Parents set to get money back from school fees after schools ordered shut

rooster59

Parents set to get money back from school fees after schools ordered shut

news-210228512060092b8571b54.jpeg

Image: TNN

Parents who have had to become teachers at home and who have struggled with online learning for young children could get part of their school fees returned.

TNN reported that fees could be returned to parents including those at international schools.

All schools were ordered shut in Thailand by the education ministry from January 2nd. Others shut earlier as the second wave of the pandemic struck.

The secretary of the Office of the National Primary Education Commission Attaphon Treuktarong has issued a letter to all schools including international schools to urge them to give rebates.

The commission has been inundated with complaints from parents about the inappropriateness of online learning for primary and pre primary school children.

The parents have also said they have faced the burden of extra charges and responsibility brought on by the ministry's closure order.

Schools must now consider rebates on things they have charged for in fees and that could be interpreted as the fees themselves. 

Specifically mentioned in the order from Attaphon were matters like food and snacks, travel fees, activity costs, field trips and milk not delivered to home.

They should also reimburse internet and computer costs, fees for foreign language courses, cleaning charges and swimming costs and academic charges.

Thaivisa cautions that parents who expect large rebates on fees may yet be disappointed and it appears that the demands of the NEPC are not necessarily binding but are recommendations.

Representations may need to be made to individual schools concerned. 

But with specific items mentioned and the term "academic charges" mentioned it appears that parents may have a case for some of their school fees to be returned.

Source: TNN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-23

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Silly... education is not only done at school but also at home... Parents who become teachers???  I think it is the duty of parents to guide and teach their children all the time... so need to refund school fees... It is just bad luck for the parents. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose

Really? There is a big difference from helping with homework and guiding your children than doing the job of teacher. First there is routine, allocation of time because you basically become a teaching assistant (in the UK they are paid £30k plus). It is ok helping out in a crisis for a few days or a week but doing it for months is wrong on so many levels. I am a believer in if you work you get paid for it. I see this as you boss telling you, we are struggling so you will have to work for free while he takes delivery of his new luxury car and jets off for his holidays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

I'm pretty sure fees are not refundable under any circumstances. Just look at the terms and conditions. 

This is my sons story

Having tests today (1/2 way through yr) for the first yr in High School

Not the Onet since that would require him to go to another facility (he's in Korat), with people worried about CV19

Now the school says have to pay 50,000 for first term in High school (6 mths in adv ), you have to be kidding

So said to wife don't pay (as they only want to clarify numbers )

Along time 5-6 mths that anything could change (like maybe move another Province)

SO would we be able to get a refund since circumstances changed he cannot attend that school ?

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The secretary of the Office of the National Primary Education Commission Attaphon Treuktarong has issued a letter to all schools including international schools to urge them to give rebates.

Good luck with that one.

• Like 1

So, let me see if I have this right…

The government made an order to schools that they must close and conduct education on-line.

But they did not make any order relating to school fees already paid.

Sounds like the mark of a pretty good government - yes?

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Like 1

Question is just who pays the damage resulting from covid. Should it be the schools, or the parents or maybe the government. 

IMHO the damage should be spread, cant put full blame at any side.

But schools that still charge fees for trips and cleaning and food should refund those right away as these are variable cost not fixed ones like teacher salaries.

• Like 2