STV + Safetywing Insurance = OK?

Hi guys, 

Getting my STV sorted and excited about things finally sorting out. It's quite cumbersome...

Safetywing have a quite decent policy all in all and reading the details it seems to cover C19 up to 250k $. 

Have anyone used it? Why I'm asking is because I'm a bit worried the coverage will be "hard to find" (or how I should put it) making my embassy decline my STV application. So, you who bought it - is the coverage part more "clear" on the final confirmation letter?

(I have another insurance policy for the 400/40k requirement). 

Hey,

Where did you get your 40k/400k Insurance from and how much was it?

Btw you need £5,000 in bank account (1 month should be ok) for proof for STV for UK

-Where are you doing to get your PCR and FTF certificates from?

For health insurance you need at least 90 days. If you want to extend visa, its not known whether you can extend health insurance in country --although I don't see why this would be a problem

-I don't understand the 'upload documents on thai visa'. Theres no upload for Bank statement which is needed, and you can only upload 1 document for accomadation - I will make 3 seperate hostel bookings

10 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi guys, 

Getting my STV sorted and excited about things finally sorting out. It's quite cumbersome...

Safetywing have a quite decent policy all in all and reading the details it seems to cover C19 up to 250k $. 

Have anyone used it? Why I'm asking is because I'm a bit worried the coverage will be "hard to find" (or how I should put it) making my embassy decline my STV application. So, you who bought it - is the coverage part more "clear" on the final confirmation letter?

Has the Thai Embassy accepted it and you have your STV approved?

I will be surprised if you do have the STV using it...

Good luck.

1 hour ago, travelerjim said:

Has the Thai Embassy accepted it and you have your STV approved?

I will be surprised if you do have the STV using it...

Good luck.

How so? 

I'll use a policy from https://longstay.tgia.org/ to cover the 400/40k requirement 

I'll use a policy from Safetywing to cover the $100k C19 requirement 

On 1/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, aldriglikvid said:

How so? 

I'll use a policy from https://longstay.tgia.org/ to cover the 400/40k requirement 

I'll use a policy from Safetywing to cover the $100k C19 requirement 

Do you really need both thai insurance and separate covid insurance? Safety wing does not cover both?

Which thai insurance is best for 90 days?

Do you need insurance to extend for another 90 days while in thailand?

Cheers

1 hour ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

Do you really need both thai insurance and separate covid insurance? Safety wing does not cover both?

Which thai insurance is best for 90 days?

Do you need insurance to extend for another 90 days while in thailand?

Cheers

You can buy AXA which costs about 11,000 baht and covers both 100k & 40/400k for 90 days, it can also be extended once in thailand. Search 'Robert jackson stv" on facebook

I really wouldn't go for safetywing, what happens if you test positive in ASQ, do you really think they will honor their commiment and pay the hospital 100,000 baht? when you paid them 2000 baht for insurance, I doubt it

Safety Wing DID not cover for COVID.

For all people on Safety Wing, underwritten by Tokio Marine:

Your insurance will NOT cover you in the event you are asymptomatic OR you have mild symptoms. According to their policy, they will cover COVID treatments where medically necessary. However, in their view, hospital quarantine is not required, and as such, will not cover for COVID if you do not have major issues.

40-50% of COVID positive people are asymptomatic. This is a massive problem. Safety Wing have also indicated this is a 'misunderstanding of the hospital'. I have no evidence of this, they have not given any.

Here's an excerpt from Tokio Marine:

From Medical Case Management (department of Tokio Marine):

“According to the purchased policy Exclusion section - No. clause 35 - Not medically necessary.”

HQCCe19j7kBzfMGnV4VqhXPY8JkzNM3qCs17WVbrGFBFnDRzcsOUKokdUx32zyLFx0W7wsh5s8Fb8d4d1Bso_1wARSJkfgEEnZemQjG-6xAI6D4XjIgB5BdtGdozchKGrL2xmPye

Furthermore, the Medical Case Manager stated, “Accordingly, the Ministry of Health Public's guidelines in Thailand for Diagnosis and treatment of Covid 19+ cases, you should be discharged after 24 hours since the admissions. (I am attaching the Guidelines of MPH of Thailand for your reference, page 2 clause 1)”

The page 2, clause 1, refers to the following (see Ref 2 below):

UNR309cOVVVlV3ws2yecGziZDzbVWc-cyOAXpgqk_zbsaNaJJ_KBygq9qyUm2UxefKWkuP9c3yE03KuiwJa92TwHAjXJd4wGn5YCKCXu_UKAulA-o-MKpFrbXEUcR4bKwuaHlwWM

This is contrasting to the medical report of the doctor which indicates hospital treatment and monitoring is required.

