Buddhist Monk Visa

Hi all,

I’d like to come to Thailand to ordain as a Buddhist monk for at least 2-3 years if not longer. Is this even possible right now?

I know farangs who were in Thailand before Covid who, I believe, have been doing 90 immigration runs to the local immigration office on a Tourist Visa, though the monasteries they stay at often have good connections with people in the immigration department and there may be some different arrangement that I don't know about.

1. Is this possible for someone in my situation or have things changed?

2. If not, as they are not currently issuing religous visas (due to covid) could I apply for an ED visa with a letter from a monastery and extend it indefinitely?

Any other options or advice is welcome.

Thanks alot

1. With the correct supporting documents you can apply for a single entry non-r visa now and apply for a certificate of entry. And then apply for a extension of stay during the 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Info can be found here on the Embassy in Washington DC website: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

2. You cannot get a non-ed visa for religious studies.

20 minutes ago, aggacitto92 said:

I was recently informed that no embassy will currently give out r-visas but I will look into it nonetheless. And just to verify, there is no limit to the number of times you can get a 90 day extension on the non-r visa?

I'm not trying to be negative. There was a thread asking similar questions perhaps month or so back. I don't have the link, might look later.

Anyway there was a poster that knew all the ins and outs and basically pointed out that it was an arduous process to gain support. Hopefully someone will be along that can outline the whole process.

50 minutes ago, aggacitto92 said:

I was recently informed that no embassy will currently give out r-visas but I will look into it nonetheless. And just to verify, there is no limit to the number of times you can get a 90 day extension on the non-r visa?

Previously it was on the list of countries that could not get a certificate of entry and the embassies could not issue them. It now shows them allowed but no detail yet. "For Work permit holders – Religious / Missionary works (R) and their spouses or children (O) 

There are no 90 day extensions. You could get a one year extension with the correct supporting documents.

Form the immigration order for extensions of stay.

2.13 In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Anyway there was a poster that knew all the ins and outs and basically pointed out that it was an arduous process to gain support. Hopefully someone will be along that can outline the whole process.

That was a topic about being able to get one year extensions for more than 5 years or so.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a one year extension with the correct supporting documents.

Form the immigration order for extensions of stay.

2.13 In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

Just to clarify, you mean each permission to extend? 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That was a topic about being able to get one year extensions for more than 5 years or so.

And how many times can you get a one year extension?

I'm trying to get in touch with the US embassy to clarify as a travel agent explicitly told me no embassies are issuing r-visas to monks right now.

9 hours ago, aggacitto92 said:

Update: I just spoke with the DC Embassy and was told that they are just now starting to re-issue R-visas though are still awaiting official information from Thailand.

It is shown on their online visa application now. https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/

image.png.97eacd34fe48b4ad56c98761a42032ea.png

Of course though you will have to have supporting documents from a temple and etc to do the application.

But what is laking on their site is the required documents for the application.

2 hours ago, aggacitto92 said:

I am a monk. I am planning on coming on a Tourist Visa and switching over to an r-visa when I'm in Thailand which I can then presumably extend multiple times.

The requirements to change your visa status to a non-r is here.

https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/12.pdf

Dear Agacitto,
in your first post, you mention that:
'I’d like to come to Thailand to ordain as a Buddhist monk ',
later on you mention that you are ordained already...
May i ask,
-in what lineage you have ordained (i.e. Mahayana, Theravada, Tibetian or other) and
-what kind of ordination you have received (pabbajja or upasampada) and
-when you have ordained.
Do you have a monk ID Card?
Depending on this information, i will be able to outline the process to apply for a Non-Immigrant Type R visa to you.
In the meantime, the following post may be interesting to you:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1192239-permanent-residency-or-citizenship-for-foreign-monastics-in-thailand

@ubonjoe:
it is technically correct, that there is no limit to the 1year extensions by IMMIGRATION.
As long as one has the necessary letter of recommendation by the Department of Religious Affairs, Immigration will be happy to give a 1year extension.
There is, however, a limit set by the Department of Religious Affairs:
Currently, it is:
5 years of visa for monks and novices from buddhist countries (4 extensions).
and
10 years of visa for monks and novices from non-buddhist countries (9 extensions).
There are exceptions of course.

Archived