How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

Ruperts

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be comfortable here you need an income of at least 100K baht a month. That gives ample cushion to save money for a rainy day.

You can of course live like a rural thai person on 6K a month but that's not an appealing option for most.

And of course foreigners have come here and become monks for 30 years. Which is fine but I imagine even being a monks requires some income.

To be comfortable here you need an income of at least 100K baht a month. That gives ample cushion to save money for a rainy day.

You can of course live like a rural thai person on 6K a month but that's not an appealing option for most.

And of course foreigners have come here and become monks for 30 years. Which is fine but I imagine even being a monks requires some income.

Agreed 100k is the ideal figure, I mean some months I can get by on 20k but not going out and being prudent, but in reality an income of 100k would allow me to save between 70-60 per month easily, if you never go on holiday to Europe or the States then, 40k per month might be okay, but as the poster said, if things go wrong, like getting sick, or needing to fork out for something, then the is no margin for error on 40k per month!

Edited by Jai Dee
Font formatting codes removed for better readability

I disagree very much. I lived a very nice standard with 40k a month, and another year with 30k a month. I even saved more with 30k than 40k. I got a car with 40K. I wasn't extremely frugal, either.

It's a completely fatuous discussion. One person says he needs 100k, another only 25k. The key here is that no figure will ever be right because it depends entirely on one's needs, tastes, desires and motivators.

All you can ever do is find WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

MY personal view is that i would not want to be living here unless I had a minimum of 100k a month. To me that's a psychological barrier. Anything other than that and i feel i would be comprising myself, my family and my potential.

A home that's paid for. A car. A 100k a month. I think that's the recipe for a relaxed and meaningful life here, particularly out of Bangkok. It would be sufficient to take local holidays now and again, perhaps an annual trip overseas and - most important - enough to save monthly to ensure you add to your nest egg to take into account inflation.

say op goes to where he came from and gets some money (not a lot)and goes back to the girl he met.

say he gets girl pregnant, will girls family take him in knowing no dosh will be cumming their way. all they get is a good man for their daughter.

I'd pretty much go with the gist of recent posts above.^^ 100k is a reasonable figure to live here and put some aside for later. Income disparity among expats here seems to more pronounced than amongst local Thais I sometimes think... :o In my early forties now, and I could never think about just subsisting cheaply here or anywhere else.

If you are going to set up a company the capital (3 m or whatever) doesn't really have to be paid up in most cases that I know of, including my own (almost 10 years now). If you are thinking about that route you should get the straight dope from the folks at Sunbelt. You can get good info here, but you will get a lot of bad info too, and you will have trouble knowing the difference.

start saving as that is going ot change effective Aug of next year. 2 million in the Bank!!

There are many pages of want ads in the Bangkok Post and probably other English language newspapers. Almost without exception they are asking for people with some sort of qualification. Proficient English is high on the wish list. The OP should select what he can and will do - then get qualified. Good jobs don't grow on trees so there's hot competition for them, which can be very tough if you're not on your own turf. Qualify first, young man, while you're young enough to do it, then go chase your dream. Or be an adventurer and take the knocks.

yeah the bangkokpost is a good option, if hes a thai national with good english

It was only a general tip as he's not really forthcoming with his CV; maybe he doesn't have one. The question he should be asking himself, as any would be expat should, is - what can I do for this land in order to be accepted?

Ruperts, it's good to see that you're still with us here. Let me guess what you haven't said yet, and hope I'm wrong: no degree, no profession or trade, no real goal in life.

You're not wrong there. However, I am aware of the (alledged) importance of getting a good job to save for a pension so i can live happily ever after when my life is rapidly drawing to a close.

The problem with that is, no-one I have known in my life (parents, grandparents, neighbours, relatives etc) has ever been in a position to take early retirement, so i can only sensibly assume that the same fate awaits me. Therefore, I have just 47 years from today (assuming the retirement age has moved up to 70 by then) to conjure up the required funds for retirement.

Faced with such a monumental amount of quite probably soul-destroying work, followed by a few years of attempting to enjoy oneself whilst handicapped by the position of being way over the hill (no offence to any older folk), is it really so wrong of me to wish to enjoy my life while i am young, whilst i still have the chance?

Afterall, as someone has already hinted, we could all die tomorow.

Edited by Ruperts

Ruperts, I retired early, sold my business, paid my first wife to take a hike and enjoyed 13 years of travel, much of it in S.E.Asia. When the money ran out I went back to work in a new career as I had wisely spent some of my leisure time on studying and getting qualifications. They stood me in good stead and I'm still earning well and looking forward soon to my second retirement. Get those papers, youngster, you won't regret it. If you die tomorrow all this advice is for nothing. Better to consider what to do if you don't die tomorrow.