We sought confirmation of this denial, and received the following:

From Medical Case Management

“we want to avoid that the cost of hospitalization for quarantine purposes becomes a high bill”
“it will not be covered by insurance as its not medically necessary”

“please note the Thai guidelines advise if an asymptomatic confirmed case recommend admitting the patient in a hospital or facility arranged by the state for 10 days, in this case, you already have booked a hotel and paid in full where you can keep the quarantine without being obligated to stay in the hospital, in the other hand there's no complication in your case, they should consider be discharged since you have an alternative place to keep the quarantine, for that reason we encourage you to ask to be released.
“If that doesn't work, you can request assistance from the American Embassy.”

Please take this as the strongest warning I can give. 

They should not be allowed to provide cover and we will be contacting the Thai Embassy / Consular offices to advise of our experience. 

On 1/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, Science workshop said:

You can buy AXA which costs about 11,000 baht and covers both 100k & 40/400k for 90 days, it can also be extended once in thailand. Search 'Robert jackson stv" on facebook

I really wouldn't go for safetywing, what happens if you test positive in ASQ, do you really think they will honor their commiment and pay the hospital 100,000 baht? when you paid them 2000 baht for insurance, I doubt it

Thanks.

I checked their website and it seems to be two different insurances from them that is required?

Health insurance: Special Health Insurance Package for Thailand's Long Stay Visa and Special Tourist Visa - From AXA - Global Trusted Insurance Brand (https://www.axa.co.th/en/SmartCare-Executive-Individual-Long-Stay-Visa)

Covid Insurance: Sawasdee Thailand Inbound travel insurance (https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance)

On 1/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, regularsteven said:

Safety Wing DID not cover for COVID.

For all people on Safety Wing, underwritten by Tokio Marine:

Your insurance will NOT cover you in the event you are asymptomatic OR you have mild symptoms. According to their policy, they will cover COVID treatments where medically necessary. However, in their view, hospital quarantine is not required, and as such, will not cover for COVID if you do not have major issues.

40-50% of COVID positive people are asymptomatic. This is a massive problem. Safety Wing have also indicated this is a 'misunderstanding of the hospital'. I have no evidence of this, they have not given any.

Here's an excerpt from Tokio Marine:

From Medical Case Management (department of Tokio Marine):

“According to the purchased policy Exclusion section - No. clause 35 - Not medically necessary.”

HQCCe19j7kBzfMGnV4VqhXPY8JkzNM3qCs17WVbrGFBFnDRzcsOUKokdUx32zyLFx0W7wsh5s8Fb8d4d1Bso_1wARSJkfgEEnZemQjG-6xAI6D4XjIgB5BdtGdozchKGrL2xmPye

Furthermore, the Medical Case Manager stated, “Accordingly, the Ministry of Health Public's guidelines in Thailand for Diagnosis and treatment of Covid 19+ cases, you should be discharged after 24 hours since the admissions. (I am attaching the Guidelines of MPH of Thailand for your reference, page 2 clause 1)”

The page 2, clause 1, refers to the following (see Ref 2 below):

UNR309cOVVVlV3ws2yecGziZDzbVWc-cyOAXpgqk_zbsaNaJJ_KBygq9qyUm2UxefKWkuP9c3yE03KuiwJa92TwHAjXJd4wGn5YCKCXu_UKAulA-o-MKpFrbXEUcR4bKwuaHlwWM

This is contrasting to the medical report of the doctor which indicates hospital treatment and monitoring is required.

We sought confirmation of this denial, and received the following:

From Medical Case Management

“we want to avoid that the cost of hospitalization for quarantine purposes becomes a high bill”
“it will not be covered by insurance as its not medically necessary”

“please note the Thai guidelines advise if an asymptomatic confirmed case recommend admitting the patient in a hospital or facility arranged by the state for 10 days, in this case, you already have booked a hotel and paid in full where you can keep the quarantine without being obligated to stay in the hospital, in the other hand there's no complication in your case, they should consider be discharged since you have an alternative place to keep the quarantine, for that reason we encourage you to ask to be released.
“If that doesn't work, you can request assistance from the American Embassy.”

Please take this as the strongest warning I can give. 

They should not be allowed to provide cover and we will be contacting the Thai Embassy / Consular offices to advise of our experience.

When you are concerned that when you test 'positive' during quarantaine without you having or developing symptoms (40/50% of the cases are false positives or asymptomatic), and that SafetyWings would not cover your forced but unnecessary hospitalization, you could simply on top of that generous SafetyWings travel-insurance package (which you need for the period provided by your permission to stay on entry, which is 3 months when applying for the STV), subscribe just for 1 month to the TGIA-insurance. 

