Efforts to Reduce Field Burning, Smog

snoop1130

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I think your last sentence is the cruncher. Just as the gov. won't help farmers pay for crop rotation alternatives (to burning) so I think probably they would not give subsidies to the cane plants either. Thus the burning will continue.

The government will not pay for any alternative to cane ,that is were most of the gashol fuel in the country comes from ,molasses ,a by -product of sugar cane ,is fermented down in to ethanol alcohol  for gashol.

With the state of the economy if the government can find a way of cutting down on crud oil imports it will.

And this year cane prices are good some farmers are receiving 1000 baht /ton ,well up from last year,so next year they could well be more cane grown 

The reason cane is burnt is to make the job easier for the cutters ,they make more money cutting bunt cane than un- burnt cane ,and some cutters will not cut un-burnt cane ,or they want more  money for cutting un-burt cane .

If you have seen the bundles of cane in a field all tied up that is 1-1,50 baht  for a cutter ,they are 10 stalks of cane in a bundle ,a good cutter can cut 205-300 bundles a day .

And with cutters getting more difficult to find each year farmers will still burn cane just the get the cutters.

For a machine to cut cane and haul the cane to the mill is 350-370 baht/ton . 

Give it a few more yeras and all cane will be cut by machine ,in my area cane machine cuting has gone up ,by 50% over the past 2-3 years 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:25 PM, kickstart said:

I do  know where you are  Lopburi you are ,but where I am burning is down by 80% at least ,one field nearby  was burnt  last week ,two days ago come home after dark I could see in the distance a red glow .

Most cane is now cut by machine ,no black snow now for a year. 

Yes, I agree, there is a lot less burning this year.  It should be none.  The plan is for it to be even less next year.