Water filtration advice

I'm looking at getting a water filtration system installed. Just for drinking water.

I see there is significant variations in cost and wondering if anybody has had experience with cheaper versions and what the benefits are of going to the more expensive. They seem like a fairly basic concept to me and I find it difficult to understand why the costs would be so significantly different, apart from increasing profit margins. Where I'm happy to pay the right product I don't subscribe to the belief that you get what you pay for, so I want to arm myself with some good information.

I also understand that there are considerations for filtration cartridge costs down the track, so this may come into the equation?

Also one other thing that I have noticed, from my very limited experience, is that the water flow is quite slow. Maybe this is somehow improved or more expensive models?

Thanks in advance. 

PS This will sound ridiculous, but so it does not derail the thread, I'm not really interested in comments regarding the quality or taste of the water at this stage.

7 minutes ago, 1 said:

PS This will sound ridiculous, but so it does not derail the thread, I'm not really interested in comments regarding the quality or taste of the water at this stage.

Then what exactly are you interested in?  Safe drinkable water?  From what source?  In Bangkok tap water is safe to drink - other places not so much.  But do not understand quality (safety) not being a factor or taste if already drinkable.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1 said:

I'm looking at getting a water filtration system installed. Just for drinking water.

I see there is significant variations in cost and wondering if anybody has had experience with cheaper versions and what the benefits are of going to the more expensive. They seem like a fairly basic concept to me and I find it difficult to understand why the costs would be so significantly different, apart from increasing profit margins. Where I'm happy to pay the right product I don't subscribe to the belief that you get what you pay for, so I want to arm myself with some good information.

I also understand that there are considerations for filtration cartridge costs down the track, so this may come into the equation?

Also one other thing that I have noticed, from my very limited experience, is that the water flow is quite slow. Maybe this is somehow improved or more expensive models?

Thanks in advance. 

Your post scriptum actually sounds VERY ridiculous, as the whole IDEA of a filtration system is to improve the quality, health and taste of the water coming in to going out...

If your water quality (incoming) is very bad (dirty, smelly), then you will need a bigger system with higher cleaning / disinfecting quality which ultimately will cost you more. If your water is already of pretty good quality (i.e. from your own well), then you will not need a high-end system and no system with integrated UV filters etc. and then you can save money. Do you have a water tank? If so, then most of the dirt in the incoming water can already settle and you might again not need a too big system. 

Filter systems normally to not impact the water flow speed, or at least not substantially. Water speed has to do with the incoming water pressure which you can improve with the right pump (not too big, otherwise the water lines could burst, specially on joints). 

11 minutes ago, 1 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Well it derailed for me. ????

Try many types of filters also proper systems cost big dosh and need maintenance. 

Best idea yet for us for good taste in drinking water. 

Gadget 1.99 bht and to replace water 15 bht. 

IMG_20210201_092012.thumb.jpg.a00765e34717104e9b284eb53be3e04a.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Then what exactly are you interested in?  Safe drinkable water?  From what source?  In Bangkok tap water is safe to drink - other places not so much.  But do not understand quality (safety) not being a factor or taste if already drinkable.  

I didn't really think through the relevance of those issues.

I'm living in a condominium in Pattaya.

I clearly want safe drinking water but at this stage I'm just trying to understand functionality. And yes I know that will form part of the functionality.

Why mess about, if its just you and your concerned, buy bottled at a few baht per 25ltr or less why bother. You'd spend more on the u it and cartridges than you would on bottled (possibly).

Depends where and how you live I suppose.

As said above if living in a condo probably better to just buy your drinking water (or use the filtration unit at condo if properly maintained).  If pouring from a bottle is an issue they make easy to use pumps and no flow problems.  Perhaps buying a water cooler could serve you well if space to put.  

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the advice. But I'm clear what I want. I had been using bottled water for 4 years. Now I want a water filtration system. Hopefully I will get a post soon from somebody with their experience about that.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, 1 said:

Thanks very much for the advice. But I'm clear what I want. I had been using bottled water for 4 years. Now I want a water filtration system. Hopefully I will get a post soon from somebody with their experience about that.

Cheers

Google is your best friend

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seajae said:

we have just built a new house and had a well put in, we bought the Mozuma high performance water filtration system

Great thanks for that.

Do you have any thoughts on its performance? Did you do much research? What made you select this model?

Thanks

23 hours ago, 1 said:

Great thanks for that.

Do you have any thoughts on its performance? Did you do much research? What made you select this model?

