Can a tourist visa be extended?

Hello there, i am currently in Thailand, and am looking to get my sister to visit me from the UK.

She literally has no clue about filling in the forms, and submitting them to the Embassy in London etc, so i am trying to do them all for her here remotely. 

I am aware she can visit on a one month tourist visa, with the quarantine period. Once she gets here can she extend this visa ? Would we have any options? Ideally i'd like her to spend 3-4 months with me. 

A tourist visa applied for at a embassy allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days (a visa cannot be extended).

Or are you actually asking about a visa exempt entry that now allows a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

You can find info by starting here on the embassy website. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

And on this page. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

You will find this.

"**Holders of British/Irish passports, as well as 54 other nationalities entitled to 30-day visa exemption, can go to Thailand for tourism purpose for up to 45 days without visa. Proof of air tickets that the applicant will not overstay and health insurance are required for COE application.**"

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A tourist visa applied for at a embassy allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days (a visa cannot be extended).

Or are you actually asking about a visa exempt entry that now allows a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

You can find info by starting here on the embassy website. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/application-for-certificate-of-entry-to-thailand-for-non-thai-nationa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

And on this page. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

You will find this.

"**Holders of British/Irish passports, as well as 54 other nationalities entitled to 30-day visa exemption, can go to Thailand for tourism purpose for up to 45 days without visa. Proof of air tickets that the applicant will not overstay and health insurance are required for COE application.**"

Ubon thanks for the reply.

If my sister brings her child, and they eventually like it in Thailand - can she change the tourist visa to an education visa for her children (if she enrols in a school) and an 0 visa for herself?

In other words, can you CHANGE the visa type ?

OP, as mentioned you are most likely referring to visa exempt entry which has been increased to 45 days (to allow for the 15 day quarantine) That can be extended by 30 days.

She would be best served by obtaining a 60 day covid extension. 

How long does she wish to stay. 

Other options if she is older than 50

Edit: I did my post at same time as OP.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, as mentioned you are most likely referring to visa exempt entry which has been increased to 45 days (to allow for the 15 day quarantine) That can be extended by 30 days.

She would be best served by obtaining a 60 day covid extension. 

How long does she wish to stay. 

Other options if she is older than 50

Edit: I did my post at same time as OP.

Can you change a visa type ?

9 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

If my sister brings her child, and they eventually like it in Thailand - can she change the tourist visa to an education visa for her children (if she enrols in a school) and an 0 visa for herself?

In other words, can you CHANGE the visa type ?

A 60 day tourist visa entry can be changed to a 90 day non-ed visa entry at immigration (TM86 form) or with a visa exempt entry a 90 day  non-ed visa can be applied for (TM87 form). Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days a extension of stay based upon attending school can be applied for.

But she would not be able to change to 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration for being the parent of child attending school.

The best thing they could do is to find a school here for the children before they make the trip to here and then apply for non-ed visas at at the embassy and then she could apply for the a non-o visa.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

A 60 day tourist visa entry can be changed to a 90 day non-ed visa entry at immigration (TM86 form) or with a visa exempt entry a 90 day  non-ed visa can be applied for (TM87 form). Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days a extension of stay based upon attending school can be applied for.

But she would not be able to change to 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration for being the parent of child attending school.

The best thing they could do is to find a school here for the children before they make the trip to here and then apply for non-ed visas at at the embassy and then she could apply for the a non-o visa.

So to clarify my sisters child could transfer to an education visa?

What mechanisms could my sister then use to stay .. what visa options does she have to stay if she arrives on the tourist visa?

10 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

So to clarify my sisters child could transfer to an education visa?

Yes they could if attending a school that qualifies.

10 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

What mechanisms could my sister then use to stay .. what visa options does she have to stay if she arrives on the tourist visa?

There is a rule that might allow her to get a non-o visa for being their mother. But like an extension of stay for being the children's mother she would need 500k baht in a Thai bank to do the application.

It is number 15 here and for the children it is number 3. https://bangkokimmigration.com/change_visa/

Archived