Indonesia's Aceh province publicly canes two gay men

rooster59

55 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Aceh isn't the the  whole of the country, it's just a province. They were granted special 'religous dispensation' in an attempt to stave off their desire for independance.   https://reliefweb.int/report/indonesia/political-history-aceh

The rest of Indonesia is pretty secular but still intolerant of homosexuality (like most Muslim nations). They don't go as far as flogging people but the LGBT community face discrimination both legally (no same sex marriage) and personally with many gay people never coming out to family and friends.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Indonesia  

As critical as one could be of Indonesia and Muslim nations in general though, a lot of Christian countries have only recently started recognising same sex couples, with gay marriage only legal in the UK since 2014 and in the US since 2015. 

So you are saying Aceh is a province of Indonesia. I am not intolerant of Homosexuals as long as their goings on is kept private.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

So you are saying Aceh is a province of Indonesia. I am not intolerant of Homosexuals as long as their goings on is kept private.

Huh?

What do you mean?

Wearing a rainbow garment?

Holding hands?

A closeted friend of family member coming out to you?

Having a photo of a partner on their desk?

Or scaring the horses by copulation on the streets?

You really need to clarify or your professed "tolerance" is meaningless.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You mean when the Church was encouraging Galileo to think freely?

I think the take home point was that at times the various churches and religions were the source and protectors of early science, observance of nature and order,  philosophy and the like.

At other times those institutions have felt threatened by that same yearning and learning.

Absolutisms are absolutely wrong imho... ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Huh?

What do you mean?

Wearing a rainbow garment?

Holding hands?

Having a photo of a partner on their desk?

Or scaring the horses by copulation on the streets?

You really need to clarify if your professed "tolerance" is meaningless?

OK,  holding hands and kissing in public. I have been in the company of homosexuals, and talking to them, and have no qualms about that at all, so yes, I am tolerant of them. If I was in Pattaya and someone introduced me to you, I would be happy to shake your hand.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK,  holding hands and kissing in public. I have been in the company of homosexuals, and talking to them, and have no qualms about that at all, so yes, I am tolerant of them. If I was in Pattaya and someone introduced me to you, I would be happy to shake your hand.

That's good to hear because there are so many people in the world that are virulently homophobic and are offended by gay people just being naturally and normally themselves in public.

You shouldn't be shaking hands with people these days though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, Enoon said:

Not so, without them there would have been far less learning and study of science and mathematics than there has been.

For an example read about European Monasticism in the mid/late Medieval period.

It is true that some present day societies are stuck in a an "adolescent" stage, which their repressive versions of religious doctrine ensure the continuance of.

But the West would not have risen to such power without the dispute (The Reformation) that took place about "correct" religious belief.

Out of that dispute was born the plurality of belief, thought and investigation that brought about the agricultural, scientific and Industrial revolutions, and the establishment of modern Democracy.

It lead, ultimately, to societies that are easily able to accept atheism.

Something that the Atheofascists might do well  to spend a little time thinking about.

What  about religious fascism? How many countries have been invaded, entire people killed (think about how America was conquered and the Amerindian culture and people exterminated by Bible thumpers), how many people have been enslaved by “good” Christians and Muslims (again think about America but also Arabs among others)? What about terrorism in the name of religion? True, there was the Golden Age in Bagdad, the Reformation in Europe  but they do not exonerate religious perversions. Wasn't Hitler a Christian? Wasn't Stalin a seminarian?  And what about the way Popes have been behaving throughout the centuries? What about the Inquisition?   And try saying out loud today in a Muslim country that you are an atheist!  Look how science is decried today by people carrying the Bible, and the Coran. Reformation would have happened anyway because ideas evolve even within churches, synagogues, mosques and temples. There would be much more to say about how religions have kept and are still keeping millions in ignorance  but I’ll rest my case. Go on  believing in your fables, worshiping your gods and leave your “Atheofascists” alone. 

On 1/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, Enoon said: