Elite Card members to rescue Bangkok’s sluggish luxury condo market

webfact

Someone I know rented a 35sqm condo on Sukhumvit 40 about 1km from Gateway Ekkamai. Purchase price was about 5.5 million fully furnished, rented for 13,000 baht. This place is from a well known developer that makes cookie cutter condos, but this one is actually quite nice low rise and it really feels like hotel quality.

Verbatim from rental agent who manages these condos for Taiwanese investors is that a lot of them are refusing to transfer money due to fall in rental prices. These agents are struggling to get paid and also struggling to find tenants. These condos can now be had for 4 million as is the case with majority of projects who will simply offer discount on the amount they are owed. Basically investors paid 30% down and this is the amount that will get you a discount. I have visited a bunch of these projects myself in the past 3 months amazingly (or not) they are still for sale even at these prices. 

So I am kinda surprised that 70% of units priced over 10 million were sold in 2020. Maybe the discounts were much better than 30%.

• Like 1

I used to be interested in a TE card, but no longer. I also considered buying a condo, the P/E ratio is terrible as stated, but the main reason for me was the hassle of owning a place I have to take care of or communicate with the PM office. 

So many attractive rental properties, I don't see myself buying anything even with prices dropping. 

• Like 2

Does no one in the meetings that these guys have speak up and suggest they hold back on the next ‘we’ve saved Thailand’ announcement because they’ll make themselves look like complete monkeys ??!!!!!  

Even the Monkeys are smarter than theses guys

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

10 Million gets you a lot more than a condo in Bangkok. That is a really nice villa setup in someplace nice to live.

Magnificent Mountain View 5 BR 4 Bath Pool Villa + Maid's Room

Who actually is on the Chanot for such a property? Illusion.

• Like 1

The Elite Card holders found out they were nothing special when they tried to get into Thailand last year. The price was increased to 600k. Logically the price is increased when there are fewer takers?

So many incentives...... difficult to say no....

9 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

The Elite Card holders found out they were nothing special when they tried to get into Thailand last year. The price was increased to 600k. Logically the price is increased when there are fewer takers?

So many incentives...... difficult to say no....

Very much so...  That said, I don’t think any Thai Elite Members think or thought they are ‘special’... the name just seems to give ‘non members’ that impression.  ‘Elite’ is a downright stupid name... They could have / should have just called it something such as ‘Thai Visitors Card’ or something similar and it would have received far less negative press.

That said: When Members have paid 1 million baht or even 500,000 baht for the government sanctioned right to a visa their exclusion from entry between April and August of 2020 highlights an atrocious degree of disregard by the very same government that approved the scheme. 

Unfortunately, this is a damning testament to Thailand’s hunger for money without providing true value. 

I am a member of Thai Elite, I had no issues returning in July under a Non-Imm O visa (marriage), but was wholly disappointed that this was even necessary. It must have been very annoying for Thai Elite members to sit by and witness this disregard, the same for those on retirement visas.