Wrapped in Brexit red tape, a UK freight firm struggles to trade

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, transam said:

And why not, we can go from ham sandwiches to dodgy vaccine stuff, things that you remainers are very quiet about. Plus the dodgy vaccine stuff was not the EU leaders fault, it is always somebody else.....????

Then we have Macron, Germany's EU no.2, now looks like being taken out by M. Le Pen, oh dear, seems some ripples are emerging on land as well as with fishing.....:whistling:

But don't worry, all your click thinks the UK will be back bailing the EU out in the future.......:stoner:......:cheesy:

Uk is out, why blame others for the vaccine. Its all up to you.

Your crystal ball seems to be ok when you want it to be.

All smooth sailing is it? Facts say otherwise.

Edited by Sujo

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Your crystal ball seems to be ok when you want it to be.

All smooth sailing is it? Facts say otherwise.

Eeeeeeer, I think I just quoted facts that I have read, and I also never mentioned smooth sailing...????

Now come on chap, put a little more thought into it......:thumbsup:

Personally, I have no dog in this fight. Brexit doesn't affect me at all. I have no property, or business there. I don't even have a pension as I stopped living there in 1980 and paid no more contributions.

For me, the snippet below exemplifies Brexit, probably because I travel a lot for work:-

Brexiteer - "Look at my new blue passport, isn't it great"?

Remainer - "Yes, but, we now cannot live, or work in 27 other countries"

Brexiteer - "Yes, but its blue!"

Apologies to any Brexit supporters.

P.S. My first two passports were blue. Nice and sturdy. Nothing flimsy about them.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

The EU deliberately made things difficult for the UK, yet they were the first to jump in over the Covid vaccine, breaking the rules in the process. UK firms had plenty of time to make alternative arrangements, but didn't. It's time to hit back, Don't import from the crooked EU.

Import regulations from all over the world into the E are exactly the same. The only problem with the UK is, they forgot all of this, and thought - seen the promises of Boris - it would be all easy to the EU and the world would beg for UK products. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Over simplifying things doesn't make a good point - It's lazy and shows a complete disregard for the truth - and shows your brexiteer colors! There are a multitude of new regulations to go through, and a LOT of money has been added to the cost of our goods.

Dairy produce now needs a vet to sign an EU Export Health Certificate for each shipment and there is also new paperwork and requirements for organic products. These all cost money, and time.

The freight shipping industry needs to move fast - there are perishible goods on board! When your shipments have to have a ton of paperwork ready and checks on those goods, then of course the industry is going to suffer and slow down.

As everybody on this planet knows, and doing it for decades, except.. the British.

7 hours ago, Poet said:

Doesn't change the fact that the red tape in question is EU red tape. These firms are exporting, not importing. The EU could have chosen not to punish the UK in this way, and is clearly doing so to dissuade other countries from leaving.

Seamless internal trade was fine, but increasingly came with restrictions and obligations ,that limited the UK's autonomy in other areas, including external trade. This was removing existing rights of UK citizens and, so, had to be put to a vote at some stage.

If the EU had remained the common market it was originally presented as, and that the British people originally voted for, 99% of people would have continued supporting it.

The lining up to get INTO the UK is a lot longer than INTO the EU. the red tape, but especially the incompetence at British side is gigantic

Truckers Shun U.K. Ports to Avoid Brexit Red Tape - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poet said:

Doesn't change the fact that the red tape in question is EU red tape. These firms are exporting, not importing. The EU could have chosen not to punish the UK in this way, and is clearly doing so to dissuade other countries from leaving.

Seamless internal trade was fine, but increasingly came with restrictions and obligations ,that limited the UK's autonomy in other areas, including external trade. This was removing existing rights of UK citizens and, so, had to be put to a vote at some stage.

If the EU had remained the common market it was originally presented as, and that the British people originally voted for, 99% of people would have continued supporting it.

The lining up to get INTO the UK is a lot longer than INTO the EU. the red tape, but especially the incompetence at British side is gigantic

Truckers Shun U.K. Ports to Avoid Brexit Red Tape - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poet said:

8 hours ago, Poet said:

8 hours ago, Poet said:

The EU is requiring paperwork that no other country or trading bloc has ever required. It is clearly a punitive tactic. Bureaucracy as a weapon. No amount of education could have prepared traders for that.

You really do not have the faintest idea about customs declarations, not how simple it is to learn it. But, when the British ignored it since 2016... do not be astonished when all ends up in a failure. A British failure.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bannork said:

Time will tell. I believe we will rejoin in a few years, realizing the dreadful error we made.

