Has Your Drinking Alcohol 'start time' changed on Retirement?

Pilotman

When I was working never drank during working hours, rarely finished before 7pm so the first drink was late. Since moving to Thailand it used to be 6pm at a bar. Tried to keep to that schedule up here but the wife has dinner ready by 6-6.30pm so have to start a bit after 4.30pm to get my 3 beer quota in before dinner.

Sports days are excepted.

• Like 1

Something I could never understand was working people who had counter lunches in pubs, with a few glasses of beer, then went back to work. In Australia back in the 60s/70s/80s I'd see "office johnnies" doing it all the time. I did try it myself a couple of times and it was always an unmitigated disaster. I'd end up staying in the pub for the rest of the afternoon playing pool and boozing and roll home drunk at 6pm.

• Sad 2

Got hair of the dog no cornflakes who moved toilet never mind bottoms up got no problem stop when I want mine’s a large one stout yeoman of the bar bloody yardarm keeps moving one for the road course I can drive zzzzzz....

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I was working in London, our managers used to take us out for champagne breakfasts. I remember one at Claridges that involved jugs of Margaritas along with smoked salmon Kedgaree (although Bucks fizz with Bagels and Lox breakfasts were more frequent).

Although now I'm older, I rarely drink before 10am.

what a job eh?

On 2/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, Pilotman said:

Has your a acceptable  'start time' changed since retirement?

Not much.

Before I used to enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner, but not everyday, and occasionally I had a drink.

Today I often enjoy a small drink (and it is small) after an afternoon/early evening walk with the dogs, i.e. around 6:30 pm, and later a glass of wine with my dinner. However, not every day, and I'm also fine without any alcoholic drinks at all, just like I was before.

When I'm out and driving, I don't drink alcohol; but occasionally ( and it is rare) one .25, or like size bottle, of 5-6 percent wine cooler early in the evening can be accepted (by me), if I'm going to drive back late, which for example could be dinner with friends and following entertainment with a muay thai match, so driving back is earliest about midnight; I presume any alcohol has burned out my body by that time...????

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, Pilotman said:

when I was working full time, my 'start time'  for alcohol consumption was set at 6pm, provided I was not flying next day.  In fact, it was a family rule.   Now its 4pm and I sometimes struggle with that self imposed restriction.   Has your a acceptable  'start time' changed since retirement? 

Don't drink anymore.   Don't drink any less either.    Usually start around Wine o'clock.

Did your "alcohol start time" change during your vacations when you were working?  How about on your days off.  Or did you abstain until "after working hours?" 

My old man's alcohol start time" was lunch along with his partners and friends. If he was fishing it was when we had the lines in the water.  If we were hunting it was after the shells were out of the guns, and the guns stowed away.  In university it was whenever we decided to throw a kegger.  Then if you live in places like Europe and even Russia, your "Alcohol start time" is probably radically different than the US.

My personal "alcohol start time" has always been a function of the situation and not some specific "time."
If you are drinking every day and have a start time then at least you have some control over your daily vice.  I don't drink daily so I wouldn't know.  All I know is when I'm working, I ain't drinking.  I don't know how the old man managed to do that or his generation.  But my generation?  When do you take your first toke, snort, or pill.  There is something sad about that.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:55 AM, Pilotman said:

when I was working full time, my 'start time'  for alcohol consumption was set at 6pm, provided I was not flying next day.  In fact, it was a family rule.   Now its 4pm and I sometimes struggle with that self imposed restriction.   Has your a acceptable  'start time' changed since retirement? 

Eight hours from bottle to throttle. Actually that was better than nothing but you still have a bunch of hungover pilots putting the public's safety at risk.  24 hours would be better.

38 minutes ago, Somchai Jackson said:

Eight hours from bottle to throttle. Actually that was better than nothing but you still have a bunch of hungover pilots putting the public's safety at risk.  24 hours would be better.

Denziel Washington shows how it's done on Flight.

48 minutes ago, Somchai Jackson said:

Its a myth.  No pilot I know would drink 24 hours before a flight.  Even in the Military the rule was 15 hours. Some airline pilots have been caught over the permitted limit, but it is thankfully a very rare event.  

Edited by Pilotman

11 hours ago, Tagged said:

The older I get the less I drink, but fine with some drink to lunch once and awhile. 

Last New year we decided to not drink for a year, and it was great. Now only a few drinks so far this year, and might just continue like this. 

Still not old, just 53 

Imo , you are too young to be on the wagon . 555

Are you a kindler ? . 

12 hours ago, Whale said:

After 65 I could not handle the headaches anymore, I now drink very little, compared to before, as do most old timers, I think.

The secret is take paracetamol , at night B4 sleep .

I wake up like a lark , in time for the Dawn chorus ...

• Sad 1

I don't drink before 6pm and rarely after 10pm - and then maybe only twice a week. Pretty much same as before retired.

Course this is usually blown if any of the wife's relatives arrive ,  who arrive with booze about 10am and start pouring out.

I think waking up with a few women that looked like Donald Duck put me off alcohol.