Moderna says their vaccine last at least a year.

Virt

Great news though some of the vaccines of the past lasted permanently. A yearly Covid jab would be annoying. However if everyone takes it for 2 years or so it would possibly kill the virus completely. Too bad too many anti vaxers so that dream will probably not come true. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Great news though some of the vaccines of the past lasted permanently. A yearly Covid jab would be annoying. However if everyone takes it for 2 years or so it would possibly kill the virus completely. Too bad too many anti vaxers so that dream will probably not come true. 

There are companies trying to develop a vaccine that last a lifetime like the ones for measles and polio if my memory serves me right , but it's not like they are anywhere close to finishing those, so untll then, it's good if the current ones provide a year or so. 

I know there are some Danes trying to develop the lifetime type of vaccines, but don't know how far they progressed. 

As for the anti vaxxers. 

Well that's a totally different discussion, but they are entitled to their opinion.

It's a free world ????

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I agree they should be allowed not to take the vaccine. However they then should not moan if they can't travel or are not allowed into certain countries. If you choose not too then there are consequences.  They just have to figure out what they think is more important and has more impact on their life. 

Bullseye.

• Like 1

Which hole did they pull that one out of? I'm guessing it was the dark smelly one.

Considering they haven't even had a year to test the things, and that this company has never produced or developed anything at all prior to covid, how on earth would they know?

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

31 minutes ago, Virt said:

There are companies trying to develop a vaccine that last a lifetime like the ones for measles and polio if my memory serves me right , but it's not like they are anywhere close to finishing those, so untll then, it's good if the current ones provide a year or so. 

I know there are some Danes trying to develop the lifetime type of vaccines, but don't know how far they progressed. 

As for the anti vaxxers. 

Well that's a totally different discussion, but they are entitled to their opinion.

It's a free world ????

The vaccine's protection lasts at least a year. It may well last a lifetime. And unless phatmaceutical manufacturers possess a time machine, how could they be working on a vaccine that lasts a lifetime? How would they know?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Don't let the ant vaxers in and don't extend their stay anymore when already here.

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The vaccine's protection lasts at least a year. It may well last a lifetime. And unless phatmaceutical manufacturers possess a time machine, how could they be working on a vaccine that lasts a lifetime? How would they know?

Different disease different vaccines. 

Some last a lifetime as you probably allready know. 

Some don't, just like the flu vaccine. 

If we're lucky some of the the current covid-19 vaccines might last a lifetime but I highly doubt it. 

New ones are under development, and I look forward to see how that goes. 

I'm just glad if they work at least a year, because that gives us a chance to bring this to an end, but with new jabs once in a while.

If a jab pr year can bring us back to totally normal I'm more than willing to get those shots. 

I prefer that Compared to the world we live in now. 

• Like 2

There will be new mutations that will eventually evade the immune response generated by vaccines. Pfizer may say they can change the mRNA sequence in 6 weeks, but this interrupts production and is not sustainable if this occurs every few months. If large swatches of the world do not receive vaccines this year (as suggested by many) and have a high infection rate, such mutations are more likely to occur and will spread to other areas. In a really bad case, these will also reduce or negate protection in those already vaccinated. What is required is xth-generation vaccines that target other areas of the virus than just the spike protein. In the meantime there is a need for second generation vaccines that can be limited to one shot, can be stored at room temp. and are easy to mass produce. Some of these points could in theory be achieved by using (recombinant)protein vaccines. There are quite a few in development but progress seems slow. The GSK-Sanofi product was not a great success and delivery has now been delayed to the end of the year, IF the modified product affords better protection to the elderly.

• Like 1