seeking assistance with a few definitions

BananaBandit

What is "political correctness" in Thai?

Google translates as:    ความถูกต้องทางการเมือง

I suspect this translation is a bit too literal, and rather different from what I seek. 

I suppose an additional question is:   Does "political correctness" even translate at all to this language?

....Not that I'm suggesting there's a correlation with political correctness, but other words I seek to translate are "sociopath" and "sociopathy"

Google translates as:                นักสังคมวิทยา

I'm almost certain that ain't what I'm looking for. 

I'm aware of the term         โรคจิต         but I feel like that's too general, as I believe it could apply to several different mental pathologies. 

I'm also aware of the term    วิกลจริต       which is probably the closest I can come on my own to a translation. But it seems like  วิกลจริต  tends to refer to someone  (likely with organic brain damage, as opposed to a personality disorder)  who is acting in a bizarrely aggressive manner (  บ้าๆ บอๆ  ).

I would assume a Thai psychiatrist/psychologist would have some sort of specific term for this issue and those who possess it. 

Edited by BananaBandit

19 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I'm aware of the term         โรคจิต         but I feel like that's too general, as I believe it could apply to several different mental pathologies. 

Yes, that's the general term for mental illness

When looking up specific terms for illnesses in my experience the best way is to look up the ICD-10 code for the illness that you want to know, and then just google something like "ICD-10 [code of the illness] ไทย", this usually gives some results with the answer if there is a Thai name for it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, that's the general term for mental illness

When looking up specific terms for illnesses in my experience the best way is to look up the ICD-10 code for the illness that you want to know, and then just google something like "ICD-10 [code of the illness] ไทย", this usually gives some results with the answer if there is a Thai name for it.

good tip, my man.  expands the horizon for me จริงๆ

On 1/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, BananaBandit said:

What is "political correctness" in Thai?

Google translates as:    ความถูกต้องทางการเมือง

I suspect this translation is a bit too literal, and rather different from what I seek. 

Google is right.  There's even a Wikipedia page about it:  https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ความถูกต้องทางการเมือง

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:28 AM, BananaBandit said:

....Not that I'm suggesting there's a correlation with political correctness, but other words I seek to translate are "sociopath" and "sociopathy"

Google translates as:                นักสังคมวิทยา

I'm almost certain that ain't what I'm looking for. 

Sociopath : นัก means "occupied with". สังคมวิทยา means  theoretical knowledge of society. In order to use that word for sociology สังคม has to be taken to mean laws of social interaction, to wit Sociologist  .      When  it comes to -pathy. That indicates to suffer from, so sociopath means suffering from society. Taking my interpretation of society, if a person can't understand or conform to the rules he is suffering. But, this is all about English words and their meaning, very little Thai is learnt from trying to convey English concepts in the Thai language. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 2:49 AM, tgeezer said:

When  it comes to -pathy. That indicates to suffer from, so sociopath means suffering from society.

I'm more inclined to the view that society is forced to suffer them.

Still, I rather like the way you break apart the word.     

Thanks to a previous tip from one of our subforum colleagues, I have since grown acquainted with the Thai method of describing personality disorders. You start with

ความผิดปกติทางบุคกลิภาพ

And, upon that foundation,  you proceed to according to the particular disorder. In the case of sociopathy:    

ต่อต้านสังคม

Edited by BananaBandit
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:13 AM, BananaBandit said:

You start with

ความผิดปกติทางบุคกลิภาพ

I have just noticed that I misspelled the word for personality.

Let me try again:

ความผิดปกติทางบุคลิกภาพ

...That is how one writes "personality disorder" (hopefully by now my spelling is no longer disordered). 

I have just discovered that myself. I type into the RID and the legend ไม่พบคำศัพท์ที่ต้องการค้นหา appear as soon as the combination is recognised as nonexistent.  I have looked up , นิสัย จำเพาะคน เจาะจง ที่พึ่ง ที่พักพิง เผอิญ เฉพาะ ที่อาศัย ประพฤติ this morning, one word leads to another. 

ปุคลิกภาพ was a very popular word used by bar hoppers in my day to describe girls.  It has plenty of "meat" (long enough) to make it memorable. I understood it to mean personality also so used to add ดี or ไม่ดี . 
I find that descriptions are very much more satisfying than interpretations of English. ความผิตปกติทางบุคลิกภาพ describes personality disorder.  If a diagnosis has been made then I would use it but to explain why someone is behaving antisocially for example, I would just say เขาเป็นคนแปลก and follow up if asked.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, tgeezer said:

ปุคลิกภาพ was a very popular word used by bar hoppers in my day to describe girls.

I'd say your generation of bar hoppers was a bit more erudite. Of course, I'm a sulking cheapskate who detests loud noise, so I haven't yet made it to a bar. Perhaps I underestimate the current generation. 

On 2/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, tgeezer said:

ความผิตปกติทางบุคลิกภาพ describes personality disorder.  If a diagnosis has been made then I would use it but to explain why someone is behaving antisocially for example, I would just say เขาเป็นคนแปลก and follow up if asked.  

If someone gives me a bad feeling, I might describe that person as ลำบาก or น่ารำคาญ

To my knowledge แปลก means “strange.” It might work just fine for your purposes. But in my case, I'm such a goofy person (in any culture), that I would look ไร้สาระ tagging another human being with the แปลก label.

It is true that, with most acquaintances, my utterance of ความผิดปกติทางบุคลิกภาพฯ might seem rather pedantic. 

However, at my local 7-11, I recently ventured to diagnose a semi-convincing ladyboy employee with 

ความผิดปกติทางบุคลิกภาพประเภทอารมณ์เกินควร

I'm not sure how well this conforms to the current Thai DSM-5 diagnostic criteria index,  but I'm almost certain my diagnosis was apt.  

I don't yet hear the language well enough to field followup questions responsibly. So I just diagnose, then exit.