Ride the covid extentions?

Currently here on a tourist Visa, can do 60 days with another 30 day extension. I intend to apply for a retirement Visa at some point, but with these Covid extensions I'm wondering if I should ride out these out and wait to apply for the retirement Visa later.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I'm confused, I thought the seasoned 800K was a requirement for the retirement Visa. 

Sorry , I'm still trying to understand all of the Visa options.

The seasoned 800k is for 'extension based on retirement'. It is not a visa. It's a permission of stay that you renew every year.

The non o (retirement) is a visa. Giving permission to stay 90 days. Prior to that permit to stay ending you apply for your 12 month extension.

When you apply for that visa you will need the 800k in the bank on day of application. No seasoning needed.

However you will need to show that the money in bank came from o/s.

1 hour ago, Suphawk said:

Currently here on a tourist Visa, can do 60 days with another 30 day extension. I intend to apply for a retirement Visa at some point, but with these Covid extensions I'm wondering if I should ride out these out and wait to apply for the retirement Visa later.

Thoughts?

Keep a weather eye out on your passport. Otherwise you may find yourself in the unenviable position of scrambling about for a new one in this Covid situation. As formerly mentioned: "Why Put It Off?"

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Get a non O based on retirement. That gives you 90 days and in that time seasoning of your 800k possible.

Why put it off. Madness to me. 

I would tend to agree but would stop short of suggesting madness. After almost a year of being stranded here, some may not be so convinced that Thailand is their oyster and would need to eat those 1-year extension losses when they choose to leave the building as soon as feasible. For most, it's still a chore getting your money out of this country.

Some people managed to get off the 'amnesty' roundabout early and after getting some form of short-term extension or visa, went and got themselves street-legal for a year. This all based on the notion, long since kicked into touch, that Covid would blow over within 6-month and definitely 'before next year'. A year down the rabbit hole and beyond some wishful thinking from tourism touts, there's still no light at the end of the tunnel so some will be be thinking about renewing those 'early' extensions pretty soon.

I extended my visa-exempt entry from last March via a couple of covid amnesty extensions but when the wording became clouded and the notifications of availability started coming via their FaceBook page before their website (or worse, in a thread on this forum!), I bit the bullet last November and got sorted for 90-days. I will get the 1-year extension later this month. I consider my "milking it" for 11 months is enough.

Having to second guess Thai Immigration, keep tabs on special dates or go looking for expected announcements gets old fast.

2 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Only to defer the expense , that is all.

But I understand now, get it sorted sooner

All extensions cost the same, so the Covid-19 extensions actually add up to being more expensive, as they are only for 60 days each. Also consider that you need to go to immigration twice for each one (at most immigration offices).

if ur here on a tourist visa, you 1st need convert it to a NON O visa, valid for 90 days,

than you need put 800,000 in ur bank or have international transfers showing 65,000 baht/month ( varies how many months u need show at immigration offices so ask) 

Must be in ur account for 60 days before you apply for ur 1 year extension..

21 minutes ago, Caldera said:

All extensions cost the same, so the Covid-19 extensions actually add up to being more expensive, as they are only for 60 days each. Also consider that you need to go to immigration twice for each one (at most immigration offices).

3x actually.  once to get consideration, once to get reviewed, once to get your passport back from review.

5 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Thoughts?

I could see Thai Immigration keep extending until end of the year or even next year since tourist numbers are super low. It benefits Thai economy by have some tourists vs no tourists. "High" season is almost gone and it's down hill until end of the year. If you don't want to park your money(800K baht) in Thai bank  with Non O , keep extending with your tourist visa. You can always convert to Non O later but prepare in the event visa policy changes again.

Archived