Strange calls from car insurance company

KurtCB

I wonder if anyone here also had this experience:

About 3 weeks ago I received a call. I speak Thai but not 100% fluent. What I understood is that my current car insurance is calling me aking if I want to continue the insurance. My current policy ends in 2 months with no automatic renewal.
The lady on the phone sounded very professional. She said hello Mr Kurt XX, calling regarding your car insurance for your car Honda XX, license plate XX, registered in XX.
Knowing all my details I didn't even doubt for a second that this was not my insurance. However, I never ever do Deals on the phone so I told her I will gladly come to see here in the Office like last year and ask her kindly to prepare the details.
From that moment on the situation became weird. She clearly did not want me to come to the office but I did not understand what she said exactly as my Thai is not good enough. She coudn't speak english at all.
I gave here the number of my girlfriend and and told here to call her.

A few days later she called my girlfriend. I already knew that something is not right so I prepared my girlfriend with some questions. First I wanted to know if this is my car insurance company? No clear answer, after digging deeper we knew she was not calling from my current car insurance but she tried to act like that very hard.
Thing is, she didn't knew the name of my car insurer. She then claimed several times that she is calling from "big Honda company in Bangkok".

We told her that we are not interested and asked her to not call again. Since then she called several times, always my girlfriend, never me. But asked for me on my girldfriends phone. Well, not so professional anymore. 
After the annoying calls didn't stop we changed our language to make them understand to not call again. We also asked where they got my date from, answer: "big Honda company in Bangkok".

I called my car dealer in Bangkok and told him about this. He said he has no idea who that was but for sure it was not my insurer and it was not Honda. 

Please note that this was not one of those car insurance scam calls common in Thailand. Those are "cold calls" and they usually don't have much information about you.
But in this calls they knew everything. Name, address, license plate and phone number. But they did not know the name of my actual insurer.

Another note: Neither Honda nor my car insurer know the adress where I registered my car. This is because I moved between the date when I ordered the car including insurance and the date when I registered the car. (I registered the car by myself, Honda and the insurer do not even know in which province I finally registered my car - but the caller knew!)

Where did the caller get my data from? Data leak at the Department of Land Transport? Anyone with a similar experience? 

I've started to receive a few calls from various people and as I understand only a few Thai words they give up on me after a minute or so. To be fair they are usually quite pleasant and not afraid to ask for your business in this country. 

Welcome to the land of no Data Protection.......ever thought whose lifting your mobile number from the Covid-19 tracing lists at the entrance doors to the malls? 

I have known this annual insurance renewal ring-around for the best part of 11 years already. I will agree that they can be very deceptive and if one isn't aware that a database of insured drivers in Thailand is apparently available to everyone and their dog, one could give a verbal approval and find yourself with a whole different carrier. I am not sure if they get the contact information from dealerships or what but you can complain to the insurance ombudsman if you feel you have been duped by such behavior.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I always say. "I do not accept sales calls, even from organizations I do business with". Please mail me something. If they ask for any contact details I refuse.

Hardly can answer a phone call in US anymore 95 percent of it is robotic scams.

Edited by Captain Monday

On 1/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, DaLa said:

Welcome to the land of no Data Protection.......ever thought whose lifting your mobile number from the Covid-19 tracing lists at the entrance doors to the malls? 

If they weren't doing it before they'll sure start now.        ????????

25 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

This is what I always say. "I do not accept sales calls, even from organizations I do business with". Please mail me something. If they ask for any contact details I refuse.

Hardly can answer a phone call in US anymore 95 percent of it is robotic scams.

Don’t you have to accept the call to say that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Don’t you have to accept the call to say that?

That is not precisely what I mean. Usually I would not answer. But if my Bank or insurance agent called it might be something time critical or important. I let them know that to make a voice call to sell me something is too intrusive and I will not tolerate it.

11 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

That is not precisely what I mean. Usually I would not answer. But if my Bank or insurance agent called it might be something time critical or important. I let them know that to make a voice call to sell me something is too intrusive and I will not tolerate it.

Yeah, it was a joke...

An extended warranty company got my US number from a recall list and they call at 3-5:00AM every other month. I block the number each time, but the just use a new number each time...