Coffee a big business in Thailand

webfact

Quite a few coffee roasteries in the south now. Saw in Chumphon, Krabi and Surat Thani last year. The fresh robusta isn't bad but is mostly used in processed instant coffees as it's typically cheaper. I was told by the owner of one of the roasteries that farmers are switching to coffee as returns are greater.

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chumphon has devoted 104,326 rai to the bean and produces as much as 11,537 tonnes of Robusta per year.

Even in Brazil they started getting away from robusta and going over to arabica about 20 years ago.

That was when Vietnam grabbed a lion's share of the world's low-grade robusta market

I've also tried many of the local Robusta coffees when in Chumpon. The final flavour depends very much on the method of production - how the beans are processed - and varies alot.

Personally I much prefer the flavours of Arabica grown here in the north, but it is a 'matter of taste'. Robusta is more bitter, partly because it contains almost twice as much caffeine (2.2 - 2.7% vs 1.2 - 1.5%) as Arabica and also half as much sugar.

• Like 2

Surprised Chumphon and Ranong are the top coffee growing regions as neither is particularly know for being mountainous, which I thought was the best terain for coffee cultivation. I've tried many local brands...Aroma, Bon Cafe, Suzuki, and others but am partial to the Duang Dee Hill Tribe brand, which is also the cheapest at 99 baht for 250g. I believe it's from the North and a box lasts me about 3 weeks.

1086723977_20210118_1310462.thumb.jpg.829bcdebd1e11dee075f5baf39e063f8.jpg

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I believe it's from the North

Yes indeed. The company collects the coffee beans from many Hill Tribe farmers in the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai regions. Quote:-

We are happy to announce the new "Cottage Industry Sized" factory we have been able to create with your support, in the Prao Province, of northern Thailand.

Prao (also Phrao) is situated on route 1001 northeast of Chiang Mai towards Chiang Rai.

• Like 2

A roasted coffee bean is no good for espresso after 14 - 15 days.

I have a machine that requires me to get all the variables correct in making an espresso, such as grind , distribution in the puck, temperature in the group head, and amount of ground coffee. 

My coffee machine came from Italy, but if I wanted a coffee grinder for that machine it would cost me double.

I have an OK grinder, but am not prepared to spend more than one thousand quid on a grinder.

Nothing automatic.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Passed through Chumpon several times on the way to Samui and Tao...Ranong never.

Chumpon is on the coast, the mountains (hills) are to the west. Son-in-law's father has a coffee farm there.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 1:17 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Surprised Chumphon and Ranong are the top coffee growing regions as neither is particularly know for being mountainous, which I thought was the best terain for coffee cultivation. I've tried many local brands...Aroma, Bon Cafe, Suzuki, and others but am partial to the Duang Dee Hill Tribe brand, which is also the cheapest at 99 baht for 250g. I believe it's from the North and a box lasts me about 3 weeks.

1086723977_20210118_1310462.thumb.jpg.829bcdebd1e11dee075f5baf39e063f8.jpg

The two most popular coffee types in the world are arabica (#1) and robusta (#2).

Robusta is grown from sea level to 600 metres. Hence Chumpon, etc.

Arabica has to be grown above 750 metres. Hence the hilly north of Thailand is suitable.

I also use the Duang Dee coffee quite often. Very good value.

• Like 2