Thanks

we actually looked at several different types of filters prior to buying this one then once the well was dug and we had water coming from it so that we could see what it was like we settled on this one. The water was clear and did taste ok but for safety sake we wanted extra insurance, this one does everything to ensure well filtered water for drinking and cooking which is what we wanted, we also looked at bigger models as well as ones to use in direct lines to/from the tank but they were not really needed with the quality of the water. When they reached the water while drilling(around 40 metres) a lot of clean yellow sand was brought up which they said was a good sign as it would  also  filter the water

• Thanks 1

I have a 5-stage filtration system for drinking water. You can buy one at Big C, Tesco, Home Pro or order from Lazada. The cost will vary between suppliers and brands from 1200-2000 baht.  The one I have is a Colandas system. I change the filters at least once a year and a set of 5 replacements filters cost about 350 baht.    

• Thanks 1

To filter water you need to know what you need to take out, or eliminate. So first test. OP has most likely surface water. That is complete different from (probably very satisfied) people who need to filter deep well water.

You need to know what you have, and you need to know what you want to achieve. Taking the advise from a satisfied user is like asking what medicines you got for your headache? And then start to tke the same medicine.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 10:41 AM, seajae said:

The water was clear and did taste ok but for safety sake we wanted extra insurance

The fact that the water from your private well looks, tests and smells OK means exactly nothing.

You've been wise to go with extra "insurance" but I would say that it  provides you with a false feeling of safety since you don't know what is in your water.

You won't know If any bad stuff present and if your filtration system is capable of handling that particular stuff.

And the only way to know is to order a complete water test of your well sample from a testing lab.

It costs around 6000 baht and will give precise readings of pretty much everything.

e.g. you can have a great tasting water but be totally unaware if it's high on fluoride, or anything else that doesn't affect taste.

Thailand is known to have many areas where ground water is loaded with that stuff.

It has no smell and doesn't add any taste.

And if your filtration system is not great at removing that you might have a long term problem on your hands.

2 hours ago, unheard said:

The fact that the water from your private well looks, tests and smells OK means exactly nothing.

Really? I thought if it looks, tests and smells okay it meant it was okay. How many times does it have to be tested?

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Really? I thought if it looks, tests and smells okay it meant it was okay. How many times does it have to be tested?

It can be tested just once, but the lab will ask to send in several containers in the same shipment (they suggest emptying previously unopened drinking water bottles and then re-filling them with water to be sampled in order to avoid contamination).

btw, normally any permitted water-well driller will ask if you want to test water upon the drilling job completion.

I think it's a normal procedure now to provide such a service.

I'd assume it would be not the cheapest.

There are several options though.

One can send the samples in by mail, just like I've described above, or the lab will send their tech to you to collect samples at your address, but for the price, of course.

Convenience will cost you 14000 baht extra.

This company will do a comprehensive test for 6000 baht after you send them samples.

https://www.testtech.co.th/th

On 2/5/2021 at 8:53 PM, Yellowtail said:

You may not be aware of it. But you are commonly what is referred to as the troll. You are just making judgmental comments and opinions about individual users posts. You have so far offered absolutely zero to my thread. I'm seeking information about water purifiers. So maybe if you have nothing to offer on this subject you should just SOWWOW!

The Oxymoron here is that I'm sure this will just encourage you to post again. Because I think you have a very shallow intellect. ????

Edited by 1

52 minutes ago, 1 said:

You may not be aware of it. But you are commonly what is referred to as the troll. You are just making judgmental comments and opinions about individual users posts. You have so far offered absolutely zero to my thread. I'm seeking information about water purifiers. So maybe if you have nothing to offer on this subject you should just SOWWOW!

The Oxymoron here is that I'm sure this will just encourage you to post again. Because I think you have a very shallow intellect. ????

Are you baiting me?  I don't think it's a oxymoron (at least as I understand oxymoron) but it is ironic.

I think what you meant to say was: "The..." irony "...here is that I'm sure this will just encourage you to post again."  Does that not sound better?

In any event, as others have indicated, you need to get your water checked before you know what (if any) treatment is needed. The CDC has a great website:

Choosing Home Water Filters & Other Water Treatment Systems | Drinking Water | Healthy Water | CDC

Most filters use consumables , so it is important that you understand what they cost and that they will be available. 

If your water is not safe to drink, do not just buy a filter and start drinking the water thinking it's okay, as it likely will not be. 

• Thanks 1