Activethai resources for learning the Thai alphabet

onebir

Thai-language.com has everything necessary to learn the Thai language to a high level.  

The alphabet is there under Resources or lessons.  I hear nothing using an iPad when I "click" the speaker symbol so I assume that a computer is necessary to get what you want.  

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Thai-language.com has everything necessary to learn the Thai language to a high level.  

The alphabet is there under Resources or lessons.  I hear nothing using an iPad when I "click" the speaker symbol so I assume that a computer is necessary to get what you want.  

Do you mean this? I use it for the consonant objects, but for now prefer the one linked in the OP for the characters (easier to compare similar-looking characters, & plays sounds fine on Firefox; maybe an ipad browser issue?) 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, tgeezer said:

I hear nothing using an iPad when I "click" the speaker symbol

Funnily enough, this is an issue I came across with my website a few days ago.  (Previously I'd only targeted desktop users, so didn't bother testing on tablets.)  It appears that browser developers have decided to ignore the W3C standard for audio and are blocking scripts from playing sound in certain circumstances on tablets and 'phones - notionally to save bandwidth, I understand.

Anyway, I did find a workaround and now my alphabet/vowel/diphthong flashcards have sound (at least on Android devices).

If any kind iPad user would care to check whether they can get sound and let me know, I'd really appreciate it.  (I don't own an iPad.) Thanks.

The link is:  http://thai-notes.com/games/alphabetcards.html

6 hours ago, ThaiNotes said:

Anyway, I did find a workaround and now my alphabet/vowel/diphthong flashcards have sound (at least on Android devices).

If reproducing the activethai table wouldn't be difficult, it could be improved in several ways:
- customizable sounds*

- ability to randomize character positions**

- ability to show only a subset of characters

- (ability to) display an indication of character class (by color coding?)

- ability to show a message for each character (eg a mnemonic?)

This would transform it into a flashcard-like game (the other characters acting as distractors). I'm using it like a game now, but the options are limited (eg clicking through the tiles in various orders). I can remember most of them, but I think the process could have been quicker (eg I spent several hours coming up with my own mnemonic.)

* now it plays consonant + consonant object. It'd be nice to be able to play any subset of  consonant as initial, consonant as final & consonant object.

** either chosen individually, or configured as subsets (by high/mid/low, or perhaps groups of easily confused characters)