Note: When you did fly Emirates when entering on your STV, you would be covered for any covid-19 treatment (also for unnecessary asymptomatic hospitalization) for 30 days, which would cover the 'tricky' 15-days quarantaine period on entry.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, aldriglikvid said:

Hi guys, 

Yes use LMG for the 40k/400k requirment

and safety wings for the 100k$ insurance

it works well

1 minute ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

How much does the LMG cost? I can not find any price on their site.

image.png.7ddf28530eb9500de4d546cbeee7b62c.png

Plan-1 (with 200K deductible) fully meets the Thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement, and - additional benefit - does not require any (expensive) medical to subscribe to it.

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When you are concerned that when you test 'positive' during quarantaine without you having or developing symptoms (40/50% of the cases are false positives or asymptomatic), and that SafetyWings would not cover your forced but unnecessary hospitalization, you could simply on top of that generous SafetyWings travel-insurance package (which you need for the period provided by your permission to stay on entry, which is 3 months when applying for the STV), subscribe just for 1 month to the TGIA-insurance. 

Note: When you did fly Emirates when entering on your STV, you would be covered for any covid-19 treatment (also for unnecessary asymptomatic hospitalization) for 30 days, which would cover the 'tricky' 15-days quarantaine period on entry.

Peter, this is such an excellent advice to anyone who's worried that the safety wings or other cheaper insurances won't cover the unnecessary hospital quarantine. By buying safety wings insurance for the whole period of your visa (i.e. 3 months) , buy a more expensive thai company covid insurance for  just 1 month on top for your peace of mind for if anything goes wrong and a hospitalised quarantine is required. You end up saving a lot especially if it's a family of many people travelling together

30 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

Peter, this is such an excellent advice to anyone who's worried that the safety wings or other cheaper insurances won't cover the unnecessary hospital quarantine. By buying safety wings insurance for the whole period of your visa (i.e. 3 months) , buy a more expensive thai company covid insurance for  just 1 month on top for your peace of mind for if anything goes wrong and a hospitalised quarantine is required. You end up saving a lot especially if it's a family of many people travelling together

I looked up the possibility to supplement the Safetywing insurance with a 1 month insurance from https://covid19.tgia.org/ but it says - in red ???? - that coverage for "the whole stay" is needed. 

Or were you guys, perhaps, referring to a policy on the https://longstay.tgia.org/ ? 

Myself is going with Safetywing and I'm not sure I'll supplement it. Reason being I have Antibodies...

What's the worst case? 14 x ~ 3000 baht per night in hospital? (not saying, genuinely asking) 

2021-01-25 20_03_16-Itinerary Detail _ Gain Peace of Mind Get Online Coverage _ Thai General Insuran.png

16 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I looked up the possibility to supplement the Safetywing insurance with a 1 month insurance from https://covid19.tgia.org/ but it says - in red ???? - that coverage for "the whole stay" is needed. 

Or were you guys, perhaps, referring to a policy on the https://longstay.tgia.org/ ? 

Myself is going with Safetywing and I'm not sure I'll supplement it. Reason being I have Antibodies...

What's the worst case? 14 x ~ 3000 baht per night in hospital? (not saying, genuinely asking) 

2021-01-25 20_03_16-Itinerary Detail _ Gain Peace of Mind Get Online Coverage _ Thai General Insuran.png

For the whole duration of stay, you buy the cheaper safety wings cover and use it for your COE and dealing with thai authorities. The more expensive Thai insurance you just buy for 1 month and don't show anyone, just keep it to yourself just as your peace of mind, and if god forbid you get to admit to a hospital during your quarantine, you'll use this thai policy to pay for the hospital quarantine. For your information, the hospital stay bill for the quarantine is not just 3000x14, usually it's more than 100K THB from what I have learnt from other people experiences.

2 hours ago, sas_cars said:

For the whole duration of stay, you buy the cheaper safety wings cover and use it for your COE and dealing with thai authorities. The more expensive Thai insurance you just buy for 1 month and don't show anyone, just keep it to yourself just as your peace of mind, and if god forbid you get to admit to a hospital during your quarantine, you'll use this thai policy to pay for the hospital quarantine. For your information, the hospital stay bill for the quarantine is not just 3000x14, usually it's more than 100K THB from what I have learnt from other people experiences.

Yeah, I get your point but can you show me from which website "the more expensive thai insurance" is from? https://covid19.tgia.org/  or https://longstay.tgia.org/  (or something else?)? 

Because the Thai Insurance for C19 from the official https://covid19.tgia.org/ states that you explicitly need insurance for your whole stay. If worst case happens and that insurance company needs to foot the 100-200k bill (as you statet), surely they will do proper scrutinizing to see if you only was about to stay only 1 month. If they can reasonable proof otherwise perhaps coverage is nulled. Just playing devils advocate here. Not being rude, just curious. (I'm about to travel with the Safetywing setup). 

