US Topic - Activation of stimulus debit card, anyone?

Last April my 1st stimulus payment arrived in the form of a check to my home in California.
Last month the 2nd payment arrived, it took a bit longer, 3 weeks after it was announced. I got photos of both front and back of the card, it looks just like any regular debit card, with an US 800 number for activation. Before I do that, just wanted to check in here and see if anyone has activated this kind of card, and if there was any step that is extra and requires other relevant info. Thank you in advance for any heads up.

24 minutes ago, watthong said:

Last April my 1st stimulus payment arrived in the form of a check to my home in California.
Last month the 2nd payment arrived, it took a bit longer, 3 weeks after it was announced. I got photos of both front and back of the card, it looks just like any regular debit card, with an US 800 number for activation. Before I do that, just wanted to check in here and see if anyone has activated this kind of card, and if there was any step that is extra and requires other relevant info. Thank you in advance for any heads up.

I did not get a card, but I heard it is very simple to activate and nothing extra is needed to do so even if you live in Thailand.

You can also simply transfer any amount to your bank account.

• Like 1

I don't like this card. I had check first round.  It requires you to create an account to transfer it which links a bank account.  Also activation seemed to be needed to be done by phone and required last 6 of SS#.  So they have lots of info in one place that's not a government entity.   It took a couple days to transfer.  

• Like 1

It’s actually very easy.

I got my first EIP via paper check .. and that went to a oz. This time I got my smaller EIP via that Debit card..

If you follow the directions, it’s actually very easy.. as noted, you can also have the funds directly sent from “the card” to your US based bank - no fees....  you can also pull the funds from any ATM.. but many arms will still hit you with fees UNLESS you use one of the Money Pass network ATMS- then it’s free.. lastly can also use it for day-to-day spend.. alike any other pre-paid debit card...

• Thanks 1
On 2/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, watthong said:

I got the card. Called the number and was prompted to verify the last 4 of my SS number and add a password.

When done my card was active.  I logged into their website and did a free ACH transfer to my US bank as the fees to use the card in Thailand were outrageous. 

Hope this helped you..

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody, mission accomplished:

First, calling 800 to activate card. Simple, straightforward, nothing unusual here.

Second, logging on (actually registering first and then logging on) the eip website. Aslo simple and straightforward (surprise, surprise). Registration requires phone number and email address to verify, along with a couple of security questions (what's the name of your 1st school, dog, wife, etc...)

Third, transferring the balance to bank account. Also easy peasy. Asked for bank routing number, checking or saving, bank account number and when you click go, it comes back and says (in my case anyway) "transfer successful" - "money in the bank 2 - 3 days."

Actually it took one day and a half, maybe sooner. I made the transfer yesterday morning, and today evening the money is in the bank. Again I'm surprised at the easy and speed of EIPcard operation. Bravo and big thanks to US government for doing it right this time. Last but not least, thanks to all TV members who have chipped in with their input, much appreciated.

I needed last 6 digits of SS #.  That's basically the whole thing since not many different first 3 digits.  Also had to verify an email address, and phone number, and a few security questions ( hopefully everyone is smart enough to spoof those) and if you transfer to a bank account then 1 non government entity picked by the last administration has all this verified info in one database.     I smell a skunk.   Anyone happy with 1800$ in a year of covid or the fact that high income people also got it are crazy.  

Nothing wrong with a paper check.  

Just imagine being a homeless person with no bank account.  Maybe you have a phone or not.   It's a highly technical process for those that need it most.  And for what end goal?  How much $ will be left unused?  And was the bidding for this lucrative contract above board?  What % fee is this entity charging compared to paper check?   

Edited by Elkski