Work Permit Means No Import Tax?

G'day All

I saw on the work permit section of the website, that if you have one (which I do) it means you can import a (your) car tax free? Is that accurate?

Any chance I could swing an import from Japan, given that I am an Aussie?

Cheers

G'day All

I saw on the work permit section of the website, that if you have one (which I do) it means you can import a (your) car tax free? Is that accurate?

Cheers

my advice is... abandon all wet dreams of importing a car to Thailand.

G'day All

Cheers

Nope! Bull I'm afraid. If true there would be far more imported vehicles around.

A WP does not entitle you to import anything (much less vehicles) without paying the taxes and duties :o

EDIT Can you tell us where you spotted this mis-information so it can be corrected :D

Edited by Crossy

it allows you to import personal effects, and normal house hold items.

Cars, are specifically excluded. The only way you are going to get a car into Thailand tax free from Japan is if you have diplomatic privelges. Even then, you are restricted to selling your cars to other diplomats for 7 years.

G'day All

Cheers

Nope! Bull I'm afraid. If true there would be far more imported vehicles around.

A WP does not entitle you to import anything (much less vehicles) without paying the taxes and duties :o

EDIT Can you tell us where you spotted this mis-information so it can be corrected :D

Yeah - though it was a pipe dream.

The following info is on: http://www.thaivisa.com/391.0.html

One advantage of holding a work permit is that you are allowed to import your car into Thailand without having to pay the very high duty otherwise payable, however you may not sell it and must comply with the law covering the use of cars in Thailand.

Would be nice though wouldn't it!!

Just as a matter of interest for everybody. I recently imported my household effects from the UK WITHOUT paying ANY import duties just by using my retirement visa. :o

How 'recently' Cheshire? I thought that avenue was plugged last year some time, leaving only the 'returning national' to be able to import without duties.

Edited by Crossy

Are you sure this is still the case? I thought they'd pretty well plugged all the holes in the import duty system :o

Are you sure this is still the case? I thought they'd pretty well plugged all the holes in the import duty system :o

as of last year, pretty sure. I worked with a bunch of expats moving to thailand all the time. Wasn't a problem last I heard, for used, personal house hold belongings. Work permits needed though.

The definetly cut the option out of just arriving on a non-immgrant O though, and I think retiremetn visa.s