Red Cross appeals for blood donations amid depletion of reserves

webfact

Red Cross appeals for blood donations amid depletion of reserves

By The Nation

800_862224f974c79bc.jpg?v=1610264808

The Thai Red Cross has appealed for blood donations as their stocks are dwindling.

"We invite people to unite in donating blood through the Covid-19 crisis as hospitals across the country are in a critical condition."

Healthy people can donate blood at the National Blood Center, Thai Red Cross Society.

4I0A7987%20copy.jpg

The number of donors has dropped by 50 per cent while the mobile unit has cancelled its blood collection drives due to difficulty in travelling and Covid-19 preventive measure, Red Cross said.

Red Cross also urged blood donors to truthfully answer questions about their health and travel. "If unsure, you should temporarily refrain from donating blood for four weeks, wear a face mask every time you travel, donate blood, wash your hands frequently and keep a distance.

4I1A8015%20copy.jpg

Donate blood at:

▪︎National Blood Service Center, Thai Red Cross Society

▪︎Blood and Plasma Donation Center, 11th Red Cross Station, Wiset Niyom and Bang Khae branch

▪︎National Blood Service Sector

▪︎Blood donation service

▪︎Provincial hospitals across the country

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401008

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-11

"Healthy people can donate blood at the National Blood Center, Thai Red Cross Society.".  Not quite true.  I went all the way over to the Bangkok Red Cross site near Lumphini (about an hour for me to get there), and I believe that I'm very healthy (I usually ride my bike about 200 kms/week, and swim usually 1 km/every day).  But they wouldn't take my blood because I'm European, and over 60.  Rather disappointing after the effort that I made to donate.  So I'd really urge anyone considering giving that they check with the Red Cross whether they'll accept your blood before you bother trying to give.

The Thai Red Cross have some rather unique conditions that must be met before they will allow farangs and older people (50+) to donate.   That one office would ask for paid testing prior to donation would not surprise me at all.  Isn't that what the various immigration offices do?  Kinda make up there own rules as they see fit?