Wrapped in Brexit red tape, a UK freight firm struggles to trade

snoop1130

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The lining up to get INTO the UK is a lot longer than INTO the EU. the red tape, but especially the incompetence at British side is gigantic

Perhaps, as someone who somehow managed to post the same thing FOUR times, you should be a somewhat slower to attribute incompetence to others.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

It seems true that it is the small businesses are having the biggest difficulties, partly because they don't have (or can afford) the staffing, expertise and resources needed for the new exporting regime. However, the final trade agreement is still new. Of course time will be needed for SME's to adjust although many of them could have probably been better prepared (for various scenarios).. 

The transition period was meant to be the time when businesses adjusted their processes. However, given that the changes weren't confirmed until the last week of December, this was impossible.

I'll pre-empt someone mentioning Covid as an excuse. Of course, it had an impact. But then why not extend the transition period? The offer was there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Poet said:

We also created the single market (Thanks Margaret Thatcher) to be a part of something larger.

I don't know what YouTube channel you are getting your history from, but none of that is true.

1988 Apr 18 Mo
Margaret Thatcher

Speech opening Single Market Campaign

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107219

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

You posted this ridiculous video "no no no" In response to my post that M. Thatcher was the 'mother' of the free trade bloc. “No, no, no!" summed up her negotiating strategy during the five-year struggle with her continental counterparts about Britain’s contributions to the European Community’s budget, a fight from which she was to emerge victorious in 1984. 

Quite frankly, I don't know why you posted a video on a completely different subject. It is common knowledge that she was the architect of the free trade bloc - as I have referenced twice now in this thread.

And for your other point - Winston Churchill is widely regarded as the father of the EU. He is even listed as one of the eleven founding fathers on the EU's website, and has a building bearing his name in the EU. Furthermore, your quoted Churchill phrase was NOT said in 1953 - it's a fake quote. It's two phrases he said almost 14 years previously that have been stitched together.

https://neweuropeans.net/article/604/revealing-deception-about-winston-churchill

So there you have it. Your facts are not facts, they are made up quotes.

This ridiculous video "no no no" shows that Thatcher became anti EEC by the end of her time as PM. The rebates were secured earlier (by 1984) and the VDO has nothing to do with that. She was not the 'mother' of the 'free trade bloc' (whatever that is) but she did promote the Single Market. 

Churchill is certainly not widely regarded as the father of the EU although did he promote the united European idea (for continental Europe), try Monnet and Spaak instead.

The quote is just a quote. Who vets them? Oh, I know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, RayC said:

The border guards may have been a bit petty, but I'm not sure we need to call in the UN to mediate on this matter.

I've seen very few people trying to defend the Commission on this issue, least of the member states. The Commission made a pig's ear of things. 

What point are you trying to make?

France is an important EU member and what happens in their domestic politics obviously impacts the EU. But what exactly do you want the EU to do about the French Presidential election?

".. Germany's EU no.2..." Sorry. Lost me again.

????

So, to paraphrase, Remainers being quiet about ham sandwiches and dodgy vaccines is an indication that we expect the UK will bail out the EU in the future?

Think you are missing some of your clubs input.....

Your club reckons the UK will apply to rejoin the EU, the UK ploughed huge amounts into the EU.

So, the UK will bail out the EU with cash your hands out countries cannot, if what your club reckons comes true...????...

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

This ridiculous video "no no no" shows that Thatcher became anti EEC by the end of her time as PM. The rebates were secured earlier (by 1984) and the VDO has nothing to do with that. She was not the 'mother' of the 'free trade bloc' (whatever that is) but she did promote the Single Market. 

Churchill is certainly not widely regarded as the father of the EU although did he promote the united European idea (for continental Europe), try Monnet and Spaak instead.

The quote is just a quote. Who vets them? Oh, I know.

