What is it with Jomtiem immigration?

A good friend went yesterday 28th Jan to extend tourist visa again at Jomtien. Arrived 10am and was given appointment to come vack at 1pm. Went back at 1pm handed in form, passport and money and was told to "wait!" After two hours waiting was told "come back at 10am tomorrow". Apparently there were angry scenes from many older farangs annoyed at their treatment (I was not there so did not witness). Back at 09:45am today the queue this morning and was snaking back and forth. Friend had the receipt so was given passport back in 5 minutes no queueing. The passport stamped with "under consideration" until 15th February. Why don't they just give the full 60 days extension in one visit rather than constantly returning? Anyone know the reason please?

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

A good friend went yesterday 28th Jan to extend tourist visa again at Jomtien. Arrived 10am and was given appointment to come vack at 1pm. Went back at 1pm handed in form, passport and money and was told to "wait!" After two hours waiting was told "come back at 10am tomorrow". Apparently there were angry scenes from many older farangs annoyed at their treatment (I was not there so did not witness). Back at 09:45am today the queue this morning and was snaking back and forth. Friend had the receipt so was given passport back in 5 minutes no queueing. The passport stamped with "under consideration" until 15th February. Why don't they just give the full 60 days extension in one visit rather than constantly returning? Anyone know the reason please?

Highly annoying I agree.  At least 3 visits for me for one extension.  Very time consuming. 

27 minutes ago, Bell1234 said:

I was there for covid extension yesterday and it was quiet.. Arrived 10.45am and was done by 11.30am. Strange that your friend got turned away as it was not that busy.

You are right it wasn't busy yesterday which is why the frustration. Why didn't they deal with it there and then knowing it would be busy today. My friend is not a farang but Asian so maybe they have different policy. I don't know. 

I wondered what was going on. I walked past Jomtien (Chonburi) Immigration today at 10:45, and it was a madhouse. Probably 100+ people in the queue- maybe more- outside. See photo attached. As I will go for an annual extension in 2-3 weeks, I was worried. 

Jomtien Immigration 1045 29-1-21.jpg

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's pathetic, you're treated in this way because they don't care what you think.

Well, to be fair, most countries don't much care what you think unless you have a vote (or else are very rich or influential).

That's why dear old HMG back in Blighty is able to screw us 'umble British pensioners living in Thailand out of our annual indexation increase, very few of us have a say in matters back there any more. That's why they can get away with denying us access to the NHS, even though many of us have to pay full UK tax on our pensions, after having paid tax and NI on our earnings all our working lives. But when you look around, they're probably not much worse or much better than most other places.

18 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

I wondered what was going on. I walked past Jomtien (Chonburi) Immigration today at 10:45, and it was a madhouse. Probably 100+ people in the queue- maybe more- outside. See photo attached. As I will go for an annual extension in 2-3 weeks, I was worried. 

Jomtien Immigration 1045 29-1-21.jpg

I would never go on a Monday or Friday , I went Wednesday no

problem 

1 minute ago, Ireland32 said:

I would never go on a Monday or Friday , I went Wednesday no

problem 

Certainly don't go on 15th February either as that appears to be the date those with "under consideration" extension renewals must return again. 

25 minutes ago, sghanchey said:

I wondered what was going on. I walked past Jomtien (Chonburi) Immigration today at 10:45, and it was a madhouse. Probably 100+ people in the queue- maybe more- outside.

I think most people were there due to this being the original last day to apply for 60 day covid 19 extension until the new order was issued yesterday allowing them to be done until March 30th.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You are right it wasn't busy yesterday which is why the frustration. Why didn't they deal with it there and then knowing it would be busy today. My friend is not a farang but Asian so maybe they have different policy. I don't know. 

Maybe he was Chinese (China)   I'm Chinese American never have a problem always treated with the greatest respect as if I was actually royalty?  I was there Jan 20th, first one there for my extension boy came out said " papa sit chair you want water "  called my number 8:35 I was out the door at 8:40.????

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

No difference in my five years experience of Jomtien immigration. I'm Asian.

You can only reflect on one's personal experiences.  In the 15 years of dealing with Jomtien Immigration whilst I have found them unchatty they have always been quietly respectful and efficient.  The key is in the preparation.

Take the time to get everything correctly prepared, in the right order and they seem to appreciate the effort you made. Annual retirement extension based on cash in the bank - In and out in 20 minutes ! Done.

Is this also the case for ret.extensions as on regular base year by year ? Or only for those Covid extensions ..., i mean " queing and come back .." appointments as in title no mentioning about the targetted ones 

Thx.

It's a small and crowded office. That plus the financial incentives ensures that they much prefer "agent business" over serving individual applicants.

Personally, I don't have any complaints. Whenever I've dealt with them, I got what I came for.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think most people were there due to this being the original last day to apply for 60 day covid 19 extension until the new order was issued yesterday allowing them to be done until March 30th.

Any official source for this that I can check?

19 hours ago, Guderian said:

Well, to be fair, most countries don't much care what you think unless you have a vote (or else are very rich or influential).

That's why dear old HMG back in Blighty is able to screw us 'umble British pensioners living in Thailand out of our annual indexation increase, very few of us have a say in matters back there any more. That's why they can get away with denying us access to the NHS, even though many of us have to pay full UK tax on our pensions, after having paid tax and NI on our earnings all our working lives. But when you look around, they're probably not much worse or much better than most other places.

very fair reply. instead of bitching how unfair Thailand can be to its farangs, (which i think is highly exaggerated imo) its more deeply unfair how our own countries (i am European but not the UK) mistreats its own citizens who chose to live in another country. 

16 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Why should they care what you think? Does immigration in your home country care what those who need their services think? 

Yes, they do, in fact they care a little too much for my liking - the polar opposite of what happens here

On 1/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, soi3eddie said:

Apparently there were angry scenes from many older farangs annoyed at their treatment 

Really, what treatment was that?

Were they demeaned, abused, or cursed?

Some I guess expect perfect service in 5 minutes.

Now, they are following directives and protocols based on the current situation.  Always been matter of fact from my experience, which is fine.  Some seem to expect kiss up bow down I am Falang service sorry, not going to happen.

I personally find Jomtien one of the better offices especially with the numbers they deal with never had any issues with their "treatment".

On 1/29/2021 at 3:13 AM, soi3eddie said:

A good friend went yesterday 28th Jan to extend tourist visa again at Jomtien. Arrived 10am and was given appointment to come vack at 1pm. Went back at 1pm handed in form, passport and money and was told to "wait!" After two hours waiting was told "come back at 10am tomorrow". Apparently there were angry scenes from many older farangs annoyed at their treatment (I was not there so did not witness). 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Really, what treatment was that?

Were they demeaned, abused, or cursed?

Some I guess expect perfect service in 5 minutes.

Now, they are following directives and protocols based on the current situation.  Always been matter of fact from my experience, which is fine.  Some seem to expect kiss up bow down I am Falang service sorry, not going to happen.

I personally find Jomtien one of the better offices especially with the numbers they deal with never had any issues with their "treatment".

As per my original post they were all told to wait for 2 hours unnecessarily expecting to get passports back. They were then told "come back tomorrow" with no reason given. Apparently some weren't at all happy about it and voiced their complaints. Some of those waiting were very aged and had to stand all that time due to lack of seating.

How would you feel? Fair play to you if you think that treatment like that by immigration is acceptable. I'd say it wasn't acceptable or reasonable although I would not condone any abusive behaviour. I've waited patiently a great many hours at Bangkok immigration (much busier than Jomtien) over the last few years and always been treated reasonably.

Archived