Moving USA -> UK

I'm a UK citizen and have been married to my Thai wife since July 2019. We both live in the USA and have permanent residence (Green cards).

I'd like to move back to the UK in 2024. I have no clue whatsoever about UK visas whatsoever. Is there anything I can do over the next few years whilst we are living together in the USA to take the first steps so that my wife can come back to the UK with me please?

Thanks,

Under the current rules she'd need to apply for a Settlement Visa, and meet the requirements currently in place, finances, language skills, NHS Surcharge etc, they may well have changed by the time she's ready to apply, they might not but they might.

I'm not sure that there's much she can do at this moment in time, she will need to meet the requirements that are in place when she applies.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Under the current rules she'd need to apply for a Settlement Visa, and meet the requirements currently in place, finances, language skills, NHS Surcharge etc, they may well have changed by the time she's ready to apply, they might not but they might.

I'm not sure that there's much she can do at this moment in time, she will need to meet the requirements that are in place when she applies.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Thanks @theoldgit

Her English is pretty good. Does it matter that I do not reside in the UK? (Thats really what I am worried about). 

23 minutes ago, capin said:

Her English is pretty good. Does it matter that I do not reside in the UK? (Thats really what I am worried about). 

No that fact you don't live in the UK doesn't matter at all, many UK people on this forum reside in Thailand and then decide to move to UK with their partners.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 3:12 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I don't think this is any different from any Thai spouse moving to the UK with her UK husband, so the usual rules apply.

The UK guys that have done this will, I assume have a ton of advice 

Makes sense, Thanks.

I was worried as I read this excerpt from https://www.visalogic.net and I am not ordinarily resident in the UK.

What is a spouse visa?

Also known as a UK marriage visa, a spouse visa allows married partners of UK citizens to immigrate to the UK because they are married to someone who is 'settled in the UK' - i.e. a person who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK.

23 minutes ago, capin said:

What is a spouse visa?

Also known as a UK marriage visa, a spouse visa allows married partners of UK citizens to immigrate to the UK because they are married to someone who is 'settled in the UK' - i.e. a person who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK.

I think the issue is that to bring your Thai wife to the UK you 'may' have to show some history of finances in UK. You will need to show you have either had enough money untouched in a bank for the last 6 months (probably about £60K) or have had an income from a company for 6 months that would continue on arrival in uk. Or a combination of the two. 

You may well find yourself having to get yourself settled in the UK first before bringing her unless your employment can move to Uk or you have enough money in the bank.

Moving her to the UK with no money in the bank and no job will be off the cards in my opinion for 6 months at the least without the dosh or sponsorship

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, capin said:

Makes sense, Thanks.

I was worried as I read this excerpt from https://www.visalogic.net and I am not ordinarily resident in the UK.

I've previously assured you that the fact you don't currently live in the UK wouldn't affect your wifes application, the Immigration Rules are very clear on that fact, as I also said on Monday, many UK Nationls living in Thailand have returned to the UK with their spouses.

This is the relevent section in the guidance I provided the link for previously, your  wife qualifies because you're a British Citizen the quote from your agent is misleading as you only have to meet one of the requirements.

Apply as a partner or spouse

To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also either:

• be a British or Irish citizen
  • have settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
  • have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think the issue is that to bring your Thai wife to the UK you 'may' have to show some history of finances in UK. You will need to show you have either had enough money untouched in a bank for the last 6 months (probably about £60K) or have had an income from a company for 6 months that would continue on arrival in uk. Or a combination of the two. 

You may well find yourself having to get yourself settled in the UK first before bringing her unless your employment can move to Uk or you have enough money in the bank.

Moving her to the UK with no money in the bank and no job will be off the cards in my opinion for 6 months at the least without the dosh or sponsorship

@capinas I mentioned on Monday there are financial requirements to be met, the quote from the previous poster is a misleading simplification.

You do have to prove that you have an income of at least £18,600, though there are other ways of meeting that requirement, I've attached the guidance for you to read through but feel free to ask how your personal circumstances might qualify.

appendix-fm-1-7-financial-requirement-v6.0-ext-2021.pdf

• Thanks 1