Ruperts, it's good to see that you're still with us here. Let me guess what you haven't said yet, and hope I'm wrong: no degree, no profession or trade, no real goal in life.

..... so i can only sensibly assume that the same fate awaits me.

I would not like to patronize you 'Ruperts', as I hardly have time to resolve my own problems in life, but I think that this is the root of your problems, a very comfortable excuse to sit in your tut...it may work for you, it may not work. My logic indicates that it may not.

I think Ruperts is going to wake up sooner than he thinks torito: He'll be about age 40 and thinking "Where did my life go? Why, oh why didn't I listen to all those TV people when I had the chance?"

Ruperts, it's only about 17 years away and heading straight for you. What have you been doing up to now to have acquired zero qualifications?

Lots of advice with most people baulking the direct question..

Offshore oil and gas industry in The Gulf of Thailand, pays well, good people, plenty of time at home.

Life's too short to sit around and wait for a pay check that will barely pay the months bills..

I researched the oil and gas industry and found while it could be very lucrative with a healthy amount of time off, it takes years to make it to a position of prominence and what I'd call good pay. Though even the bottom of that industry would be more than the best teaching job. What I gathered was in the O&G industry you have to pay your dues for many years swabbing the decks so to speak, after which you can be a foreman or something. Also you have to spend long hours on a ship with mostly other men no matter what position you are in. There are some who started such careers at 18 or 19 and now are in a great position with good pay and ample leave but if you're in mid career like me and early 30s it is a big gamble to start at the bottom again.

I'm working in the O&G industry here in South East Asia, indirectly through a service company, and I dont believe it's so easy just to walk into a job, despite of the alleged shortage of qualified workers.

Most of the guys offshore on a 4 on 4 off rotation will have been in the trade since they left school or university and will have sufficient experience before they could take on an overseas post.

I also find the O&G industry to be a bit clichey, and it's more who you know rather than what you know, and you usually need to know someone to help you get a foot in the door. My last three jobs have come through word of mouth or referrals. That seems to be the way it is.

people he is only 23. you should be telling him things like use a freakkin condom.

It's culture shock, blizz, happened to me too my first time there. Remember? Can't wait to get back, forget the bills, borrow for the ticket..............................

I can't believe all these people so attached to the concept that you have to trade all your dreams for stability and money in life. Gee what a sad place the world has become.

No wonder most of the youngsters seem in a perennial state of misery back home. Since they are 3 y.o. they are under constant parental/social pressure to be the best of the best. :D

For C.S. the guy is 23, he has the right to have fun for a few years and to feel not guilty about it. Screw the career , escape the rat race , you are still young and likely not brainwashed to death. You were lucky enough to have a decent education , which gives you an advantage that 90% of the world population can only dream about.

I say, go for the hippy community and don't look back at zombie-city , peace and love dude :o

:D

Edited by KhunMarco

A home that's paid for. A car. A 100k a month. I think that's the recipe for a relaxed and meaningful life here, particularly out of Bangkok.
I can't believe all these people so attached to the concept that you have to trade all your dreams for stability and money in life. Gee what a sad place the world has become.

Very sad indeed.

No wonder most of the youngsters seem in a perennial state of misery back home. Since they are 3 y.o. they are under constant parental/social pressure to be the best of the best. :D

For C.S. the guy is 23, he has the right to have fun for a few years and to feel not guilty about it. Screw the career , escape the rat race , you are still young and likely not brainwashed to death. You were lucky enough to have a decent education , which gives you an advantage that 90% of the world population can only dream about.

I say, go for the hippy community and don't look back at zombie-city , peace and love dude :o

thats a beautiful sentiment if you want to end up with about as much motivation and smarts as a turnip

Edited by bingobongo

thats a beautiful sentiment if you want to end up with about as much motivation and smarts as a turnip

KM. some of us have been down that road. That's why we're advising against it. We got by as hippies, living in squats, busking and thieving. It's when you wake up one day potless and start to notice who could give a sh!t - that's the real test of the free life.

Being financially satisfied is not measured in how much you have, but in how much you don't need.

Well, this is the best quote I have read recently. Very solid.

It's a variation on a quote from Mark Twain: "A man is rich in proportion to that which he can do without "

I make a good living renting condos to foreigners and business men and women in Bangkok, well actually my wife does 99% of the work I just take care of the website. I am based in the Uk and plan a total move in the next couple of years. I laugh at what some people need to have a decent standard of living there. Each to his own of course but I dont want a big house a big car pubs clubs and women. I am interested in growing palm trees of many different species and just love the variety i will be able to grow there. All i want is a small house but a big garden and willl be perfectly happy just pottering in it all day ambling down to the beach and having some nice walks growing the many types of fruit and the wife has a keen interest in this also. I grow palm trees in the Uk now (yes really) heres my garden in Birmingham http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/185964934paQKzu all able to withstand about -10c.

I will go for permanent residency after a couple of years stay and learn the language. Will keep a house in the Uk "just incase"

I think you should always have a back up plan.

You're not wrong there. However, I am aware of the (alledged) importance of getting a good job to save for a pension so i can live happily ever after when my life is rapidly drawing to a close.

The problem with that is, no-one I have known in my life (parents, grandparents, neighbours, relatives etc) has ever been in a position to take early retirement, so i can only sensibly assume that the same fate awaits me. Therefore, I have just 47 years from today (assuming the retirement age has moved up to 70 by then) to conjure up the required funds for retirement.

Faced with such a monumental amount of quite probably soul-destroying work, followed by a few years of attempting to enjoy oneself whilst handicapped by the position of being way over the hill (no offence to any older folk), is it really so wrong of me to wish to enjoy my life while i am young, whilst i still have the chance?

Afterall, as someone has already hinted, we could all die tomorow.

Ruperts, your obviously a thinker, i like that, you have also chosen to ask "older" (not necessarily wiser guys, who knows) for advice. Thaivisa will give you a balance of Thai based and opions from around the globe. Smart lad. I respect you as a younger guy with all these years ahead for both of the above. As such, I have thought long a hard about what you are contemplating. What wouild I have like to have known at the age of 23? This is purely personal. If I had my time again, there is 1, only 1 thing I would like to have know, and been able to make a commitment too at your age. That is to commit your every minute too a small business of your own, in a field of your passion, work hard as hel_l, save scrape and borrow from every source to get threw the first 2 years, and build that little business into a ripper of a cash producer. Take early retirement with the business paying for the rest of your years (35-40 and up) and do what-you-like, where-ever-you-like. If you can do this in Chiangmai, great, if you can manage any other way, excellent, just my 2 cents worth. PM, like to chat more on a personal level. Jay

I spent 5 months in Thailand and completely fell in love with the north, especially Chiang Mai (and some female, obviously).

Now i've been away for over 2 months and i'm desperate to get back there, and maybe make a few baht whilst there so i can stay for longer. I don't think i want to be there for the long haul but a couple of years would be nice.

Now i realise there are many many issues to consider, visas, thai business partners etc.

But for now all I want to know is how do you make your rice and curry?

Thanks

Life would be an absolute nightmare without setting yourself up properly. Recommend looking at all Chiangmai websites for job vacancies, do what you can to secure a job with a written guarantee of a work permit and salary agreed before you leave. Do not rely on board runs as you visa option. A Non Im-B visa required before leaving your home country with mulitple entry option. Good jobs in Chiangmai are few-and-far-between. Only go for teacher option if you are a qualified person and enjoy teaching, do not use it as a reason to set up camp. What is your area of expertise? Investment in any form of business would need a minimum of 3 million baht, this includes paid up capital, handling visa and work permits, cashflow to meet legal commitments etc and all working capital for basic 18 month running v. small business. Any less and you will probably kiss the whole lot good bye!! Cheers.

Hi, thanks.

I don't have an area of expertise yet, i'm waiting a few years till i'm 25 to decide what career i want to persue (23 now).

I'm not looking to make any money at all, literally just enough to cover living costs, 500baht a day would do. I can make that playing poker online..... but then lose it of course.

There must be something i can do to make such a small amount of money.

I met quite a few folk running small export operations while i was there, would that still require such a large capital investment? I can't see how it would.

It's a completely fatuous discussion. One person says he needs 100k, another only 25k. The key here is that no figure will ever be right because it depends entirely on one's needs, tastes, desires and motivators.

All you can ever do is find WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

MY personal view is that i would not want to be living here unless I had a minimum of 100k a month. To me that's a psychological barrier. Anything other than that and i feel i would be comprising myself, my family and my potential.

A home that's paid for. A car. A 100k a month. I think that's the recipe for a relaxed and meaningful life here, particularly out of Bangkok. It would be sufficient to take local holidays now and again, perhaps an annual trip overseas and - most important - enough to save monthly to ensure you add to your nest egg to take into account inflation.

Bendix, could not agree with you more. Things that jump up and surprise you like, a girlfriend getting pregnant, needing to fly home for a funeral, getting out of a situation with police etc(ie, driving a car, hitting someone and needing to pay 200K to the family of injured). Not eveyday events, but needing income for planning a little bit ahead. I can not understand how 25k would put people in a situation to be responsible for those events around them!