"we will join"? You mean: we will apply again, and are then to the mercy of 27 EU member states if they want to take the risk to embrace such a (new) member again... I can imagine, that many of these "unelected bureaucrats" will not be in a rush...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yes, I have seen at least one newspaper now has been saying that more than 20 years - how the EU is doomed - it will soon fall apart and end... yet it is still here... and the UK is getting smaller (Northern Ireland and Gibraltar and possibly in the future Scotland).  So which union is more fragile?

7 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Yes, I have seen at least one newspaper now has been saying that more than 20 years - how the EU is doomed - it will soon fall apart and end... yet it is still here... and the UK is getting smaller (Northern Ireland and Gibraltar and possibly in the future Scotland).  So which union is more fragile?

\According the Daily Fail, the EU will crumble  shortly. Unfortunately other - British - survey promise differently.

Eur social survey member EU.webp

4 hours ago, Nout said:

More anti Brexit propaganda. Where's the headline: "EUROPEAN POLITICAL UNION VACCINE FAILURE"...

The UK, 2 months after Italy, has per million inhabitants the most corona casualties, thanks to completely ignoring + happy handshake program of Boris.

And these vaccins.. were semi-stolen by the British from Puuls in B as the more conscious EU did not approve them yet. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Personally, I have no dog in this fight. Brexit doesn't affect me at all. I have no property, or business there. I don't even have a pension as I stopped living there in 1980 and paid no more contributions.

For me, the snippet below exemplifies Brexit, probably because I travel a lot for work:-

P.S. My first two passports were blue. Nice and sturdy. Nothing flimsy about them.

.....and as we all know, the UK was free to chose whatever colour passport it wanted all along whilst in the EU. Another anti-EU lie.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Get your facts right...

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/margaret-thatcher-the-critical-architect-of-european-integration/

Thatcher’s uncompromising and often provocative rhetoric regarding European integration is probably best remembered through three famous public statements: “I want my money back!”; “We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at a European level”; and “No, no, no!”. The first summed up her negotiating strategy during the five-year struggle with her continental counterparts about Britain’s contributions to the European Community’s budget, a fight from which she was to emerge victorious in 1984. The second was the most trenchant sentence in her Bruges speech of 1988 about the future of the European Community. The third represented her adamant rejection in October 1990 of propositions to increase the powers of the European Parliament and the European Commission.

These bombastic statements demonstrate Thatcher’s readiness to fight to the bone for Britain’s national interest within the European Community, and they rather give the impression that she was an aggressive critic of European integration. But these must not blind us to the fact that there was much more to her European policy. The European integration process underwent a significant re-launch during the mid-1980s, after at least a decade of deadlock. By helping to bring about the Single European Act in February 1986 (the first significant change to the Treaties of Rome of 1957) she was, in fact, a central architect of European integration.

The European Council meeting at Fontainebleau in June 1984 represented a turning point, both for the European Community and for Thatcher’s European policy. The question of a rebate for Britain’s budget contribution was finally settled, and now Thatcher could turn her attention to a project close to her heart: the completion of the Single Market. Transforming the European Community into a great free trade area devoid of internal barriers went hand-in-hand with her domestic policy of liberalization and deregulation. Thatcher was never an enthusiast of a political union, let alone a federation, on the European level; rather, her priorities for the European Community mirrored her priorities at home – economic growth and tight budgetary discipline.

So where are my facts wrong?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm a sole trader, my total operation consists of just me. I internationally trade with Thailand and it takes me 2-3 hours per 40 foot HC container to deal with the paperwork in the UK ( it is then completed for me by my shippers).  Then once my goods arrive in Thailand it takes me 1-2 hours to complete the paperwork at this end where our ( me and my customer's )  import agent presents it to customs.

Job complete.  The only time international trade and the accompanying paperwork is a problem is when the receiving country wants to make it difficult.

That amount of effort for a container full of goods is one thing, but much of that paperwork is required for even the smallest shipment so is making trading unviable for some small businesses.

You are used to completing the paperwork, it's new to people who have only traded within the EU previously and some of them are taking time to get to grips with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

The MPs. If they didn't know what paperwork was required from the UK and EU, they could have asked the EU and decided what was needed on the UK side by working with Customs and Excise.

And you think the EU would have cooperated? ????

The EU (disgracefully) refused to discuss customs solutions on the Irish border until the WA had been signed, because they deemed that to be part of the 'future relationship' phase. Their desire to punish the UK took precedence over peace in Ireland. 

The EU had/have no intention of helping UK businesses. Hell hath no fury like a corrupt cartel scorned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

It was lies and exaggeration like this from the Remain side that helped Leave win the referendum. Some remainers still believe this sh , sadly 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I have to look at my wobbly plum duff EU one for another 4 years! ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1