The Walking St. Tree

TaaSaparot

That's going to bring bad luck raining down on Walking Street and City Hall.

Get ready for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th waves of the virus, each worse than the last.

Watch as City Hall disappears into a giant sink hole caused by its inadequate drainage works.

Somebody better get the monks chanting down there, sharpish like.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, timendres said:

So many times I have seen trees here cut down to almost nothing, and within months they are back like they've been reborn.

I agree. I'm (almost) amazed at how quickly some grow back. 

I suspect the Buddha Tree is just being trimmed so that it won't interfere with the upcoming project to get rid of the wires on Walking Street and redo the drainage system (again).

Assuming the same project, which was supposed to have started almost a year ago, doesn't get postponed (again) when they (again) find some more of those "ancient" pipes that don't appear to have any purpose. (As the pipes are dry so they can't possible be for drainage, right ? Just because it hasn't rained in weeks is no reason for drain pipes, in an area that hasn't been "open" for months, to be dry so they must be useless, right ?).

It has taken them almost a year to figure out who owned those "ancient" pipes and what to do with them, so that they could restart the project that they'd already had ready to go a year ago.

At this rate, they'll have to trim that Buddha Tree a few more times before they are through.

(Those "ancient pipes" were part of the "upgraded" drainage system the city installed back in 1998. I remember the middle of Walking Street being dug up and everyone having to walk on the narrow "sidewalks" on each side which was difficult with all the people going each way, not to mention all the girls with open umbrellas as it was in the middle of the rainy season.)

The upgrade included those nice paving bricks that have stood the test of time quite well (compared to other roadworks done in/around the city, like Jomtien #2 road).

The pics below are from a trip in 2000. I was having a hamburger at a stand located right beside the Buddha Tree when it started to pour. Within minutes there was a couple inches of water on the road but it was draining quite well. An hour after the rain ended, you could barely tell it had rained at all ! Seems those "useless" pipes were doing the job quite well. At least when it was raining and there was something to drain away.

395745555_RaininPattaya.jpg.7cd6cc35e73c5c9131998954cbb958b7.jpg  1802646086_Rainshower.jpg.cb0e054aad6ccb2e753ca4e69dabbb11.jpg

• Like 1