Ok, then please tell the EU that Winston wasn't a founder. Everyone else seems to think he is. The quote is not just a quote, Its fake news. If you're going to argue about something, at least make sure your quoting real things. It's the same as referencing harry potter to prove that magic is real. Why is it brexiteers are so lazy and cavalier with facts?

The free trade bloc is the single market. How do you not know that?

image.png.56b93447e06dafffec5b55e60d95329f.pngimage.png.ca4276c3047d7459e844ccaf0ef289dd.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

For the Netherlands its actually still a good deal. Most of are far more international orientated and les nationalistic then the Brits. So doubt it will change support of the EU is good (but with people complaining) But nobody would ever think of leaving even the stupidest Dutch can see its an economic disaster. 

Has the Dutch got a government yet....Just in case you have a crisis.....?................:sad:

5 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Ok, then please tell the EU that Winston wasn't a founder. Everyone else seems to think he is. The quote is not just a quote, Its fake news. If you're going to argue about something, at least make sure your quoting real things. It's the same as referencing harry potter to prove that magic is real. Why is it brexiteers are so lazy and cavalier with facts?

image.png.56b93447e06dafffec5b55e60d95329f.pngimage.png.ca4276c3047d7459e844ccaf0ef289dd.png

"Why is it Brexiteers are lazy and cavalier with facts"....

Now isn't that statement fact-less....?

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

We still have a government in place that does things till elections are settled. Does that not work the same the world around. The old government goes on until a new one is elected ?

But there wont be much change in the new government as the biggest party stays the biggest so no real changes int he book. But just for your info our biggest party is far smaller then your non winning party. So there is always a coalition of parties. That is why we never get what we want 100% and are used to compromise. Helps a lot with feeling at home in the EU if you are used to compromise and dont put much on self-importance. 

A laid back attitude you mean.....Run the country with a laid back attitude....Oh well.....

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

OK I'll tell them. I can't remember anyone else on here ever suggesting that Winston Churchill was a founding father of the EU. The Council of Europe is not part of the EU and never was. The quote is a quote, it may be as erroneous as yours may be too. 

The Single Market did not commence until 1992 and it is far more than just the European free trade bloc I referred to, which was actually EFTA (1960).  How did you not know that?

16 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

That amount of effort for a container full of goods is one thing, but much of that paperwork is required for even the smallest shipment so is making trading unviable for some small businesses.

You are used to completing the paperwork, it's new to people who have only traded within the EU previously and some of them are taking time to get to grips with it.

Ahhh, change, when will it ever stop?  OK, I will further enlighten those that don’t ship or trade with foreign countries with the following.

That 2-3 hours of paperwork for export and 1-2 hours for import was for my first shipments 11 years ago. All I have to do now is change the dates, weights, container No. and seal number on the BoL ….an exasperating 10 minutes.

A little bit more work on import because the products I export change every shipment so on the packing list I may have to change some of those items too. Now down to 30 minutes on that side. If you are trading in the same products then again all you have to do is change the dates on the packing list and Invoice….again 10 minutes.

What you are describing is LCL and airfreight in which case IncoDocs is available on the internet and is easy. Thankfully I’m in Thailand where nothing is a challenge and too much work.

No one won or lost with the decision to leave the EU, there will undoubtedly be some negative impact, Do I care? No. I wasn’t in the UK at the time of the vote and was too busy running a company to get involved with politics.

This ‘we were right you were wrong’ conversation is ok up to the point where those that lost the football match go home and spend the next 4 years wishing that the ball gets a puncture to spite the other team.

I’ll be trading with the EU, the UK and the Far East this year and achieving something regardless of any negative impact from leaving the EU. It’s called moving on.

• Like 2

am going to take 30 seconds of my time.... the first ones to complain about Brexit were the fisherman and they voted for it, then the ones on the financial sector, then the ones on the transportation sector, then the ones on the packing/processing sector and today another one.

Edited by onthedarkside
weblink added for cited article
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1