Buying gold coins in Thailand

I'm interested so too but after looking on the website of Tarad.com, and try to compare a gold coin for example a Krugerrand with a weight of 1 troy ounce from about 1600 Euro with an "Emmerald Buddha medaille also 31,1 gr but with a price from about 2300 Euro, it seems unwise to me to buy gold coins in Thailand.

Moreover it is not certain the coin is made of 24 karat.

19 hours ago, SVBlue said:

Actually, BOT will not or ever do any coin.

A few years back, the Thai Treasury (I believe) minted a very limited series of gold coins. They were quite nice. But I am sure you had to be well connected to purchase one. I have always wondered why they do not issue more.

http://www.royalthaimint.net/ewtadmin/ewt/mint_en/ewt_news.php?nid=303&filename=index

As far as I know, gold 1 Oz coins such as SA Krugerrands or US Eagles are not available in Thailand.

For special occasions Thailand has produced gold commemorative coins which can be obtained through coin dealers or the Eur-Seree auction house, but at a hefty premium to the gold price.

I do have several of these gold coins, but normally I buy either 99.99% gold bars from PAMP Switzerland (from Ausiris or YLG) or Thai 96.5% gold bars (from any gold shop). 

Thanachart Fund manager has a physical gold fund called TGoldBullion and local funds such as Krungsri Asset Management have a fund linked to the GLD ETF.

If you buy gold bars from a gold shop, always sell through the same shop since other shops will offer a lower price.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus

Thanks for all the answers.

It’s not really for investment, more for long term insurance. I guess the more time I spend in Asia the more I become like them ????

Those Hang Seng coins look pretty good, I’ll have to check them out. Looks like the premium is the same as in a one baht bar, so won’t pay more for them vs the bar.

• Like 1

You can get 99.99% gold bars here, but as said above, 96.5% is the Thai standard, probably because it's not as soft for using in jewellery.

image.png.3e2e6e2d6081866e872b3052d037310f.png

This place also sells imported 99.99% bars certified by the London Bullion Market Association:

image.png.bc83e558166a3b664ce1d720ea82212d.png

รับซื้้อขายทองคำแท่ง 99.99% (LBMA) | ห้างทองแม่ทองสุก MTS (mtsgold.co.th)

2 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Those Hang Seng coins look pretty good, I’ll have to check them out. Looks like the premium is the same as in a one baht bar, so won’t pay more for them vs the bar.

Indeed, I plan to exchange some of my 5 baht bars for these coins, easier to move around and sell, if and when necessary...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1