Help on the way for girl forced to study in field near Hua Hin

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

there is only solar power at home meaning the internet is unreliable. 

So if you only have solar power, your phone internet signal won't work but if you go into a field (without solar power) its all fine.

Isn't science wonderful?....

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, mrfill said:

So if you only have solar power, your phone internet signal won't work but if you go into a field (without solar power) its all fine.

In reality, mobile phone base stations have their antennas pointing usually at 0, 120 and 240 degrees. Maximum signal is straight down the centreline and half power at 30 degrees either side of that. A 60 degrees off the centreline the power drops to about 25% and past that you may get a signal.

Just to complicate things every doubling of the frequency cuts the power by 50%.

With 1G or analogue base stations could be 20 or more km apart. 3G doubled the frequency and halved the range which means for the same coverage you need twice as many base stations  and up round 5G you need even more.

Mobile operators are not charities and they need many users to make a profit and they won't put a site in for only a few customers because of the cost and ROI.

I live 700 metres from the 3BB node in the village and a fibre optic link is only guaranteed for 500 metres so I can't get an upgrade to a full fibre optic link.

I think that the young lady would need a fibre optic node in her village and a hell of a big battery back up to keep it running 24/7.

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

she's tapping away at a 12" ipad pro with a 10K baht case on it - i'm sure they can come up with a solution - those ipads aren't cheap

I don't suppose that she leaves her stuff behind when she goes to school where there is most likely much better coverage.

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

Thinking it is more about the internet signal. Yes love science.

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

You missed the emoticon to highlight the deliberate stupidity and sarcasm behind your comment... :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1