you missed the joke. You said you were the same weight as you were in your thirties and I replied....................................23 stone?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harm Hendrik Reitsma said:

Ha, you can be overrated as a smoker in your mind, but is smoked over 25 years, dark tobacco and stopped when my child came to be born. This was over 30 years ago and I still have fun in life. Not been, like you presume, an a..hole in any way. 

And feel happy and lively hopefully for many more years to come! ???????? Cheers 

Good luck to ya!

My neighbor up the road whom I bought land was a good friend 68 years old  .. he got cancer and had to use a <deleted> bag. .. he said he’d been ftrucking since 15 

and had a good run at it so it was OK.. unfortunately 6 months later he went to 

see the universe.. 

i always thought i hope I’m happy as he was at 68.. I’ve two years to ago.. enjoy

life is my thinking because it won’t be forever.. 

78337DE7-826D-4C00-9C01-E7F52EF35B1C.jpeg

• Thanks 1