2 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Yeah, I get your point but can you show me from which website "the more expensive thai insurance" is from? https://covid19.tgia.org/  or https://longstay.tgia.org/  (or something else?)? 

Because the Thai Insurance for C19 from the official https://covid19.tgia.org/ states that you explicitly need insurance for your whole stay. If worst case happens and that insurance company needs to foot the 100-200k bill (as you statet), surely they will do proper scrutinizing to see if you only was about to stay only 1 month. If they can reasonable proof otherwise perhaps coverage is nulled. Just playing devils advocate here. Not being rude, just curious. (I'm about to travel with the Safetywing setup). 

Why not buy Luma (Tune insurance) its only 8000 baht (£100 more than safetywings) and will cover you even if you have no symptoms and get sent to hospital..........

You CANNOT buy 1 months insurance cover with STV.........your STV application will be rejected, you can't even get COE, visa exception of tourist visa with 30 days cover......

You NEED to buy 60 days cover minimum, period. To enter Thailand (Because visa exemption is 45 days)

5 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi Andrig,

You wrote > I looked up the possibility to supplement the Safetywing insurance with a 1 month insurance from https://covid19.tgia.org/ but it says - in red ???? - that coverage for "the whole stay" is needed.

That is correct if you use that TGIA insurance to meet the CoE insurance requirement.

But if you opted for the far more value - and often even cheaper - SafetyWing travel-insurance to meet the CoE requirements (as you will be doing), an additional TGIA-insurance for 1 month will cover your hospitalization costs when on entry or during quarantine you are tested 'positive' without any symptoms .  It is only to be considered when you worry about the cost of any unnecessary hospitalization because of a false positive or you being asymptomatic, which might not be reimbursed by SafetyWing.

7 hours ago, Science workshop said:

Why not buy Luma (Tune insurance) its only 8000 baht (£100 more than safetywings) and will cover you even if you have no symptoms and get sent to hospital..........

You CANNOT buy 1 months insurance cover with STV.........your STV application will be rejected, you can't even get COE, visa exception of tourist visa with 30 days cover......

You NEED to buy 60 days cover minimum, period. To enter Thailand (Because visa exemption is 45 days)

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm the one asking the details. 

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Andrig,

You wrote > I looked up the possibility to supplement the Safetywing insurance with a 1 month insurance from https://covid19.tgia.org/ but it says - in red ???? - that coverage for "the whole stay" is needed.

That is correct if you use that TGIA insurance to meet the CoE insurance requirement.

But if you opted for the far more value - and often even cheaper - SafetyWing travel-insurance to meet the CoE requirements (as you will be doing), an additional TGIA-insurance for 1 month will cover your hospitalization costs when on entry or during quarantine you are tested 'positive' without any symptoms .  It is only to be considered when you worry about the cost of any unnecessary hospitalization because of a false positive or you being asymptomatic, which might not be reimbursed by SafetyWing.

I totally understand the rationale here but what I've been trying to do, for 3 posts now, is to ask can you or someone else give an example of "an additional TGIA-insurance for 1 month". What Policy/What Website? 

4 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I totally understand the rationale here but what I've been trying to do, for 3 posts now, is to ask can you or someone else give an example of "an additional TGIA-insurance for 1 month". What Policy/What Website? 

You wrote > I looked up the possibility to supplement the Safetywing insurance with a 1 month insurance from https://covid19.tgia.org/

You need nothing more than that link, as clicking it allows to subscribe to a 1-month supplemental covid-19 only insurance, issued by TIP a TGIA-associated insurer that fully meets the requirements.  That link is mentioned on the Thai Embassy websites with the CoE requirements.

I would suggest that if you plan to have two medical insurance policies you study the full terms and conditions, especially any clauses that refer to "other insurance". It is possible that in the event that one policy covers the asymptomatic hospitalization expenses and the other does not, the one that does cover those expenses could consider itself as a 50% co-insurer along with the other insurance policy and only pay half of the otherwise covered expenses.

Of course the insurance company covering the expenses would need to be aware of the other policy, but that may happen as a result of the hospital having details of the Safetywing policy which was a condition of your visa issuance.

It is generally not advisable to have two policies covering the same risk unless carefully studied and understood.

Given the uncertainty, or in this case the certainty that Safetywings will not pay for asymptomatic hospital quarantine, a local medical policy with sufficient Covid cover, including asymptomatic hospital quarantine cover, may be a safer bet if this is a concern.

You should consider finding a competent broker to help you with this.

Archived