A Dream Within a Dream- Audi's Flagship R 8 seen in Isaan for only 18,999,000 baht

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A friend of mine was unimpressed when we saw one in the car park of our golf club. He said " It looks like a cockroach - low and scuttling".

what I see when I spy one of these, is a very nice  4 bedroom house, fully fitted out and furnished, with a large pool, sitting in one Rai of landscaped garden. To spend that kind of money on a car is insane, unless you are so filthy rich that money is meaningless to you.  Even then, drawing such attention to yourself in this country is never a good thing regardless of who you are.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, teacherclaire said:

That's not a car for Thailand, such cars want a German Autobahn without limits. 300 km/h + and the tunnel view must be awesome.

A long time ago I drove often, mostly as passenger, in a BMW 850 CSI on the Autobahn. As far as I remember the unrestricted version of that car had a top speed of about 280 km/h. No tunnel view, you get used to it. ???? 

AF-6095-1_2224x1482px.jpg

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

what I see when I spy one of these, is a very nice  4 bedroom house, fully fitted out and furnished, with a large pool, sitting in one Rai of landscaped garden. To spend that kind of money on a car is insane, unless you are so filthy rich that money is meaningless to you.  Even then, drawing such attention to yourself in this country is never a good thing regardless of who you are.  

You're quite right, I'm quite comfortable in the anonymity of a somewhat elderly Toyota Vios. If I owned one of those, I'd want a Glock in the glovebox.

I'm thinking this would be very likely to happen here, combination of wealth with lack of driving skill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, teacherclaire said:

such cars want a German Autobahn without limits. 300 km/h +

Well,

image.png.48402a83d5b3647285858f5992e1bb5b.png

'The wreck during the recovery. The accident victims were so wedged in the wreck that first aid was no longer possible.'

this was a BMW - Jan 25,  2021  17:15

***************************************

• Sad 2

On 1/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, transam said:

I'll have to count up my Green Shield Stamps......:wub:

GS.jpg.5632e0d89a4487b15b861c741a32ff11.jpg

I will up you a Blue Chip Stamp book or two, orders been made from the book, along with a new barbeque

Image result for blue chip stampsImage result for Blue Chip Stamps Catalog

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

A quick R8 twin turbo.  Sub-8 second 1/4 mile time.  Even does wheelies.

The car runs Underground Racing's X Version tune. The company claims that it makes 1,200 horsepower (895 kilowatts) at the wheels when running on 93-octane fuel. On race gas, the output is somewhere between 2,200 and 3,000 hp (1,641 and 2,237 kW) at the wheels.

https://www.motor1.com/news/448958/audi-r8-twin-turbo-run/

Edited by Damrongsak

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You're quite right, I'm quite comfortable in the anonymity of a somewhat elderly Toyota Vios. If I owned one of those, I'd want a Glock in the glovebox.

I'm thinking this would be very likely to happen here, combination of wealth with lack of driving skill.

Great driving skills. 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

combination of wealth with lack of driving skill.

That wasn't lack of driving skill.

It was an insurance job.

One that the video you posted proved.

It cost the driver quite a lot in the end. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/49103/bugatti-veyron-lake-crash-was-attempted-insurance-fraud-faces-20-years-in-prison/

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

That wasn't lack of driving skill.

It was an insurance job.

One that the video you posted proved.

It cost the driver quite a lot in the end. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/49103/bugatti-veyron-lake-crash-was-attempted-insurance-fraud-faces-20-years-in-prison/

You may be right, AFAIK the trial is still proceeding.

IMO there's enough incidents in Thailand combining an expensive vehicle with some collision to claim driving skills are lacking here. Remember Red Bull?

9 hours ago, Yom said:

... and you survived, OneMoreFarang, not taken for granted.

There are 'better' places in Germany:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring

Yes, I survived, like the millions of other people who drive all the time fast and very fast on the Autobahn.

Remember, the Autobahn has also long stretches of straight ahead. The skill level to drive a very good car on a very good street straight ahead is not very high. Almost all (like > 99.9%) drivers on the Autobahn don't even think about driving around corners at the limit of their cars - because that is scary.

On the Nürburgring that situation is very different. It has many corners and lots of elevation changes. And many people try to drive fast also around the corners. And many crash.

Here is how to do it right:

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, Bob12345 said:

A classmate of mine had one of those, the first one in Thailand with matt paint if i remember correctly.

He didn't use it often, just as his other supercars, as going through Bangkok was quite expensive (they cost a lot in gasoline standing in a traffic jam).

Nobody cares about the gasoline prices. They don't drive their supercars often because it's stressful driving nice cars in BKK. Contrary to what ThaiVisa people always purport, supercars are pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order in traffic, they yield to everyone but bicycles and pedestrians. Every vehicle on the road will cut you off, drive too close to you forcing you to move over and if you don't move over, they just hit you and you spend the next 2 hours in the hot sun with a moron who refuses to believe they've caused a million baht of damages with a low speed side swipe then tries to wipe off your supercar with saliva and a scratchy cloth thinking that'll make it as good as new.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, teacherclaire said:

May I remind you that it wasn't mine? That's not a car for Thailand, such cars want a German Autobahn without limits. 300 km/h + and the tunnel view must be awesome. 

Owning a sports car in Thailand can be fun once you get out of Bangkok. Some really great drives in the North and also around the general Phuket area. Also some race tracks like Bira and Kaeng Krachan have open track days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crash999 said:

Owning a sports car in Thailand can be fun once you get out of Bangkok. Some really great drives in the North and also around the general Phuket area. Also some race tracks like Bira and Kaeng Krachan have open track days.

Can you please recommend the areas in the north that you are talking about?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 9:58 PM, billd766 said:

The cost in Thailand for the Audi R8 is 18,999,000 thb.

The price in the EU for the same car is 234,720 Euros, or in Thai Baht 642,875 at an exchange rate of 27,5344.

More than 3 times the price, but that includes import taxes plus VAT on the total bill.

It does NOT include the contents of any brown envelopes used.

Exchange rate of 27,XXX for 1 EURO???

Lovely car - but that's a lot of money to the government. 18 million is out of my price range - but then if you made a million dollars a day, it wouldn't. So I can see how successful people buy them. 'Expensive' is a relative term.

I recently brought a car - the model I got was 4.2M, the next model up - 10.8M. Most of that tax.

I wouldn't mind if they did anything good with the taxes.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, Pilotman said:

I don't think you need to be filthy rich.

Say you have a medium sized business with low costs and you are personally pulling in $3m a year.

That's 7.5 million THB a month.

So 3 months earnings.

That isn't filthy rich - it is successful but it's not "can stop tomorrow" money.

7 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I don't think you need to be filthy rich.

Say you have a medium sized business with low costs and you are personally pulling in $3m a year.

That's 7.5 million THB a month.

So 3 months earnings.

That isn't filthy rich - it is successful but it's not "can stop tomorrow" money.

I actually deleted my first comment.  The numbers you quote say 'rich' to me, as they would to most people.   Perhaps you are just one of those gilded individuals.  

Edited by Pilotman

On 2/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, Pilotman said:

I actually deleted my first comment.  The numbers you quote say 'rich' to me, as they would to most people.   Perhaps you are just one of those gilded individuals.  

I own a small/medium sized business.

I still have to turn up every day and do my thing, I cannot retire. 

I would baulk at spending 19 million on a car as it represents too high of a percentage of my annual income. 

I can certainly see that I could grow the business to the point I'd be comfortable with it, while still having to turn up every day. 

Rich is not having to go to work IMO. 

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1